Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three sessions squeezed into a two day SWAT weekend

Good to see Lucas out on the sand again. Looking pretty GQ in a San Francisco kinda way
    JK Mr D....

As always it was a pleasure hitting the sand with ya Dan. Why is it that every time I fish with you ....you out fish me? Must be that USMC sniper blood in ya for sure!

Now I bet you will never try to hold a slimy torpedo while trying to remove the hook...LOL Like I told you...they are spaztic so you just grab the hook with your pliers and shake them off.
    A painful lesson learned.

Great pics Danimal.

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    I was taken back to school and was re-taught the reason and the importance of putting one's foot on top of the fish, to hold it down firmly on the sand
    Not a good idea especially with Halibut. Could result in a slow death.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    just grab the hook with your pliers and shake them off.
    Like Mike said.
    Needle nose not hemostats.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Great pics Danimal.

Like Mike said.
    DR
    I'm sure Dan was ONLY referring to a spaztic jack smelt Martin. I told him that they go nuts as soon as you pull them out of the water. So I said "You are better off stepping on them so you can get ahold of one of the hooks then shake them off!" Sorry if this sounds kinda mean but I look at jack smelt as oversized bait fish and definitely not worthy of grabbing with your hand at all. I usually step on them lightly with my rubber boot and grab the hook with my pliers and shake them off....LOL
    (We're not talking ...stomp on them...just lightly with your rubber sole for a split second while you grab the hook) An LC with three sharp hooks on it attached to a jack smelt is an accident just waiting to happen as Dan's pic proves.

Dan, long time since we've fish together but I hope we run into each other soon.
    Nice job on the sessions and keep up the good job.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150fishn View Post
    Wow Dan, thats a rough stretch of being sick. Glad to hear you are on the mend and were able to hit the surf again.
    I have yet to find the time to hit the surf yet this year but have been doing plenty of freshwater fishing. Very cool pic and information about the Giant Keyhole Limpet! Congrats on a productive weekend with friends and glad to hear you were able to unhook yourself and get back to the task at hand! Lol

Thanks for the report and pics!
    Thanx Dan,

Yeah ... it was a beach not being able to get out there but after 10 weeks and finally being mended (98.8%) ..... look out boyz .... here I come!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Dan sometimes in the line of battle some blood gets spilled. In the past when I have spilled some, the fishing was good. But I wouldn't make a practice of it!

Who's that stranger in the crowd with the Tie..............

WWO
    Hi ya Bill,

I've always said .... "That if there wasn't a little blood spelt by the end .... well ... I just didn't have that good of a time!" OORAAH!

The funny thing about hooks .... they don"t stick around for very long .... whether they are in the fish or the angler! Ha ha ha!

SP Dan <"))><

Good to see Lucas out on the sand again. Looking pretty GQ in a San Francisco kinda way
    JK Mr D....

As always it was a pleasure hitting the sand with ya Dan. Why is it that every time I fish with you ....you out fish me? Must be that USMC sniper blood in ya for sure!

Now I bet you will never try to hold a slimy torpedo while trying to remove the hook...LOL Like I told you...they are spaztic so you just grab the hook with your pliers and shake them off.
    Hi ya Mike,

It took a long time to make it happen but the end results of spending time in the salt with the "Young-man Wearing A Tie" was well worth the effort! I believe that Don had also offered up some gear as a final acceptance bribe to our friend! It was like baiting a people trap with cheese .... ask Disney! Ha ha ha!

Mike .... you give me way more credit that I deserve .... that will be the day that I really out fish you my friend! That will be the day ... indeed!
    You've just been taking it easy on the Ol' man! Besides I really do get a kick out of fishing with you my friend.... you are constantly observing, studying the conditions and openly sharing the facts of your findings... all good stuff!

You were absolutely correct about the lil' spaztics .... they are slippery and 9 times more dangerous when they have 9 hooks flailing about them! I've handled many of them on the release in the past .... but it takes only that one time .... BAM!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Great pics Danimal.

Like Mike said.
    DR
    Hi ya Martin,

I had some fun ... scouting about the low tide line with my camera... and I actually located quite a few of these Giant Keyhole Limpets.

I must apologize to you if I had miss lead you in my report report Martin, I hope that you believe that there "was not" any type of malicious cruelty being administered to any of the marine life that I've encountered. I try to limit myself to making as "minimal of contact" as possible with all marine species while surf fishing and practicing 100% CPR.
    It's been over two years since I've brought home anything from one of my sessions .... and I'm proud of this fact .... it's just good ol' Karma Martin!
    One time ... "because I was asked" ... one time ... I did give a SWAT Brotha one of my legal Halibut catches and I still kick myself for it today!

I only meant that I would control the fish better and hopefully causing as little or no damage to the fish as possible ... even if it is bait fish ... it will still receive the same respect and gentle care as any other living creature.

Now Martin .... I don"t know how Halibut had gotten thrown into this mix, especially because I was only referring to the Jack Smelt that I had in my hand.

FYI Martin ... when the Jack Smelt slipped through my grip .... that's when the hooks hit me and at the same time the Jack Smelt became naturally released and gaining it's freedom with out the need of needle nose pliers! I don't recommend this to anyone!

I'm sure Dan was ONLY referring to a spaztic jack smelt Martin. I told him that they go nuts as soon as you pull them out of the water. So I said "You are better off stepping on them so you can get ahold of one of the hooks then shake them off!" Sorry if this sounds kinda mean but I look at jack smelt as oversized bait fish and definitely not worthy of grabbing with your hand at all. I usually step on them lightly with my rubber boot and grab the hook with my pliers and shake them off....LOL
    (We're not talking ...stomp on them...just lightly with your rubber sole for a split second while you grab the hook) An LC with three sharp hooks on it attached to a jack smelt is an accident just waiting to happen as Dan's pic proves.
    That's correct Mike! <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by troublehook View Post
    Dan, long time since we've fish together but I hope we run into each other soon.
    Nice job on the sessions and keep up the good job.
    Hi ya Sokha,

Wow .... it's been a while my friend!

Now that I'm feeling stronger ... I definitely plan on spending more time in the salt.
    I hope that we will get to share the salt many times during this 2014 season.

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 04-01-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: SP

Thumbs up

Whoa... Lucas made a surprised surf appearance!
    Really good to see the three of you sharing the sand.
    Dan, it's especially nice to see you back out there my friend. Take good care of yourself and stay healthy.
    I'm trying my best to get back in the saddle again, soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Whoa... Lucas made a surprised surf appearance!
    Really good to see the three of you sharing the sand.
    Dan, it's especially nice to see you back out there my friend. Take good care of yourself and stay healthy.
    I'm trying my best to get back in the saddle again, soon...
    Hey Commander,

Yes Sir, it was a blast to have spent the quality time in the surf with my SWAT Brotha's Don and Lucas!

Ya know Sir .... we are seriously lagging behind the newer SWAT members ... Hmmmmmm ..... what do ya say to .............

"Let's get out there .... start ripping some lips and get some substantial numbers back up on that SWAT leader board"?!! Eh?!?
    We need to close the numbers and turn this into a closer competition .... This is "Your SWAT Challenge" .... if you are up for it!

Thanx for your positive thoughts .... I am almost 100% and am ready to put a dent in the SWAT Leader Board!

Thanx for responding to my report Brotha!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hey Commander,

Yes Sir, it was a blast to have spent the quality time in the surf with my SWAT Brotha's Don and Lucas!

Ya know Sir .... we are seriously lagging behind the newer SWAT members ... Hmmmmmm ..... what do ya say to .............

"Let's get out there .... start ripping some lips and get some substantial numbers back up on that SWAT leader board"?!! Eh?!?
    We need to close the numbers and turn this into a closer competition .... This is "Your SWAT Challenge" .... if you are up for it!

Thanx for your positive thoughts .... I am almost 100% and am ready to put a dent in the SWAT Leader Board!

Thanx for responding to my report Brotha!

SP Dan <"))><
    Count me in on some of that!!!!!

WWO

Needlenose work great Dan. Just grab the hook and twist. It can be done without even touching the fish and almost no risk of getting hooked. Just didn't want others to think your stepping on all your fish. I don't think you get much control with hemos. Using fingers is risky, to each there own. Great post as usual Dan.
    DR

Very nice report Dan. Sorry about your nasty sinus infection, I had the same wonderful gift for about 3 weeks...just lovely!

Hope to see you down my way soon as your comedic genius is dearly missed.

Kelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast