Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano castaic or good substitute

Default Shimano castaic or good substitute

I have a shimano castaic, by far my favorite flipping reel. I have been using it for the last 14 years or so and I can't find anything that comes close to its purpose built fish-ability. Is there anything out there like it today? I found a few "newer" models for sale used but i don't like that the clutch bar doesn't go all the way across on them. I was also considering re-building it with a recurve handle and new internals like drag, bearings and gears. Would shimano be able to match compatible parts since the reel is no longer serviceable according to their website. any info would be helpful. or maybe some one has one they would sell me?

Shimano makes the Core in a flipping version I believe its Core 100 MGFV.

what's wrong with the reel?

Drags, and bearings you can still get aftermarket, which shouldnt be an issue. If you have any gearing or a shaft thats bent, then you might have an issue.
    the other thing you might want to do is buy a old used curado and scrap it for parts for your castaic.
    on ebay you might even be able to find someone selling just the gears.
    it might warant a call to shimano and see if someone might have a spare old gear laying on their desk.
    they might ship it to you just toget it off their work station.
    they are killer reels. i have the newer model and like it alot too.

$400 is more than double what the castaic cost, i can't afford to tell my fiance i spent that much on a reel i didn't "need" since my castaic still works fine its just not low-profile and doesn't have the recurve handle. I had looked at the CORE in the past but its just too much money. I wish they would have made one more castaic model that was low profile with the swept handle and a full sized clutch bar. I will be calling shimano and maybe i can take it in to the office in irvine and buy the parts i want to replace if they have anything compatible. I was hoping that someone new of another brand that made a flipping reel with the instage style clutch bar.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    $400 is more than double what the castaic cost, i can't afford to tell my fiance i spent that much on a reel i didn't "need" since my castaic still works fine its just not low-profile and doesn't have the recurve handle. I had looked at the CORE in the past but its just too much money. I wish they would have made one more castaic model that was low profile with the swept handle and a full sized clutch bar. I will be calling shimano and maybe i can take it in to the office in irvine and buy the parts i want to replace if they have anything compatible. I was hoping that someone new of another brand that made a flipping reel with the instage style clutch bar.
    Unless gear ratio is that important to you, you're better off getting that reel serviced, and if you elect, upgrading the bearings.

If you're looking for a higher speed/lower speed retrieve in the gears, then perhaps emailing Shimano and asking them what gear sets your reel supports would be good route.

Although, if the gear set is working perfectly with the reel you own, I'd just upgrade the bearings. I dont think aftermarket spools are made for that early version of the castaic.

As far as the handle goes? I'm sure you can find aftermarket handles that'll work for your reel. But, these aftermarkets handles will cost you about $100 before shipping, and at that point, I'd rather upgrade the entire reel than spend hundreds upgrading just the handle.

Just my opinion.

look up Dans reel service, I'll try to get a number or website later. I believe Shimano is all he does but may be wrong. I've ordered Hybrid ceramics from him and he's in California. Also there is another site that I have used for my shimano parts needs for dis-continued reel parts, I'll try to get that info as well.

I have the resources to "fix" my castaic, I was really looking for a newer version of the reel with the features that i liked about it and the comfort of the new style reels. I might see if i can find a used CORE FV for a reasonable price and maybe I could get used to the new style off clutch bar, I'm just afraid that i might miss trying to engage the reel and in-turn lose the fish or worse have the fish bury herself back into the slop before I can haul her big arse out of there. I do appreciate all the helpful advise but I think we are headed in a different direction than i intended. But this is FNN after all good times... gooood times

Would shimano be able to match compatible parts since the reel is no longer serviceable according to their website. any info would be helpful. This is what made me think you were looking for part resources, I have had to go through other suppliers when shimano stopped carrying parts for some of.my many shimanos. Yours definitely looks like it is in good condition to rebuild and cheaper than a replacement so you keep the misses happy.
    I have the resources to "fix" my castaic, I was really looking for a newer version of the reel with the features that i liked about it and the comfort of the new style reels. I might see if i can find a used CORE FV for reasonable price and maybe I could get used to the new style off clutch bar, I'm just afraid that i might miss trying to engage the reel and in-turn lose the fish or worse have the fish bury herself back into the slop before I can haul her big arse out of there. I do appreciate all the helpful advise but I think we are headed in a different direction than i intended. But this is FNN after all good times... gooood times
    Last edited by bassmeister; 04-11-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Took the old castaic out last weekend to catch the two big bass pictured in my moonlighting report. Still does the job for sure. Got a little extra birthday money and was thinking about retiring my oldest reel for the core FV but now I can't find one anywhere... I want a modern low profile reel with instagage why did they stop making such a wonderful option available. I have a reel with the "flipping switch" never got used to that thing and always messed it up when using it and even when I wasn't intending to ues it.

I want a modern low profile reel with instagage why did they stop making such a wonderful option available.
    I'm curious on why you would still want that feature.

Can't you just click on the freespool to have line be released whenever you'd like? And then engage it by spinning the handle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast