Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pretty interesting report the DFW did regarding deep caught bass on DVL

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Slot limit, lower take number to 2 to start. But I also think there is a bit of panic involved and can't get away from that opinion I'm sorry to say. I know you don't want comparisons but the only way to see into the future is to compare the lake to a more mature reservoir that has gone thru level ups and downs and various population swings. Unfortunately the goal of the reservoir is not to please fishermen, if it was a stable water level during spawning periods would be a plus and also high levels till fry have a chance to mature leaving more structure. But that's pie in the sky stuff. Every little bit helps and certainly addressing take is a part of it.

I don't think your idea on isolating coves for protection is going to work out either. The lake is for fishermen that don't only fish for LMB's and eliminating them from fishing good areas (coves) because LMB guys can't stay off the beds is not really fair to them.

Lot's of challenges, surprised the "experts" didn't see this coming, or did they?
    First off ANYBODY that doesn't think striper populations don't affect LMB populations are fooling themselves. A. They compete for the same food source and B. The stripers prey on the juvenile LMB. The larger stripers have more offspring so keeping the larger stripers in the lake only means larger populations of stripers. The proof of the affect of stripers in other Southern California reservoirs has been proven over the decades as stated by an earlier post. Granted there is no getting rid of them once they have a foothold, but maybe an unlimited limit should be in order where fisherman can literally take as many as they can catch out of the lake MIGHT help. Secondly almost every reservoir that has an excellent LMB population has a no fishing zone for the spawn where the fish can go unmolested throughout their spawn. The fact that DVL gets such incredible tourney pressure and doesn't allow the fish some sort of protection from the tourney anglers is a recipe for disaster. And although there are lots of anglers on the lake that aren't fishing for the LMB the majority of money spent in the area and that are going to the lake are LMB fisherman, it would be an investment in the future of the lake to give these fish a sanctuary during the spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by fshnritchey View Post
    First off ANYBODY that doesn't think striper populations don't affect LMB populations are fooling themselves. A. They compete for the same food source and B. The stripers prey on the juvenile LMB. The larger stripers have more offspring so keeping the larger stripers in the lake only means larger populations of stripers. The proof of the affect of stripers in other Southern California reservoirs has been proven over the decades as stated by an earlier post. Granted there is no getting rid of them once they have a foothold, but maybe an unlimited limit should be in order where fisherman can literally take as many as they can catch out of the lake MIGHT help. Secondly almost every reservoir that has an excellent LMB population has a no fishing zone for the spawn where the fish can go unmolested throughout their spawn. The fact that DVL gets such incredible tourney pressure and doesn't allow the fish some sort of protection from the tourney anglers is a recipe for disaster. And although there are lots of anglers on the lake that aren't fishing for the LMB the majority of money spent in the area and that are going to the lake are LMB fisherman, it would be an investment in the future of the lake to give these fish a sanctuary during the spawn.
    Wow a bit of an aggressive response. First off I didn't even mention striper predation, the combination of stripers, lack of structure and lower water level has had a very obvious impact on LMB's, I've found more LMB fry in stripers in some years than shad! I addressed other areas of impact but I do not believe that a cove dedicated to LMB catch and release is going to be approved and when referencing other fish to be caught I am speaking about not only stripers but certainly trout also.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Wow a bit of an aggressive response. First off I didn't even mention striper predation, the combination of stripers, lack of structure and lower water level has had a very obvious impact on LMB's, I've found more LMB fry in stripers in some years than shad! I addressed other areas of impact but I do not believe that a cove dedicated to LMB catch and release is going to be approved and when referencing other fish to be caught I am speaking about not only stripers but certainly trout also.
    @ Seal- I wasn't responding to your post only it just was how I submitted my reply by clicking on your post at reply with quote. I am a newbie on the postings and always click on that to respond to posts. I apologize if you felt I was attacking your post in particular. That was not the case at all. I was just responding to the topic in general. Sorry again if you felt I was attacking you and your post that was not my intention at all. - T

No problem! If the bed fish would always be released at the point of catch and a C&R only policy would be put into place during spawning season some of these concerns would be resolved, but tournament anglers would not like that policy but at the same time are very concerned with the health of the fishery, a bit of a conundrum.

