Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Berkely Cup Recap.

Default Berkely Cup Recap.

Wow.. what can I say.. wow.. First off, I'd like to thank Irvine lake for all the hard work that goes into these tournament and Daneila and Jimmy + the rest of the staff for putting in work this weekend.

Short Report:
    Wet: 0645-1300
    Temp: ?? didnt have a graph on the rental boat
    Depth: ??
    Method of destruction: Performance Tackle wrapped Phenix FX802-2, Izorline 4#, SC shiner with Owner #10 hooks switched in, Bite-On Roe

Long report:
    Rented the boat with my buddy Aaron, and headed to the west shore for a little bit of nothing. Made the move after an hour of no bites or signs of life. Decided to make the move across the lake to Sierra cove where the water was rushing in and the crowd was. Found a little spot behind some of the boats and anchored up. (Note: you have to drop both anchors simultaneously to get it to stick). The water was really pushing people around in circles if they couldnt get their pick hung.

Started seeing fish come over the side rails of the boats around us almost immediately. They were chewing everything from nightcrawlers to powerbait to minijigs to b line jigs. They ate the whole kitchen sink.. But not for me. I couldnt get licked on anything. I about gave up on bait after about 0945. We made a little move to get into the center of the cove and not to smother other boats/friends who were near us.

I had seen fish coming up in the current and feeding which got me thinking they are more active and probably want something near the top of the water column. So I grabbed my trusty Performance tackle wrapped Phenix Elixir FX802-2 spooled up with 4# izorline tied to a SC shiner with owner hooks switched in. Dripped some Bite-On roe on it and sent her casting. Around 1005 is when I finally got my ONE and only bite of the day. The One bite I was asking for, all these master qualifiers...

After seeing her flash after she engulfed my crank bait, I started to freak out. Not going to lie. This is my first Loid (10+ trout). I tell aaron to wind up all the lines and get the net ready. I control the fish from running too far to different neighboring boats and keep her head low when I felt she was going to jump. (Sadly I didnt have my gopro on me =[ I had left it in the car.) After about a 7 minute fight, I can feel her getting really tired and so i just slow crank her to the boat and get her to come up.. Shes directly off the bow of the rental and aaron cant get next to me without risking the boat tipping so I ask for the net and get low. I lay the net out and glide her over the face of the net. She stretches over the face of the net with at least a half foot hanging over. I hear Aaron yell "Now!" so I raise the girl out and into the bow.. We pull anchor and head to the scale.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ps72d47d56.jpg
    10.11 after losing a little bit of blood but its ok.

Went back to the cove with a well deserved 6 pack and witness John kill it with a 12#er on a crawler with bite-on! Stoked for you brotha!
    We all celebrated the rest of the day in the cove. Made some new friends and made some great memories with old ones. I didnt fish for the rest of the day. I just relaxed and chilled out with the people in the cove. An event I will surely never forget.

My 10.11 was good enough for 2nd place AND blind bogey.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...pseac074d7.jpg

Thanks to:
    www.phenixrods.com
    www.facebook.com/performancetackle
    www.kicker-jigs.com
    www.facebook.com/anglerbrothers
    www.izorline.com
    www.ownerhooks.com

*shakka*
    Last edited by FKNChristopH; 04-01-2014 at 08:00 PM.

NICE GOING and CONGRATS on an awesome day on the water!

TD