Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Couple's 7-species Day on the Yak 4.12.14... Plus Bonus Report!

Default S.W.A.T. Couple's 7-species Day on the Yak 4.12.14... Plus Bonus Report!

Hey everyone! Jason and I took the kayak out for another test run in the harbor and had a pretty good day! We remembered having a 7-species day a while back so I looked at our old posts and turns out we had one exactly 4 years and 2 days ago on our inflatable at the same harbor, lol funny!

Anyways, so we got in the water a little before 0700. Water was chilly and there was a slight breeze, but there was nice cloud cover and things looked promising. We were definitely quicker and more comfortable getting from his truck to peddling in the water... not quite ready for a surf launch, but getting there!

After I missed a nice big bite, Jason caught the first fish of the day

Before the next bigger fish, I was able to catch about 4-5 micro turd rollers (not pictured). I was using a 3" swimbait and Jason was using a 4". We were both getting a lot of bites, but my smaller lead head was able to fit in those tiny mouths.

After about an hour or so, I hooked into this guy. I've missed these spotties! He put up a nice fight.

We were in a pretty good spot so we kept casting, hoping for another. Then I got stuck on something and had to break off (first of many today ). Jason's much faster at re-tying so he offered to do it for me. Since we were still hovering over the spot where I got that spottie, I suggested he drop his lure down while re-tying my lure, *just in case*... might as well have something in the water since we were both just sitting there. I SHOULD'VE just fished with his rod, but dammit I still need to learn how to use a baitcaster.

So, of course, with his hands full and me just sitting there relaxing, he gets a hard PULL on his rod. All I hear is, "Oh sh*t, oh sh*t, oh sh*t!" hahaha. I turn around and see that he has my line in one hand, a lead head in the other, and his rod in his lap that he's holding with his elbow (our rod holders are still being shipped ). He hands me my stuff so he can land the fish. So now my hands are full and my rod's in my lap, and this fish is pulling us into a bad spot, so I dropped everything to grab the paddle to get us outta there. Since I am not coordinated at all, and had no idea how to back up and steer us with a paddle, it was a challenge. But luckily we made it out and he was able to land the fish and it was all worth it.

First legal of the year. Taped out to just under 23". Released.
    Since it was MY idea for him to drop his lure down, I say it's part mine.

So the whole day we were getting these annoying little bites, and Jason was finally able to hook one of these guys. Pretty ambitious... the 4" swim bait was as thick as he was! 4th species and PB lizard fish

I was able to hook a few more mini sandies here and there before getting this nice surprise. Tiny, but we got the bass trifecta and 5th species.

Shortly after, I finally got a nicer model sandie.

And followed up with our 6th species... A little rockfish. hehehe

It slowed down quite a bit, the sun had come out, and we were pretty tired from peddling that we started to feel like this.

We took the time to try some new spots and experiment with the kayak, learning more about steering and getting more comfortable with it before calling it a day.

7th species, and first time catch/PB for me. hehehe

Although Jason *technically* caught the legal , the pink rod was the hot stick again today.

Jason:
    Spottie - 1
    Legal Hali - 1
    Lizard Fish - 2

Me:
    Spotties - 2
    Sandies - too many to count
    Calico - 1
    Rockfish - 1
    Mackerel - 1
    Lures lost - 5 I guess that legal was Jason's reward for re-tying all my lures.

Before I go, I'd like to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone for your kayak tips and offers to help when we're brave enough to launch from the surf. We really appreciate all your support. It may take a few more outings but we're definitely getting there!

Til next time!

***QUICKIE BONUS REPORT 4.15.14***

Went out again for a quick afternoon session from about 6-8pm and hit some of our usual spots...

First fish was a nice 16" spottie

Next up was a PB lizard fish

Got a mini turd roller that shook off before Jason could snap a picture, followed by this mini calico.

Wind picked up and it got dark, but I managed to catch this last one on the way out.
    New species for me!

And that's all for now... til next time!

Tess
    Last edited by Tesserz; 04-15-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added Bonus Report

Nice job you two. That harbor has never been too kind to me in terms of numbers, and it may be because I fish with small lures. I guess it's time to supersize! lol. Enjoyed the post. Thanks! More posts I say!!!

Bravo once again! I guess it helps when I'm having to steer and position the boat 90% of the time and all your having to do is reel the fish in! Yes I do credit you partially for that legal hali and it was a good thing I was the person reeling it up because you might have farmed it like like the other mystery fish. I think Poseidon had some pity and gave me a quality fish to satisfy me for the rest of the day. Can't wait for our Yak accessories to come in so we can cover new territory.
    Last edited by Jaysuuun; 04-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Congrats on your new kayak!
    Sorry if this sounds like a bummer...
    Since nobody has mentioned it, you two should be WEARING your PDF's
    They are waaaay more effective on you, instead of in the back of your kayak
    Invest in some comfortable ones that you don't mind wearing all the time.
    From the guys that have been kayaking for a while (not me) it's not if you flip your kayak, it's when you flip your kayak and it will happen someday
    Also, have an idea what it takes to right it and get back into it
    Enjoy and be safe

What a terrific and enjoyable report. Nice variety of fish, looks like loads of fun!!

Looks like a fun day on the water.

Tim

Awesome job out there you two. Making it look easy......can't wait to see what happens when the fishing REALLY picks up.
    Best part is that this report is going to cause a mass exodus to the harbor so I can have some elbow room on the sand.
    Heck....maybe you two will even bump into the infamous "Spotted Fever".....LOL Where has that Steve guy been anyways?

Great to hear that you two are back in action! Love the rod Tess...very fitting. You know I played that "I don't tie as fast as you" card for a long time with my dad. Guess he probably knew all along it was just a line. Glad Jason got some karma points out of it and scored the legal. Looking forward to many more successful reports from you guys this year!

Don

Sounds like so much fun! Great job out fishing the misses, Tess. Lol. Like I said in the past, the pink rod has to stop showing up in the reports; otherwise, my wifey is gonna press me to get her one!

Oh hey, Jason, I guess you did good too. You really think that is the best place to lay a jaggedy toothed legal butt? I don't want to imagine what would happen if it started snapping away.

Skunked4life

Quote Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
    Congrats on your new kayak!
    Sorry if this sounds like a bummer...
    Since nobody has mentioned it, you two should be WEARING your PDF's
    They are waaaay more effective on you, instead of in the back of your kayak
    Invest in some comfortable ones that you don't mind wearing all the time.
    From the guys that have been kayaking for a while (not me) it's not if you flip your kayak, it's when you flip your kayak and it will happen someday
    Also, have an idea what it takes to right it and get back into it
    Enjoy and be safe
    I totally agree with you 100% which is one of the reasons why we've been keeping our outings limited to the harbor. As a matter of fact our PFD's are on the way as we speak. We feel comfortable enough to fish in the harbor without a PFD since there's plenty of dry land nearby and plenty of people to lend a helping hand. Heck, if bikini clad women can paddle board without a PFD, fishing without one is not any different.

As soon as our fishing PFD's are in, we plan on doing some self rescue drills in our pool before venturing out of the harbors. There are several different techniques that I've been researching and I would like to try all of them. WHEN we flip our yak we'll be prepared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast