Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Last 2 trips of the season

Default Last 2 trips of the season

I miss lobstering already. Here are the 2 last days of our lobster season. One is out in the LBC and one in the SMB. We did our usual March thing. Late afternoon red snapper fishing then finished up the evening with a quick limit of lobster.
    It was our best season yet. We thought we might of pulled off a no-hitter and had limits everytime we went out this season. We were hot 3/4 of the way through the season. Then we lost track of them and things went kinda slow. Then we got back on them and finished out the season strong. We had a 87% limit ratio. Much lower if I counted the times, I went out with other people. We didnt do much exploring this season. But one thing we learn is that they can be anywhere at anytime. I cant wait until to see what next season brings us.

Long Beach

The last week of lobster we decided to do one last one inside the harbor. We found a nice structure spot away from everyone in the middle of nowhere. No, it was not the gailforce shipping lane spot, but not too far from there.
    There was not usual gaint LBC lobster, but boy were they abundant at this spot. We got a late start, but we got it done by 9 with a 2 set limit. This spot saved us when the things started slowing down for everyone in the harbor. Dennis loves this spot because he didnt have to do much pulling and we got to go home early for Daikokuya.

Before we dropped our nets, we went to our usual red snapper spot outside the harbor. Here is Dennis with 2x vermillion. Didnt take to long to fill our limit and head back inside the harbor.

Got a late start because of fish cleaning, but we filled our slot limit in 2 sets and headed home.

Santa Monica

This was the last day of lobstering. We had this great master plan of running really far north. But we fooled around at the rockfish spots too long. By the time I set my chartplotter to the waypoint, I realized we might be there way after sundown. I wanted to get back before 12am, so there will no question on the legality on the last day of bugging. We stayed local. I didnt know what the hot spot were, so I did my triangle set to see how deep they were and how far they were deep in the cluster of rocks. Once I found out where most of them were, we bombarded the area and walked away with our limits on the next set. Done by 9 and went to get El Taruino before the club kids invaded it.

Stop by the usual March SMB rockfish spots. Very loaded with reds and the damn bocaccios. They are really getting out of hand in the SMB. We safely released most of them but some ended up being pecked by the birds. Circle of life.

Since we didnt drive all the way up north, we had some time for bassin. All you want calicos and sandies before sundown.

Triangle plan does it again. You dont need to be close to rocks to get them. Just find what depth and bomb it. Limits in the next set and back home. End of the season happiness.

What a great ending to the 2013/2014 lobster season. Here are some pictures of some nice ones we had from this passing season:

Secret local Southern California black bass spot. They go off at night and are still around in large numbers :)

See you all next time when I can muster up some more courage to post.
    Last edited by marzocchi; 04-08-2014 at 04:50 AM.

awesome report! way to go this season!

Very interesting! Demonstrating a great understanding of lobster movement and behavior. Kudos to you!