Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Three sessions squeezed into a two day SWAT weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Three sessions squeezed into a two day SWAT weekend

I've had this lousy cold for 9 weeks along with a sinus infection and a cough!
    Enough is enough all ready! I can't catch fish while laying in my bed!

Saturday March 22, 2014 Morning Session #12 "Solo Session"

Sun Rise: 0651, Sun Set: 1903
    Air: 54 - 64 deg, Water: 65 deg and milky with weeds, I had to hunt for clean water, Sky: AM pt cloudy, Wind: 3 -6 MPH
    Predicted Surf: 2 ft , Swell: 1.2 ft , Sec Intervals: 5.
    Session Duration: 0615 hrs to 0930 hrs.
    Assault Tactic: LC 110 lure.
    AO : aka: South Bay

My Total fish count: (1) 14" Hali and (1) Jack Smelt.

Check this out ... this is a 4" Giant Keyhole Limpet, it was held for a quick photo and was immediately returned to where it was found

The giant keyhole limpet is a primitive type of snail, or gastropod, which lives from Central California to Baja. Characterized by a slimy gray, black, or brownish skin covering its gray shell (yes, its shell is under its skin), this animal is often found fastened onto rocks using suction, feeding off of algae with a radula, or tongue, that scrapes the algae into its mouth on the yellowish underside of its body. This limpet has a black central hole which is used to expel waste away from the gills and mouth to avoid the waste reentering its body. It can grow up to 10” in length. Their shells were used as currency and decoration by Native Americans.

Sunday March 23, 2014 Morning Session #13 "Fishing with friends"

Sun Rise: 0650, Sun Set: 1904
    Air: 54 - 61 deg, Water: 64 deg with beach break sand, some clean, clear holes, nice Perch conditions, Sky: AM pt cloudy, Wind: 1 MPH
    Predicted Surf: 1 ft , Swell: 1.1 ft , Sec Intervals: 6.
    Session Duration: 0600 hrs to 0930 hrs.

I put a few calls out Saturday night for Sunday Morning and my SWAT Brotha's: Lucas aka: Mr_Dunev and Don aka: Bachiboy were both there at pre-gray lite and were looking for a fight!

My Total fish count: (13) BSP and (2) short Hali's (1) 15" BSP (a PB) and (1) Wall-eye Perch. Nothing photo worthy except for the BSP!

15" BSP and my new PB

A parting shot of the Boyz!

Sunday March 23, 2014 Sundowner Session #14 "Fishing with a friend"

Sun Rise: N/A, Sun Set: 1908
    Air: 59 deg, Water: 59 deg and clean, very promising, Sky: AM pt cloudy, Wind: 1-2 MPH
    Predicted Surf: 1 - 2 ft , Swell: 0.9 ft , Sec Intervals: 14.
    Session Duration: 1800 hrs to 1030 hrs.

Bones and I had decided to meet at 1800 hrs and fish up through last lite in the Santa Monica Bay Area.

As soon as we had stepped on the beach ... Mike noticed birds diving about a 3rd of a mile ahead of us along the beach and said "That's where we are heading Dan!".... "That's the spot!" Well .... Mike knew the area well and he put me on "the" spot ... and the fish bite began right away for the both of us.

Mike is already getting hits and tugs but the fish kept getting away! Hmmmmm! Then I'm also getting the same bump and runs until we started setting our hooks on the 1st bump and it's a "JACK SMELT" attack ... oh .. brotha!

Mike was first to beach a nice YFC plus a few JS.
    Mike and I were able to beach four different species tonight .... Mike said ... "five if you were to count me too! Ha ha ha! ... Mike you slay me!

My Total fish count: (2) Jack Smelt (1) 14" short Hali and (1) 17" Calico bass. [B] Note: When Mike and I measured the Calico on the sand, it measured 17 1/2" but in the photo makes it looks like it's 17", so I calling it 17".

14" Hali

School Lesson: I was taken back to school and was re-taught the reason and the importance of putting one's foot on top of the fish, to hold it down firmly on the sand .... controlling it and then extract the hooks from it! "Grasshopper"!
    My Smelt jerked and had slipped my grip "like a wet slippery bar of soap" and in that fraction of a second "BAM! ... all of a sudden ... I'm hooked on fishing and now I'm playing Dr. Dan on myself.

(2) two of the #4 4X TN hooks stuck me, one hook only went through about a 1/4" and poked out, and the other hook poked out about 3/4" away on the other side. Sorry no photo of being hooked.

I was shocked and surprised at the fishing time that I was loosing and decided that there was only on thing to do ...
    "that's right soldiers ... get back to "FISHING"! .... and I couldn't do that with this nuisance hook sticking out of my hand .... so with pliers in hand and a few firm deliberate tugs ... I was able to get right back to fishing in no time!

Thanx for checking out my fish report folks!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 03-31-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Hope that hand you cleaned and sanitized real good !!!!

Might drop some more antibiotics for that if you have some ?

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post

I've had this lousy cold for 9 weeks along with a sinus infection and a cough!
    Enough is enough all ready! I can't catch fish while laying in my bed!
    Hi Dan

Sorry you were down and for so long. Nothing worse then dreaming/thinking of catching fish and not being able to do sumpin' bout it Glad you got out there and got it going again!!! Great report and great pictures as always.

All the best,

Nick

Very glad that we had a chance to get back in the surf together Danimal! Being out there with you and Lucas was awesome. It was quite the perch fest but no sign of that elusive jailbird we were hoping for. Congrats on the nice checker on your evening session but WOW, did that come at a price! Crazy that we were just talkin about that kinda thing happening after the morning session and SHAZAM! It happens. Hopes that heals up quickly and you're back out getting more payback. Been missing your reports since you've been on sick leave so keep it up!

Welcome back brother!!!
    Don

Danimal!

So happy to read a report from you again brother! Great job kicking that nasty cold/flu/sinus infection! We (baby and I) got it again and are miserable. Nice job on the checker and thanks for the cool pics (except maybe that last one).

When the bite down south starts up again, I will let you know so that we can get together!

Ken

Nice report man. Good to here the hook set on your hand wasn't too bad. Now to make sure no infection sets in.

What is the orange thing in your first pics.

Quote Originally Posted by fishshep View Post
    :

Might drop some more antibiotics for that if you have some ?
    The doctor has had me on antibiotics for the last 20 days... so I should be OK. I appreciate the concern Danial.

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    Hi Dan

Nothing worse then dreaming / thinking of catching fish and not being able to do sumpin' bout it Nick
    Thanx Nick,

It makes me literally bounce off the friggin' walls when I can't get in on the bite!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Danimal!

When the bite down south starts up again, I will let you know so that we can get together!

Ken
    I'm already waiting for your call-to-arms as I write you this! lol!

SP Dan <"))><,

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
    What is the orange thing in your first pics.
    It's a "Giant Keyhole Limpet". I posted additional information with the picture. Check it out!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 03-25-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    WOW, did that come at a price! Crazy that we were just talkin about that kinda thing happening after the morning session and SHAZAM! It happens.

Don
    Hey Don .... I guess I'd better start talking about 40" halibut! ha ha ha! ... And see what happens!