Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bedfish

Default Bedfish

Its no doubt this time of the year for most can be the most exciting all year long. Some guys fish strictly in the Spring for the shot at a record breaking fish as its easier to spot them. Other guys just love the thrill of hunting their fish visually then doing their best to "cat and mouse" them into biting.

Right, wrong or indifferent, This time of year bass are extremely susceptible to predators, over fishing and stress.

Believe me, fish dont position themselves 5' off the bank for our own benefit. Its a constant debate every year. Bedfish? or not? In my personal opinion, Its rediculous to go around and pull fish from their beds and then transport them around the lake for the sake of picture time, tournament weigh in or bragging rights. There will always be those that will defend the right to pull fish out of their queen sized beds but when it all comes down to it, in doing so, the preservation of the fishery will always be in question. The "assembly line" cruising down the shore is poking, prodding and roughing up the "elders" doing their part to preserve the future of the fishery. A common thing you've read me type has been "preservation" and the "fishery". We need to do all we can to inform and educate anglers on what it takes to keep a lake healthy and keep it in balance.

Here's a quick scenario to help explain how bedfishing can hamper a fishery.

As apposed to Striper which lay up to 3 million eggs and will hatch beween 24 and 48 hours, a largemouth will lay in that 2,000- 50,000 range and will take a week to hatch. Exact numbers aren't important as this is just something for the average guy to think about. Survival rates are dependent upon the environment and other predatory species. So needless to say out of lets say 50,000 eggs, it can be a safe assumption that half or 75% will never reach adulthood.

A guy in a boat is fishing a tournament. He's passing fish after fish to find the right one. THE BIG ONE. he starts pitching on the bed over and over catching the male sometimes 4 or 5 times waiting for the female to make an appearance. The angler gets the brilliant idea to dump the bass in the livewell and keep going down the bank leaving the nest un-guarded.

Before the angler can come back to the spot, or is in the middle of working another fish, yet another boat comes up on the same bed noticing a giant fish sitting on it. This angler just needs that 1 kicker fish in order to fill out a heavy limit. He coaxes it into eating and is stoked out of his mind. He got a 10. In the livwell she goes boys! and on he goes AGAIN leaving the bed un-guarded.

Meanwhile bluegill, carp, catfish etc. are rummaging through the bed eating the eggs.

The first boat comes back bummed that someone had already snatched the fish up from underneath him. He then realizes that the male in his livewell was actually a descent fish so he leaves it then continues to search down the bank. AGAIN leaving the nest unguarded.

What it comes down to is that these anglers pulled both fish off the nest leaving the offspring for near certain death. Its a safe assumption that many if not all will perish. Multiply this by 40 boats per day, per the peak months. It's actually pretty sad.

For the guys that are genuinely out to have a good time and without a doubt care about the fishery and intend to bedfish, catch the fish, photograph it, handle it with great care and do your best to promptly release it back in the water at the same location you caught it. Sure the fish is still stressed, but at least that fish is able to retreat back to his or her bed and continue to protect the offspring.

Im not going to be a hypocrite. I've bed fished plenty of times and every now and again I'll stick one or two just for the hell of it. It's not right and I know it. I know many wont care about this subject and feel its their right to a limit, their right to utilizing their fishing permit or their right to teaching their children the outdoors as its the easiest time of year. The whole meaning of this thread is to educate an angler on what can happen if these fish constantly get poached. By what we consider "fun" we're directly impacting the future of our fishery. I don't know about you guys, but when I succumb to the "bed" bug, I feel like crap after ward.

I expect to be called out and I expect to be criticized both on this site and off, but Diamond Valley is a great fishery and I'll do what it takes to try and keep her alive.

No criticism from me, I agree 100%. it's taken DVL quite some time to recover from the damage of the last major drawdown and subsequent Striper slaughter. For years we caught skinny giant headed fish and the numbers were way down. The fish are finally looking healthy again but the numbers are still much much lower than in the past. Good post Matt and it's something all Bass anglers should ponder. If a lake has a huge healthy population of Bass, I see no problem as long as the fish are treated well, but in a still recovering lake on it's way to another huge drawdown, we should think twice about what we are doing...

For years I have been reading your posts and you are always giving excellent advice, and once again another great post, thanks Matt.

It's that time of the year that's for sure, not just for bedding but for the bed debate to begin again. Love it!

By the way I agree with you 100%!

I also agree 100%. My buddy and I will fish out away and make long casts. If we happen to catch a big one off a bed, oh well great, BUT it goes right back where it came from. We never put fish in the livewell for photos later. We keep the camera/phone handy for a quick shot then ALL fish go right back in, regardless of size or time of year. The fishery can be damaged easier than people think, especially at this time of year.
    Be smart and think about the future everyone. No need to pull fish off and remove them from beds. I get a little frustrated with the tourny guys that are the first ones to rip everyone for keeping a fish or two, but how many have they killed in the tournies by removeing them, shock or just being in the livewell all day. A few penalty pounds doesn't replace a big breeding female. Let the flames begin, but remember it's just my opinion and only that, I respect everones right to their opinion as long as they aren't breaking any laws.

Brent

I don't normally bedfish, but when I do, I throw them back right away...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PouPVZBuk

Matt, I think you make some very valid points. Only one correction I would like to make to your data: You mentioned 75% of hatchlings never reach adulthood. I would contend from my past research that 90% never reach adulthood. In fact, depending on conditions year to year, only 1 in 100 will actually reach adulthood.

Those are some serious numbers to think about.

I applaud your honesty and courage here Matt. It needs to be put out there this time of year.

On a side note, is that 10 lb bed fish you landed really to be proud of? The fish is out of its right mind and pumping with hormones to induce spawning. With respect to ethics and fair chase, I would say no.

It's not the same as off spawn time where the fish is 13 lbs and you caught it with knowledge and experience off a 20 foot deep ledge. Something to be proud of when it corn holed you twice in a tree then the rocks and you landed it, your fluoro is frayed 3 feet in, and your braid looks like the end of a cuetip. That is a picture fish and a memory........!

Good points, Matt. Most definately that time of year again.

I personally believe that bed fish should promptly be replaced back in the water. Take pics and return it asap.

On a side note, I disagree with stinkbait. A 10 pound fish caught off a bed still is a trophy for me and will make me very proud. Even though bed fish are pumped with hormones, a 10 pounder didn't got that big for been stupid. This is a fish that has used its wits to get this old . Some bed fish require more skills to be caught. Different baits and tricks are employed until you catch that fish. Getting that trophy fish pumps me up big time! It could be my PB. I care less if It came from a 20 foot deep ledge, which probably is more luck than skill since you can't see the fish. I'm not a Hypocrite neither, I love bed fishing, however I will return that fish un harmed asap.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast