Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange County Park Lakes Suck.

Default Orange County Park Lakes Suck.

For a County that has a gross product approaching that of many Countries, the quality of our park lakes is abysmal. I have 52 years in this county and have seen the decline first hand. One by one the bodies of water in this county have been privatized, fenced off, or just allowed to eutrophicate. Eisenhower park lake is just one example of how the city of Orange just screws up a body of water. This One Hundred year old Duck pond used to be 20 feet deep in places. The fountain always ran into the creek so as to have a population of fish and Crawdads in the creek. There were several spots you could sit on the bank and catch Crappie till your arms would tire. The lake was victim to some abuse and all the water drained out. The city builds down into the sides of the already small pond and pours sidewalks and makes some rock decorations. Then refills the lake to a depth of 8 feet. Now weeds fill the lake every summer. They put Bluestone in to kill the weeds but it also kills the plankton. This kills the Threadfin Shad. No forage for the Bass that have dwindled in numbers. The Crappie never survived again.The fountain is often broken leading to some stagnant water further depressing the fishing. Sure the State drops a few Trout in and Catfish in the summer. Fishing can even be good for a day or two. But with little depth and no current his little body of water is almost dead. Now lets look at at Tri-City Park. I found this pond on my Bicycle in the early 70's. It was surrounded by reeds and the park had yet to be built. There were several other small ponds nearby, but they were small and also surrounded by reeds. We would ride our bikes into the pond to clear out the reeds. Then go dig worms in the nearby Orange groves. Fishing those holes we caught Bullheads, Bass, Green Sunfish, and giant Bullfrogs. Now this pond is 6 feet deep and so full of duck droppings it smells. I haven't pulled a Bass out of there in several years. There are few panfish and even the Carp are skinny. I know there are still fish alive in these ponds but are we so blinded by by the slow decline that we don't notice. Why isn't Peters Canyon open to fishing ? Woodbridge Homes says their lake is private, even on Public road access. What about the Katella Pit lakes? Why can't we fish there ? In every other State in the Nation, as long as you have a license, and the water is on public land, it gets fished. East Lake in Yorba Linda, Public roads, No fishing under threat of arrest. No access to ponds with some fish. Yet we are provided with Cement surrounded, mud bottom, featureless, bodies of water to fish. Garden Grove had a big pond over by the City shopping center. My Dad took me there and we caught Big Green Sunfish and small Bass on topwater poppers. I stopped by the other day. Not a place to get caught alone. Looks like a big Meth convention. If kids could have fishing like that now maybe our sport would grow and kids might have something to do besides stare at their phones all day....

do you know about that one pond behind oc fair grounds you cant fish there but I still take the risk I caught a 8 lb out of there

Tewinkle Park. No Fishing! Thornton park is close by but it is filling with Duck poo quick. Still has Bass, Bluegill, and Crappie.
    Last edited by bendopolo2004; 03-12-2014 at 09:42 AM.

yeah have to take risk to catch fish in cali id rather risk getting a ticket while trying to catch a fish instead of causing mayhem and doing drugs on streets thorton is a pretty cool lake and yes to much ****

Growing up there in the 70s and 80s I use to ride my bike all over that area for fishing. We use to use cheese or bread dough to catch bluegill at Tewinkle park. Also living near the back bay(newport bay) I use to fish this small pond there that was fed by drainage pipe and we use to catch bluegill and frogs all day long. I don't know if its there anymore, if you head toward Newport on Irvine ave it was past the church after you pass Monte vista.

Quote Originally Posted by shiromaguro88 View Post
    Growing up there in the 70s and 80s I use to ride my bike all over that area for fishing. We use to use cheese or bread dough to catch bluegill at Tewinkle park. Also living near the back bay(newport bay) I use to fish this small pond there that was fed by drainage pipe and we use to catch bluegill and frogs all day long. I don't know if its there anymore, if you head toward Newport on Irvine ave it was past the church after you pass Monte vista.
    your talking about cherry lake still there there some good bass in there

Quote Originally Posted by youngfisherman View Post
    your talking about cherry lake still there there some good bass in there
    Not for long...

yup there was a kill of 2 years ago biggest bass in there are 2 to 3 lbs I personally hate it people there are dicks yes its there right to kick people out but the way they hadel the situation is f up

id rather risk getting a ticket while trying to catch a fish instead of causing mayhem and doing drugs on streets
    Or stealing tackle from Walmart. Oh wait:

jk

**** lol it was ment as a joke but some people took it seriously lol

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast