Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Orange County Park Lakes Suck.

Orange county has plenty of good park lakes.

Eisenhower, Mile Square, Laguna, and tri-city are all good park lakes, and i've caught nice bass and panfish from all of them.

Each lake is different, and finding the right presentation is crucial to angling success. Try this- Take a zoom fluke, and hook it through the belly with a dropshot hook.

If you hook it right, the fluke will sink horizontally. When it reaches the bottom, GENTLY GENTLY pull up smooth and slow, it will perfectly mimic a fish with an injured swim bladder. First time i did this, i got slammed by a fat bass.

There is no doubt that Bass are alive and well in Orange County. If they can survive in the cow waste we call the Santa Ana River they can make it most anywhere. There are some that make it thru the year in Carbon Canyon park. I don't know about Tri-City anymore but seems to be almost belly up. I did have some good Carp fishing there and also caught an absolutely giant Crawdad on corn last year. Smokehound gave us a good list of waters where you can catch local Bass.
    While we still go out an catch fish, take notice of the abysmal water quality. Numerous dead ducks floating for days and the endless trash that blows along until it hits the lake and sticks. Caught some good Bass at Laguna Lake under the trash stacked up in the corner. It is cover, just not so nice. Most of the ponds choke out on weeds during the summer ( Lets throw frogs!) yet are barren and almost structure free in the winter. Cormorant heaven. We can all say we have been catching Bass with big bites on them. The Cormies are there and we can't really fight this invasive species. We could provide some depth and cover so maybe our fish would have a better chance to make it thru the winter. It's tough enough when two dozen large birds fly in with the DFG stocking truck and consume everything they can. then they are gone, the Trout are gone the small Bass/Crappie/Bluegill are severely impacted. And yet we still catch Bass. I think it speaks more to the resiliency of the species and not the quality of the Public Parks Lakes we are allowed to fish. Open up Anaheim Hills Lake, The Katella Pits, Peters Canyon. How about Anaheim Coves, soon to be teeming with Bass again. Open it up. Get a few bucks from the county and buy out Siphon and Rattlesnake reservoirs. We could pull in after work, fish some real lakes and be home by dinner. All are or were on Public Land, paid for by our taxes. Even Irvine Lake and Laguna Niguel should not charge for Entry as these are Public waters. If they charge to keep the fish they stock that would be OK with me. The Bass, Bluegill, and Crappie are naturally occuring fish that survive in the lakes un-managed and totally separate of the massive stockings of big Trout and Catfish. Give us another shot at Lake Mathews they opened it for a bit and then just quit the program. I know its not the OC but close and big. Sure would take the pressure off the other lakes. I'm going to Elsinore, the water stinks but the Bass are getting after it as well as the Crappie and Wipers. I got nothing better to do than get right in there and Float Tube it...
    Last edited by bendopolo2004; 03-31-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Agree. Have seen Tri-City Park Lake degrade from a once good trout fishery (late 1960's when it was know as Placentia Lake) to a duck poop filled, algae ridden mudhole. It's OK in the cold weather for practice. Some bass, catfish and carp.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmeister View Post
    Agree. Have seen Tri-City Park Lake degrade from a once good trout fishery (late 1960's when it was know as Placentia Lake) to a duck poop filled, algae ridden mudhole. It's OK in the cold weather for practice. Some bass, catfish and carp.
    Man, you're trolling, lol.

I've caught 6-7 lb'ers at tri-city. There are also a few 2-3 lb crappie there. It's a good lake, you just gotta know what you're doing. Shad patterns in the evening are effective. Excellent topwater lake at night, thanks to the lights.

There are three forage species there- Fathead minnows, threadfin shad, and of course, bluegill. This is a lake where craws really shine.

No kidding. When I was a kid I fished Sully Miller's crusher pit in Huntington Beach and slayed the bass. One day a park ranger showed up and kicked me out. "this isn't a park", I said. He told me it was on the HB General Plan to eventually become part of Central Park, and thus was being monitored by city park staff. So I asked if I could fish there and give them reports on the fishing for their own data resource. I was told "no thanks, too much liability having you in there". So to this day, 35 years later, there sits a perfectly fishable body of water in the middle of suburbia, surrounded by a chain link fence and fish growing old and dying having never been caught. Oh and its not part of Central Park either - its just off-limits to everyone. Now I'm 50 years old and there are great ponds behind my office complex in Laguna Hills. Guess What? "No trespassing". These are simply street run-off catch basins, but they're lined with reeds and ospreys and cormorants live here eating fish. WTH? We fisherman have become the scourge of the cities, not good for their image I guess.

Kevin

Yes- the man hates us. Nothing more disappointing that seeing fenced-off bodies of fishy water and "No Fishing" signs. I feel your pain.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567