Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Gabriel river trails body of water

Default San Gabriel river trails body of water

Just the other day I went for a bike ride starting in Buena Park and ending at seal beach. I took the coyote creek path past el dorado park until it becomes theSan Gabriel river trails. A few miles after the river started, (past the ditch runoff), I noticed a ton of fish about 12-18" crashing the surface getting about a foot in the air. I couldn't tell what they were......anyone care to venture a guess? Top of the fish looked bluish, jumped kind of like trout but I doubt there could be many in there?

My guess is that they were mullet. Mullet tend to have blue or green tone on their backs. Did the fish have a white belly and appear torpedo shaped?

I agree with Ifishtoolittle.

Cya Tuna Vic

sounds like mullet for sure those little buggers can live anywhere

Perhaps they're Steelhead, returning to their ancestral homes to spawn.

Agreed...Mullets.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Perhaps they're Steelhead, returning to their ancestral homes to spawn.
    Wouldn't be surprised with that either. I've seen a Steelhead hunting for mini calicos along a harbor breakwall before.

I doubt they would be Southern Steelhead, they've been locked out of their home for 76 years.

after a ton of research ive confirmed that there are steelhead in socal (saw a few in a place north a little way of LA in december...) are they in that creek? highly unlikely. they still require pretty clean water for their really tiny runs to return, we are talking couple of dozen of fish per year in a hand full of coastal streams. the LA river, which used to be a natural system, and the San Gabriel, are so polluted that i would put lots of money on them not being there. most likely mullet, and if you get above the brackish water, there are certainly going to be some carp and some other warm water species in there.

Good Hunting

Must be cutthroat trout, making their way up to Santiago Canyon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast