Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lopez Lake 4/7-9

Default Lopez Lake 4/7-9

Lake Nacimiento is down to 28% of capacity so opted for Lopez Lake (down 50%) for 4 nights camping and 3 days on the water. Stopped at Ellens in Buellton for one of their humongous (2 person) cinnamon rolls. Then popped into Jockos Steakhouse in Nipomo for a steak sandwich, less than 1/2 for lunch, the rest for dinner. Had a whole campground loop to myself. Otherwise a flock of about 25 turkeys roosted nearby high up in the oak trees then noisily started their day at first light swooping down to hunt for breakfast sometimes right through camp as long as they didn't see me.
    From 10 to 15 or so boat trailers were at the ramp each morning. It's a 3 mile run around to the Lopez Canyon arm of the lake. That seemed to be where the cooperative large and small mouth bass (up to 3 lbs), carp and crappie were to be found. Some locals had other favorite crappie spots. There are apparently a few nice sized trout left over from a plant back in December.
    Had most of my action with a flyrod, 20 ft sink-tip line and an olive wooly bugger. Did try a little drop-shotting but had better results with a fly much to the chagrin of a fully kitted-out bass boat and fisherman who was watching me from very close by. He did catch a couple of nice 1 1/2 lb crappie drifting and jigging in about 10 feet of water. Spotted 3 bears along shore (no Goldilocks!) grazing on recently sprouted vegetation. Probably a very lean year in the back country for the bears with the drought.

Bass, bears, and turkeys? Sounds like a fun trip! Dang! Nacimiento is only at 28% cap.? That's sad.