Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Sierras Opener 2014

Default Eastern Sierras Opener 2014

Hello everyone! Excited about the 2014 opener? I sure am! This will be my first 'Actual' opener in many years. We usually head up within the first or second week of May to avoid the crowds and quite frankly, to have more options since most higher elevation lakes ice off toward the middle of May or Memorial day. Since we basically haven't really had a winter in the last few years we're hoping that at least some of the higher elevation lakes will be fishable and we'll just deal with the crowds.

Having said that, just wondering who's coming up for the Opener and where is everyone heading? I used to hit Crowley first for the 'actual' opener in the past but man those crowds were insane. Kind of want to get away from the 'pay and play' so cal feel so if it's still like that, we might pass. Has anyone hit Crowley in recent years for the opener? Just wondering how the crowds were. We have tentative plans to hit spots from Bishop to Walker.
    Not exactly sure where but probably places like Bishop creek, Crowley, Upper O, Mammoth lakes (if ice free), June loop, Robinson creek, W Walker, EW, etc. What did you have in mind?

Ill be in Bridgeport on lower twin for saturday and the reservoir on sunday. Last year was really good for the brownies both days on jerkbait and rapalas!

This year will be my 44th straight opener, I will be on the Upper Owens River and Rock Creek.

This will be my 20th straight Opener, and my sons 13th straight Opener. We will start at Convict. We'll hit he Loop, the Bishop waters, and maybe stick our toe in the Mammoth waters, if possible.

What up Matt! Long time no talk! I hope all is good. Going after some Twin Lakes DD Opener Brownies huh? That's cool. Good luck up there. Maybe I bump into you again up there if we decide to stop at Robinson Creek or Lower Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    Ill be in Bridgeport on lower twin for saturday and the reservoir on sunday. Last year was really good for the brownies both days on jerkbait and rapalas!

Wow! 44 Actual opening day openers? That's amazing Retired96. Good luck this year!

Same to you JB. 20 straight openers is no slouch either. Way to pass it along to your son. It's a right of passage!

My dad did the same for me. I haven't missed fishing in the Sierras in over 35 years but I can't say that I've been to over 35 openers. Maybe like 7 in my life!

Anyone been to a Crowley opener recently? Looking to see how crowded it's been.

Good luck everyone! Happy fishin....
    Last edited by RiverWalker; 04-09-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Default Fishmas!!!!!

Hello fellow Eastern Sierra Fishermen, this will be my 27 opener and ohh how I love it. My buddy’s and I will start our trip on Thursday night headed to Browns Town in the city of Bishop. Friday will be Pleasant Valley and Lower Owens all day before the real fun gets started at 12:00 midnight on Saturday. At this time you can find me at Intake II casting my line at the stroke of 12:00; (we always have a countdown, it’s just like New Years Eve just Fishmas Eve). After that we will be fishing non stop until Monday evening until I just can’t cast anymore :)' from Bishop to Virginia Lakes and all the way south to Lone Pine. Good Luck to everyone, catch big fish, only keep what you need and remember take care of our BEAUTIFUL Eastern Sierras...

Looks like I will be going up sometime the week of May 5... Maybe I'll run into ya.. fish a lot of those spots... plus my spots that don't get much pressure

Hello River Walker,

Here is a little info on Lake Crowley for the 2014 opener. It looks like they may suspend campfires outside of the designated campgrounds within the Lake Crowley Fish Camp, meaning most of the dry camping on the north shores and east shores will be suspended (No Campfires) This is not set in stone and the Lake Crowley Fish Camp said they would post more information closer to the opener regarding restrictions. As for crowding I assume it will be busy this year due to an early spring and the fish should be actively feeding and ready to hit your lines. If I were to suggest getting away from the crowds and not having someone camping with 10 feet of your camp, I would hit the east shore (Christmas Bay) http://stevenojai.tripod.com/crowley.htm you can access the east shore (Christmas Bay) from Benton Crossing Road and then take Forest Service Road 3s590 for approx. 5 miles to the lake (Dirt Road) Not recommended for RV's. Hope that help.......... Jim

Have only fished 5 openers , Sabrina to Pleasant valley and Convict and Crowley . Have a question for you guys ,I got a glimpse of a fish at Pleasant valley looked like a smallmouth . I talked to a local that said their in there but hard to catch , I know that big perch are in there but what I seen wasn't a perch . Anyone know ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast