Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Dvl 3-16-14

Default Dvl 3-16-14

Headed out to Diamond with my gf for the first time this year after finally taking the boat out of storage and performing all of the necessary maintenance. Arrived at the lake to find the National Bass West trailer posted in the parking lot and realized I was in for a tough day on the lake since I definitely try to keep my distance on spots/points the tourney guys are concentrating on. Rolled up to the first spot on the dam furthest from the marina, and tied on a drop shot fuschia thunder for my gf to throw. Second cast she 'thinks' she's got a bite (she's still learning the difference between being snagged on a tree) and barely sets the hook. Shes starts reeling and the drag starts screaming and for some reason she completely lets up and tells me she doesn't have a fish on. I 'yell' at her to keep her rod up and being reeling in line again. I see that she indeed has a fish on as it starts to come up to break the surface of the water. To our surprise she had at least an 8+ pounder that easily threw the hook on its first display of air acrobatics. I stared at her in disbelief and busted her chops for the rest of the day. Proceeded to throw a reaction bait and didn't attempt to bed fish. Stuck with the basics and fished a texas rigged aaron's magic for five solid fish sitting in 20-30ft if water. Concentrated on fishing coves being blown on by the wind. Was hoping to head out to Perris next weekend but heard that it was closed due to boat races? Will probably end up trying out Irvine. Anyone hear of the winning weight for the tourney?
    -Good luck and tight lines!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dvlpic.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	43699  

A buddy who fished it told me the winning weight was 24 lbs.

Good report and information. Thanks for posting.

I always think it's funny how serious us guys take fishing and how nonchalant the females are when we take them fishing with us. We start shouting out a bunch of instructions and they start saying I am or I'm trying. It's always funny later on but never funny while it's happening lol. Nice job on the fish.

Hey man good for you...We fished the tournament and finished dead in the middle of the pack. Winning weight was 24lb. that guy got a 10lb bedfish. Next weight down was 18. If you had 17 you did well. I did lose a BIG fish on a big bait. Was probably worth 1200 bucks at least to us. We still had a great time. Sorry on your girl losing a big one...Still alot of fun though.
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 03-18-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Great job! Still need to hone my skills before I try my hand at fishing a tourney. Im heading out to Irvine Saturday and forcing myself to throw a big bait all day.