Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Your opinion on surf rod please..

Default Your opinion on surf rod please..

Alright my friends I'm in the market for a new surf fishing rod. I'll admit it, I'm a Shimano fan boy. I'm looking at 2 models of the Compre spinning and need help choosing one. It will be used for drop shot and C-rig.
    Specs:

7'6" ML Fast 4-12lb line 1/16-5/8 lure
    7'6" M Fast 6-12lb line 3/16-5/8 lure

Or would you say neither, LoL..

I don't want a floppy noodle and at the same time I don't want a pool cue either.

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!!

Those will do just fine. If you are fishing surf where the waves get up on the larger side and crashing the fish zone a longer rod helps to keep line above the crashing waves.
    I use a 8 foot Shikari and its rated 8-15 lb line.

7'6" M Fast 6-12lb line 3/16-5/8 lure I have a Clarus and love it for the surf.

I have the 8' 6" Clarus and loved it, until the past owner of Seeker Rods gave me the new React Pro, aka RPS 706-7'11" rated 10(12)15
    It out throws the Clarus all day long. I suggest you at least take a look at the great rods that Seeker has available. I have mine paired up with a Curado 300e with 15lb mono. Quickly became my go to rod. Besides they are made right here in Long Beach Ca.

WWO

Last edited by Which Way Out; 04-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmericle View Post
    7'6" M Fast 6-12lb line 3/16-5/8 lure I have a Clarus and love it for the surf.
    Excellent. Not too heavy for perch?

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    I have the 8' 6" Clarus and loved it, until the past owner of Seeker Rods gave me the new React Pro, aka RPS 706-7'11" rated 10(12)15
    It out throws the Clarus all day long. I suggest you at least take a look at the great rods that Seeker has available. I have mine paired up with a Curado 300e with 15lb mono. Quickly became my go to rod. Besides they are made right here in Long Beach Ca.

WWO

Thank you for the info! I already have a bait casting setup for throwing LCs. I'm looking for a lighter spinning rod to C-rig and drop shot. Which of the 2 that I listed would be better you think?

I'm a Shimano guy also and use a Convergence Crankbait rod with 8lb mono for perch. It's awesome... light enough to enjoy the hell out of the fight and strong enough to not break off if something bigger happens to hit it. I don't trust it with my $20 LC's though... it's strictly a C-rig setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dross99_si View Post
    Thank you for the info! I already have a bait casting setup for throwing LCs. I'm looking for a lighter spinning rod to C-rig and drop shot. Which of the 2 that I listed would be better you think?
    7'6" ML Fast 4-12lb line 1/16-5/8 lure
    7'6" M Fast 6-12lb line 3/16-5/8 lure
    For Perch? The lighter of the two.

Have you tried these hooks for Drop Shot? Excellent either weedless or not by pressing the hook point out the top. Flukes of course.

WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 04-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Those hooks look pretty cool!
    Thanks again for your opinion on the rod.
    I'm gonna spool with 8lb fluoro. Drop shot for butts and whatnot and also want to C-rig for perch by using 4lb leader. Looking to make a versatile spinning setup here. Got the bait caster for the LCs dialed in already as I mentioned.

I would go straight mono on a spinning reel and use Fluoro leader tied to a swivel. The stiffer fluoro can give you fits especially if the wind is blowing. I use 15# braid that has a 4# diameter then use a fluoro leader.

Quote Originally Posted by dross99_si View Post
    Those hooks look pretty cool!
    Thanks again for your opinion on the rod.
    I'm gonna spool with 8lb fluoro. Drop shot for butts and whatnot and also want to C-rig for perch by using 4lb leader. Looking to make a versatile spinning setup here. Got the bait caster for the LCs dialed in already as I mentioned.