My big pet peeve is with non tournament anglers that think they need a glory shot and place their fish in a live well to later on take the big multi-largemouth picture. I see no reason for this other than the need to post a glory report on these websites. The thought that none of these bass are harmed is ludicrous, many take very good care of their fish but many do not which means loss of life for no good reason. Yesterday saw it at Silverwood, don't know why but it bugs the crap out of me and I'm not even that sensitive when it comes to the ugly green fish.

Quote Originally Posted by noleash View Post
    Well,Well; the state of calif. actually doing something to protect and preserve the quality of it's resources! It's a start that DOES NOT need to be swept under the carpet by Mr Ignorant and selfish Kevin Van Dam wannabes! Next thing for the local DFW biologist to do is study the effects of tournament pre fishing and actual event has on Spawning fish and the subsequent effects on numbers of surviving juvenile FSLMB are! Then after the necessary implementations are put into effect, some man made habitats to protect the juvenile fish from their natural predators surly would be nice! It truly would be nice to witness the absolute explosion in quality of this fishery in the short while it would take to rebound from the relentless poundings of the ignorant and selfish whoremongers known as corporate America! And GOOD LUCK to everyone!
    And once again Nole Ashs' terrets syndrom speaks at will! The real story here is that nobody in particular is the "Bad Guy" AS Devorflyer pointed out the real problem on this particular lake is in FACT habitate! As a matter of FACT with petitions and the influance of these BASS clubs something could be implemented into action to introduce some types of aquatic plant life and man made Portible "specifically desinged" habitate to protect small fin fishes and of course juvinile basses from inileation! As is apparent, these implementations wouldn't come easy but if we ALL quit pointing fingers at each other and worked together we all could make the differance that would get the attiontion of the whole state of calif and restore the quality of potintial that is availiable!and good luck to everyone!

Call me slow, dim or whatever, but at what point in the article was habitat, cover, stripers or anything else mentioned.
    People! The article is "ONLY" about the effects of barotrauma and if barotrauma by itself has this kind of effect, now add in your habitat, stripers, etc. and then you'll see how messed up it really is.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by noleash View Post
    And once again Nole Ashs' terrets syndrom speaks at will! The real story here is that nobody in particular is the "Bad Guy" AS Devorflyer pointed out the real problem on this particular lake is in FACT habitate! As a matter of FACT with petitions and the influance of these BASS clubs something could be implemented into action to introduce some types of aquatic plant life and man made Portible "specifically desinged" habitate to protect small fin fishes and of course juvinile basses from inileation! As is apparent, these implementations wouldn't come easy but if we ALL quit pointing fingers at each other and worked together we all could make the differance that would get the attiontion of the whole state of calif and restore the quality of potintial that is availiable!and good luck to everyone!
    Havasu has done the artificial habitat thing..... it works.

leave it to me to stir the pot a tad. hahaha. needless to say, like several had said, this post isnt about the bed, stripers or any of that jive simply to raise awareness of the health of a fishery and what precautions we need to take in order to keep it healthy. the fact of the matter is that a lot of anglers let it ride and fish until a problem pops its ugly face up and looks us in the face. before these issues even show themselves, im doing my best to put it out there that anglers, whether they give a damn or not, can make change happen. it really rests on our shoulders as anglers. the fact of the matter is that the lake needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Call me slow, dim or whatever, but at what point in the article was habitat, cover, stripers or anything else mentioned.
    People! The article is "ONLY" about the effects of barotrauma and if barotrauma by itself has this kind of effect, now add in your habitat, stripers, etc. and then you'll see how messed up it really is.

Brent
    From a thread jack perspective this one is on the bottom of the list. If you bring up a subject that has the purpose of discussing the health of bass and then post it under the Diamond Valley section of this website then obviously other concerns about the health of the fishery are going to be brought up. If you want a scientific discussion of barotrauma (is this even a word cause spell check doesn't think so) only and it's affect on bass then I would have suggested that this thread be started under a general topics area.

But I would think that discussing all the concerns can only be a good thing if nothing else to bring more awareness to the subject.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123