Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Amazing/Crazy Santa Monica Bay trip 3/9 w-pics

Default Amazing/Crazy Santa Monica Bay trip 3/9 w-pics

Finally took my 23ft Seaswirl Striper "Big Drum" out on the big pond after letting it sit for about 4 months. Since the weather has been so nice this past Fall and Winter, I've elected to take out my 15ft aluminum boat with its new 20hp Tohatsu four stroke, instead of my big boat, since my little boat gets about 15 mpg, which makes for a lot cheaper trip on the fuel consumption.
    Fortunately, the boat and trailer performed in tip-top shape, and the Bass and Rockfish were on a good chew. My good ole buddy Joe "triggerman" joined me for the trip.
    Joe with a double hook-up on two Calico Bass that we had that ate some $2.50 knock-off Blue Mackerel pattern Krocodile spoons that we bought at the Fred Hall Show.

After we caught over a dozen Calico and Sand Bass, we went and tried some Rockfish spots.
    Joe and a nice Copper Rockfish.

Joe and a fat Starry Rockfish.

Catch of the day.

We did have a cute and friendly little Seal pup that joined us for awhile when we were fishing for Rockfish.

What really amazed us is that the little pup joined Joe in the cabin for a nap. That blew me away, never have I ever seen that before.

We also saw two migratory Grey Whales and hundreds of Porpoises. Can't wait to get back on the water...HOOK-UP!!
    Till next tide,

Really cool post nice fish too!!!

That's Cool!
    Did you offer the pup a fish?
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    That's Cool!
    Did you offer the pup a fish?
    Robert
    <><
    Or at least give it a stern talking-to about messing with peoples hoop nets, and stealing peoples hooked fish? You need to set these youngsters on the right path.

Very nice mixed bag...lucky that sea lion didn't leave a "gift" in the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Drum View Post
    [/URL]
    Catch of the day.

can some one tell me what kind of fish that is on the far right never caught one???

the long one??
    Last edited by benichi; 03-12-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benichi View Post
    can some one tell me what kind of fish that is on the far right never caught one???

the long one??
    It's a ling cod

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    It's a ling cod

thank you that is so cool looking!!!

what did the wife say when you brought your new pet home?

Awesome collection of fish and a nice pup to boot! Great report!

Don