Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimano castaic or good substitute

I only use the reel for pitching kelp and other heavy "vegetation" being able to engage the reel without pulling it back to my torso is pretty handy, atleast for me. I'll hold the rod out away from myself while the bait falls to control the drop and keep the line from laying on the kelp. It keeps the line from getting tangled and allows the bait to fall more freely. I'm sure I could do it with a regular bait caster but I have just gotten used to fishing that technique with the instagage.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    I only use the reel for pitching kelp and other heavy "vegetation" being able to engage the reel without pulling it back to my torso is pretty handy, atleast for me. I'll hold the rod out away from myself while the bait falls to control the drop and keep the line from laying on the kelp. It keeps the line from getting tangled and allows the bait to fall more freely. I'm sure I could do it with a regular bait caster but I have just gotten used to fishing that technique with the instagage.
    Ahh..I get what you're saying and it makes perfect sense that the Instagage is quite useful.

Looks like you're going to have to take care of that baby for a while.

Took the handle off my Cardiff 400, carbontex drag washers, new bearings, new SS drag plate, replaced some worn out springs and loaded with 65lb power pro. Tried to sell it a couple times but could never let it go for what I was offered. I’ve tried other reels off and on but always end up fishing this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C9863FEC-3131-4765-A4E8-07B8EFDC1A40.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	53172

Name:	A223BD19-AA3A-4AD0-BC34-9E269FE836C4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	53173

Name:	12D2C3F1-E47B-43AB-8EB9-C56E85738747.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	53174

By any chance you know where to get a low profile reel with instagage?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12