Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Rod & Reel 10th Annual Special Needs Childrens Trout Derby Lots of Pics!

Default Los Angeles Rod & Reel 10th Annual Special Needs Childrens Trout Derby Lots of Pics!

The 10th annual Lou Berke special-needs Trout Derby is now in the books. The Los Angeles Rod and Reel Club in conjunction with volunteers from the local fishing community have once again put on a successful event.

That’s the official description of our annual special-needs kids event, my own experience is that and so much more. I think its best to tell the story with pictures.....

Friday, April 4th, I once again had the opportunity to participate in this annual event at Hansen Dam lake. We had three schools participate with children ranging from middle school to high school including a graduating class.

The Wednesday prior to the event was cold and windy but that did not stop club members from deploying a net at the lake to help corral the fish. The idea was to enable these children to catch fish as soon as possible so they could experience the joy of fishing. Thursday two trucks from the Department of Fish and game paid visits to the lake one depositing 250 pounds of Trout and the other 1000 pounds of catfish in the netted area.

Friday came bright and early with volunteers lining up at the gate before the park opened. Once inside the volunteers began to set up rods, reels, terminal tackle, rod holders, bait and nets placed along the lake shore. As more volunteers arrived they signed in received an event T-shirt, and then proceeded to breakfast which was doughnuts, lox, bagels, cream cheese, juice, yogurt and other goodies.

The setup went smoothly and it wasn’t long until we were awaiting the first children to arrive. As the kids arrived they received a T-shirt and were paired off with a volunteer, who would spend the day making sure these kids had a wonderful time and caught fish. It wasn’t long before rods were bent children were screaming and laughing with the end result of a trout and the occasional catfish caught to the delight of all.

As the day went on, more kids arrived and more fish were caught, while it was never wide open I believe that every child caught at least one fish and many caught two or more. Before you knew it, it was time for lunch which consisted of hamburgers hot dogs chicken, and veggie burgers, Bluefin tuna and Wahoo, allow along with all the goodies. While everyone was eating we had a surprise visit from Smokey the Bear courtesy of flyingby to entertain kids of all ages. After lunch we had cake for all the kids in celebration of the graduating class.

I want to thank Hittson, Feel theSteel Gary, anchor3n1 and his daughter Noelle, Russ 88, Sid Page, Fishinone, Steve and Brad Johnson a.k.a. flyngby and son, and all the other volunteers that made the day special.

This was my 10th year participating in the Lou Burke Trout Derby for special-needs kids, and I have to say it is my favorite event. I may be too busy to fish, but I am never too busy for this event. To see the joy on the kids face as they catch their first fish and spend time with these very special children is truly something to behold.

Capt’n
    Last edited by CAPT'N; 04-06-2014 at 02:35 PM.

WOW what a great job you guys did for a "Special" group of kids. Hats off to ya for making their day a "Great One".....

3. Default

aw man wish i knew about this! Love to be a apart of this

looks like everyone had a great time. very cool

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish View Post
    aw man wish i knew about this! Love to be a apart of this

looks like everyone had a great time. very cool
    Not enuf can ever be said about this event....those kids are the most deserving human beings I've ever met...I am ways humbled to be in their presence!! My hat goes off to the larrc and each soul that took the time out of their busy life to show those beautifull souls a little bit of the sport we know and love so well!! Hats of to you all!! Those kids will temember that day for some time ! Thank you for the oportunity to be a part...I always feel I take away just as much or more from these things!!! I salute those wonderfull kids and everyone there! Gary

5. Default

count me in for next year!

Gary,
    Despite all the horrific things I say about you behind your back, I thank you for your help and support.....

You posted!

Scott

Awesome!!!!!!

Great work and congrats on another successful event/

By the way, still a lot of catfish left in the lake.

People were catching their limits on both Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for inviting me tho help the kids Capt'n, I had a great time doing it. Seeing the smiles on the kids faces when they reel in their first fish just lifts you up.

On a side note,I don't know which is more rare, a GLTFTS sighting or a Smoky the Bear sighting!

Fishinone ,

Thank you for your support. Saw you getting the kids on fish, and the resulting smiles were priceless.

Events like this depend on people like you taking time off to spend their time with the kids.

Capt'n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast