Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eastern Sierras Opener 2014

Quote Originally Posted by wildlife View Post
    Have only fished 5 openers , Sabrina to Pleasant valley and Convict and Crowley . Have a question for you guys ,I got a glimpse of a fish at Pleasant valley looked like a smallmouth . I talked to a local that said their in there but hard to catch , I know that big perch are in there but what I seen wasn't a perch . Anyone know ?
    Could have been an Owens River Smally. See Video Below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFl1WWP3zc

Quote Originally Posted by Coldsteel View Post
    Could have been an Owens River Smally. See Video Below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFl1WWP3zc
    Thanks for the response , I couldn't get a straight answer out of most of the locals . I really love fishing Pleasant Valley, near the dam mostly , can't wait to get up there again .

Have only fished 5 openers , Sabrina to Pleasant valley and Convict and Crowley . Have a question for you guys ,I got a glimpse of a fish at Pleasant valley looked like a smallmouth . I talked to a local that said their in there but hard to catch , I know that big perch are in there but what I seen wasn't a perch . Anyone know ?
    99.98% of the time your going to catch trout out of Pleasant Valley, I have however cought a few Smallmouth Bass in the dead of summer on the dam side, and have seen a Carp here and there. What you may have seen was a Beaver although it would have been much bigger than a Bass but I see them all the time swimming just under the water there.

I've never heard of or seen a smallie in PVR. The farthest north I've seen them is just below Tinemaha Res. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but I would be very surprised. There are definitely some nice largemouth in there though..I'll be damned if I can figure out how to catch them though.

A spawned out perch would look a lot like a smallie - I was sight fishing smallies today and can assure you that they look very similar in color, markings and shape when in the water....my money is on a perch sighting even if you don't think so.
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 04-13-2014 at 07:39 PM.

I was at pvr last weekend at the power plant end, and there was very little water. som places only 10 feet wide. I was the 2 weeks before that, lots of water and a 9lb 2oz limit

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWalker View Post
    Hello everyone! Excited about the 2014 opener? I sure am! This will be my first 'Actual' opener in many years. We usually head up within the first or second week of May to avoid the crowds and quite frankly, to have more options since most higher elevation lakes ice off toward the middle of May or Memorial day. Since we basically haven't really had a winter in the last few years we're hoping that at least some of the higher elevation lakes will be fishable and we'll just deal with the crowds.

Having said that, just wondering who's coming up for the Opener and where is everyone heading? I used to hit Crowley first for the 'actual' opener in the past but man those crowds were insane. Kind of want to get away from the 'pay and play' so cal feel so if it's still like that, we might pass. Has anyone hit Crowley in recent years for the opener? Just wondering how the crowds were. We have tentative plans to hit spots from Bishop to Walker.
    Not exactly sure where but probably places like Bishop creek, Crowley, Upper O, Mammoth lakes (if ice free), June loop, Robinson creek, W Walker, EW, etc. What did you have in mind?
    Flyfishing or spin?

Quote Originally Posted by hapjap View Post
    I was at pvr last weekend at the power plant end, and there was very little water. som places only 10 feet wide. I was the 2 weeks before that, lots of water and a 9lb 2oz limit
    Im heading up to PVR this weekend I hope there's water. I've never fished it before.

I actually do both. Lately I would guess about 70% on the fly and 30% on the spin. When I'm tubing lakes, often times I will be driftin around Trout worms with my spinning rod in a rod holder while I work my Fly rod(s) in hand. I'm not one of those fly guys who believe a fly rod is gods gift and the only way to fish. I believe there's a time and place for different applications depending on the situation.

5 more days to go and counting....I can't wait! The weather is not looking to great but oh wells, we'll manage. We always do! I personally don't mind fishing when it's snowing, raining, or when it's really cold. I just absolutely hate it when the wind starts howling though!

Good luck to everyone making the trek this weekend! Drive safely and tight lines to all!

Quote Originally Posted by mrg85 View Post
    Flyfishing or spin?
    Last edited by RiverWalker; 04-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Team Brown Eye will be at opener for our 14th consecutive year. God willing, I will be posting the same thing 20 years from now. We will be on Rush and Silver (from a boat) for opener. We will be at the Tiger Bar Friday night drinking ICE COLD water. If you see us, stop and introduce yourself. Good luck and safe driving to everyone.
    Last edited by Team Brown Eye; 04-22-2014 at 03:01 PM.

I think this would have been #15 for me. String will be broken. New job, 2 new kids and my oldest (13) will be playing in a softball tourney in Hemet this weekend. This is good news for the rest of you. More fish for you guys.
    Be safe., Fish on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12