Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Yellows on The San Diego 3/18

Default Yellows on The San Diego 3/18

Short Report:
    36 anglers
    Boat totals: 34 yellows
    My bag: 2.5 yellows ;]
    Equipment:
    (yo yo)Performance tackle wrapped Phenix PHD 760XH / Talica 12II 65# izor braid to 50# blue label fluoro tied to a Mint/White Kicker 25 heavy with Owner 4x hooks

Long Report:
    Made the wise decision to go on my favorite 3/4 day boat out of San Diego. I was feeling like crap since I went to sleep drunk at 4am. Made it to the ticket office at 0515 and on the boat by 525. Rigged up my gear and slept the whole way out.

As usual I had my Go-To YoYo set up: mint/white kicker 25 heavy tied to 50# top shot of blue label seaguar joined to 65# izor brutally strong spectra on my Phenix black diamond hybrid 760XH and talica 12II. We found almost all of our fish in the middle grounds and they were moving. They wouldnt stay with the boat for too long.. but we had a drift that was felt like an hour. Wasn't as wide open as last monday but we worked hard all day for them. I hooked 4 fish, one came undone, 2 I landed and 1 I handed off to a nice woman who was having trouble with her rental gear all day. I should of gave it to her kids but I didnt see them when I felt the urge to hook and hand.

Bite died for us around 10-11 but we didnt stop looking. I had to surrender to my hang over but I was content with my trip. I knocked out in the galley for most of the afternoon lol. My gopro unexpectedly died so I had to rip some of my buddies footage of us. He was kind enough to record most of our battle so stay tuned for the video.

Overall the trip was fun. Made new friends, made memories with old ones and the crew as always was outstanding. Capt. Ryan and the boys run a top notch operation and I will be back again soon.

I weighed Lester's and my fish when we got home. (We like to cut our own fish, but we still tip the deckhands like they did it for us) Lester's weighed 26.4 and 25.3 respectively and my two came out to 25.1 and 23.11 on the mustad scale. I wasnt able to weigh the fish I hook and handed but it was long and had some shoulders. Had to save it from the seal so we had to gaff it quick.

Enjoi.

Video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Aj-Xfx1wAI

some pictures.

Kicker 25 heavy choked!

*shakka*
    Last edited by FKNChristopH; 03-20-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Seriously?!?
    Thanks for "MY" morning coffee and donuts...
    You've been on a roll.
    Very cool to hand off one of your fish....KARMA BRO!!
    Robert
    <><
    Last edited by murrieta angler; 03-19-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Nice going on the YTs, that looks like a whole lotta bbqing!

TD

Chris you are the man!!!!!! I can honestly say, "I've hooked and handed off hundreds if not thousands of Freshwater fish." When it comes to Ocean fish, I've hooked and handed off less fish then I have fingers!!!!! So Chris, "you really are a Gentlemen!!!!!!!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-19-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Hey! Wait a minute! Is that a Penn 4/0 I see in that picture? How can you catch fish on a Penn 4/0? Don't you have to have a $400 Accurate or Avet or something like that?

(Nice fish BTW!)

Wow FKNchristoph...ive been reading your reports and man u been mashing them lately, WTG!!!!.....makes me wanna head out there ASAP lol.....

good stuff and great reports!!!

Keep them coiming

Tony G

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Chris you are the man!!!!!! I can honestly say, "I've hooked and handed off hundreds if not thousands of Freshwater fish." When it comes to Ocean fish, I've hooked and handed off less fish then I have fingers!!!!! So Chris, "you really are a Gentlemen!!!!!!!"
    LOL Eric thanks! I do it, not for praise but for others enjoi-ment. I just want everyone out there to have fun. Nothing like pulling on a heavy shouldered moss back!

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Nice going on the YTs, that looks like a whole lotta bbqing!

TD
    LOL i give most of my fish away to family and friends. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dog View Post
    Hey! Wait a minute! Is that a Penn 4/0 I see in that picture? How can you catch fish on a Penn 4/0? Don't you have to have a $400 Accurate or Avet or something like that?

(Nice fish BTW!)
    Back in the day when avet was not heard of, accurate was just starting out and the gold trinidad was the newest and hottest reel.. the penn 4/0 was called the YT special and it was the best reel to have for YT fishing. You dont need 500$ reels to kill these things.. Just get a solid 4/0 and put 30$ drags in them and youre set. One can land these beasts on anything from penns to accurates.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingdachronarch201E7 View Post
    Wow FKNchristoph...ive been reading your reports and man u been mashing them lately, WTG!!!!.....makes me wanna head out there ASAP lol.....

good stuff and great reports!!!

Keep them coiming

Tony G
    Thanks Tony!

I'll try next week lol

*shakka*

You did a good job out there & nice fishies. Handing off is cool she will never forget your generosity.

Great catch, congrats guys!

bathroom break...lol Bruisers!! You r a fish killa!