Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumbo Alpers coming to Bishop Creek for the Opener...

Default Jumbo Alpers coming to Bishop Creek for the Opener...

Howdy folks!

There has been some BS press on the Eastern Sierra as of late but here are a few highlights which should ease everyone's mind with regard to the big fish situation in the ES. While this is not a fishing report per say, it's an information report - so this seemed like the best spot for the post.

First - hot of the presses (I don't even think there has been a press release yet actually) but there is a load of jumbo Alpers coming to the Bishop Creek Canyon for the opener. It was actually stated in my conversation with the person organizing the stocking that there is some concern that these fish may be too big to safely stock in the creek. My advice was to that the driver will know the deeper holes along the creek and that he should put the larger models in those deeper creek holes, Intake II and North Lake(if the road is open) and save any of the smaller 2-4lb models for the rest of the creek/Weir pond if applicable. Good stuff.

Second - for those that haven't already heard, Mammoth Lakes has already secured 11,000lbs of trophy Rainbows from Desert Springs Trout Farm in Oregon for this season. That is about twice as much as last year and does not include other stocking funds and organizations which may further supplement the area.

I myself received a call from Jimmy Lim (formerly with Alpers) who is now with Desert Springs Trout Farm offering their services for stocking trophies this summer and I would imagine that similar calls were made all up and down 395.

Never fear folks, trophy trout will be here.

Sierrally,
    Smitty aka Jared Smith
    GM Parchers Resort
    Bishop CA
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 04-04-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Jared that's great news.

All the best this season.
    WWO

Always nice to get the inside scoop. Thanks Smitty!!!

That's great news Jared. I heard about the 11,000 lbs coming from desert springs but not the alpers coming to Bishop. I thought that they already stocked their last inventory? Maybe not enough people signed up for their pre opener event they planned so they could fish out their trophy pond. Either way, thanks for the great news! I'll be there for the opener. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWalker View Post
    That's great news Jared. I heard about the 11,000 lbs coming from desert springs but not the alpers coming to Bishop. I thought that they already stocked their last inventory? Maybe not enough people signed up for their pre opener event they planned so they could fish out their trophy pond. Either way, thanks for the great news! I'll be there for the opener. Can't wait
    A lot of people don't know this but there is a local guy in Bishop who has some ponds on his property where the Alpers operation sometimes stages fish in the winter. These fish are used to stock the Owens & PVR when the county provides funding to do so - thankfully, this was a year where this did happen and those fish were indeed staged here in Bishop. These fish tend to be the bigger models and are used for Blake Jones. My understanding is that the Bishop Chamber of Commerce has secured the what's left and is putting them in our canyon for the opener.

You've got mail

MANY THANKS to Smitty for Keeping It Real as far as the Eastern Sierra trout sitch is concerned. I'm very happy to read that your business and those of your neighbors in the Canyon will benefit from these actions. Mother Nature sure isn't doing the Canyon many favors this winter, it's good that folks are working hard to take up the slack and provide a more hopeful Opener and early season.

Good news. I was wondering why you guys don't buy trout from Jim O’Banion’s trout farm in Wellington, Nev.? He has some of the finest fighting (original Mt Whitney strain) trout around. I believe his son once worked for or helped run Alpers.
    Last edited by ALandsford; 04-06-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALandsford View Post
    Good news. I was wondering why you guys don't buy trout from Jim O’Banion’s trout farm in Wellington, Nev.? He has some of the finest fighting (original Mt Whitney strain) trout around. I believe his son once worked for or helped run Alpers.
    Most of the trout rearing operations have avoided stepping on anyone's toes - so few hatcheries have been willing to deliver here in the past, even if the demand was there. I've never heard of that place before, but I'll make a note of it. The short (hopefully) hiatus of IAG could very well be a good thing for our area as it will open up the market for other vendors....I believe competition is a good thing, even for the revered Alpers trout.

I know they stock at least once a year at Topaz Lake. His son Todd was in partners or working with Alpers some years ago. I believe Todd is now working his dad's trout hatchery. It is not large but I think they raise enough fish to cover your area. Didn't know about the politics of the trout business LOL I have no idea their price delivered in CA (if they can). They claim to have the real Mt Whitney strain of bows. Besides the hatchery, they have a couple acre "lake" that is catch and release that has thousands upon thousands of trout up to double digits in it. $100 for half a day. We stop on our way up to the condo at Incline. Anyway, give them a look. Besides the hatchery info, you might luck out into a free fishing trip for their bruisers.
    Last edited by ALandsford; 04-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast