Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing San Gabriel Reservoir Report with Video

1. Default Fishing San Gabriel Reservoir Report with Video

So, I finally made the hike to San Gabriel Reservoir.

Video: http://youtu.be/oMPT6_u0RlY

For those not familiar with the reservoir, it's a large body of water with a very limited amount of public access. To make it harder, actually getting to the accessible spot requires a long, steep trek down a fairly dangerous path. I don't recommend trying this one.

The water was rather murky, but the inlet with the creeks entering was quite clear. I spotted a large school of carp feeding in the shallows. Tossed a tiny micro crankbait on my ultralite trout rod out front, and WHAM, hookup. The sucker inhaled the crankbait, no snag, and put up a heck of a fight on light line. Also landed a small largemouth bass.

Really an interesting reservoir. Spotted a fly fisherman out there too, didn't see him land anything. Would be a neat lake to kayak or float tube, if it was allowed.

Outstanding and thanks, is that near the dam.

Nice. That place appears epic for LMB. I have seen large boils from the road while heading up to go shoot or fish the forks.
    Jumbo hold over trout, sure why not. Also near the mining camp I have caught LMB in the creek/river. I wonder how they got there. Mixed in with the stocker truck???

Holding true to your name Carpanglerdude. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Nice. That place appears epic for LMB. I have seen large boils from the road while heading up to go shoot or fish the forks.
    Jumbo hold over trout, sure why not. Also near the mining camp I have caught LMB in the creek/river. I wonder how they got there. Mixed in with the stocker truck???
    Perhaps those boils were from carp splashing about? I've been deceived by those overgrown goldfish in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    So, I finally made the hike to San Gabriel Reservoir.

Video: http://youtu.be/oMPT6_u0RlY

For those not familiar with the reservoir, it's a large body of water with a very limited amount of public access. To make it harder, actually getting to the accessible spot requires a long, steep trek down a fairly dangerous path. I don't recommend trying this one.

The water was rather murky, but the inlet with the creeks entering was quite clear. I spotted a large school of carp feeding in the shallows. Tossed a tiny micro crankbait on my ultralite trout rod out front, and WHAM, hookup. The sucker inhaled the crankbait, no snag, and put up a heck of a fight on light line. Also landed a small largemouth bass.

Really an interesting reservoir. Spotted a fly fisherman out there too, didn't see him land anything. Would be a neat lake to kayak or float tube, if it was allowed.
    Tried to fish there a couple of years ago....too steep for my 50 yr. old blood..love fishing but not that much...can't believe as kid used to fly up and down those trails.

Nice vid there,no threat of me going there,not with my knees,but sure looks great and fishy!

Cya Tuna Vic

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dday07 View Post
    Tried to fish there a couple of years ago....too steep for my 50 yr. old blood..love fishing but not that much...can't believe as kid used to fly up and down those trails.
    The trails are insanely steep. Definitely amongst the steepest I've done.
    Climbing back out of one of them required scrambling on all fours.

whats the depth of the water , last time i went it was bone dry no fish... looks like the past rains helped... what the deepest you think the water is right now... and did u see any trout?
    i thot it would be at least 5-10 years till it filled up with enuff water and untill the bass grew big enuff , i was really worried about the repopulation.

soo happy to see it filling back up...

great job on the video..

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aggs234 View Post
    whats the depth of the water , last time i went it was bone dry no fish... looks like the past rains helped... what the deepest you think the water is right now... and did u see any trout?
    i thot it would be at least 5-10 years till it filled up with enuff water and untill the bass grew big enuff , i was really worried about the repopulation.

soo happy to see it filling back up...

great job on the video..
    Water depth from the shore was hard to tell due to the silt, but I'd hazard a guess at 4ft near the dropoffs on the cliff bank. Lots of water! The creeks were flowing well too, pumping plenty into the lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast