Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World record Trout caught ice fishing in Minnesota

Beautiful laker.....but he did keep the fish illegally. Possession and daily limit was one. He had kept a 4 lbs. fish earlier...then when he caught the monster he gave the small one to someone else. Law states that once you keep the fish, whether you eat it, or give it away, you are done keeping anymore that day. That being said....I would be sorely tempted to keep it EXCEPT that he had been checked by F&G that day with the 4 lbs. fish in possession. He probably would have been fine if he quietly took it home and had it mounted. But as soon as a big deal is made out of it being some kind of WR it gets a lot of media attention. If I were the warden in that area and heard about this monster fish being taken in "my area" I would definitely want to see the story. When the warden sees it he recognizes the guy and the date and knows he had that tiny 4 lb. laker when they check.......BUSTED.....Canadians get pretty serious about this stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpotty View Post
    Beautiful laker.....but he did keep the fish illegally. Possession and daily limit was one. He had kept a 4 lbs. fish earlier...then when he caught the monster he gave the small one to someone else. Law states that once you keep the fish, whether you eat it, or give it away, you are done keeping anymore that day. That being said....I would be sorely tempted to keep it EXCEPT that he had been checked by F&G that day with the 4 lbs. fish in possession. He probably would have been fine if he quietly took it home and had it mounted. But as soon as a big deal is made out of it being some kind of WR it gets a lot of media attention. If I were the warden in that area and heard about this monster fish being taken in "my area" I would definitely want to see the story. When the warden sees it he recognizes the guy and the date and knows he had that tiny 4 lb. laker when they check.......BUSTED.....Canadians get pretty serious about this stuff too.

most places have a record law in place because of this... if you keep a fish on the ice it is going to die there is no live well you can use out there. I was told in Colorado by the WD that if you are at your limit and catch something that rivals the state record that you can keep it but it will be donated to science if your over limit. personally I think if you have a camera with you, measure and weight take pics and let him go. they are not good eating after about 6lbs anyway.. I caught a 23 lber in Colorado and let him go that is my biggest freshwater fish great fighters those lake trout.. oh and mine was also on the ice lol....

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Big deal! Its just a Trout!...

Mighty big words coming from a mountain lion killer with a .22 caliber! How many times did you have to shoot it again before it was out of misery and pain?
    Five quick shots in the heart, that lion was dead in less then 30 seconds!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by benichi View Post
    m I missing something how is he a greedy poacher??? do you have more to the story then we do???
    I do want to add this, unlike in CA when you limit out on a particular species. Up in Canada it would appear to be ok to still C&R. So the guy tags out, but still is fishing which is ok to do. Catches the fish, he could have taken a picture of it and let it go. But NO!!!!! THE GREEDY BASTARD keeps the fish and gives away his #4 lbs that he already tagged and was checked by the Warden!!!!!!!! He got his fish taken away from him and now he must pay the piper.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-03-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Five quick shots in the heart, that lion was dead in less then 30 seconds!!!!

so for 30 seconds a majestic animal was in complete pain and agony... way to go buddy.... not something i would brag about... so much for one shot one kill..

I do want to add this, unlike in CA when you limit out on a particular species. Up in Canada once you limit out, it would appear you can still C&R. So the guy tags out, but still is fishing which is ok to do. Catches the fish, he could have taken a picture of it and let it go. But NO!!!!! THE GREEDY BASTARD keeps the fish and gives away his #4 lbs that he already tagged and was checked by the Warden!!!!!!!!
    read my earlier post most states have a record law in place for this situation ...

so for 30 seconds a majestic animal was in complete pain and agony... way to go buddy.... not something i would brag about... so much for one shot one kill..
    I take it you don't hunt or have ever seen an animal shot with a gun or Bow??????

I take it you don't hunt or have ever seen an animal shot with a gun or Bow??????

Im an avid hunter and fisherman.. but I do not take pride in putting an animal in pain.. nor do i brag about shooting a mountain lion 5 time.. I never have had to shoot an animal 5 time..

bear, elk, deer, coyote, bobcat, it does not matter I think the most i have ever done is twice, but I don't take a shot to wound I shoot to kill and I make sure I can do it.. most of the time a good hunter needs one shot..

I make knives for hunting and fishing. don't mind getting my hands bloody.
    Last edited by benichi; 03-04-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Im an avid hunter and fisherman.. but I do not take pride in putting an animal in pain.. nor do i brag about shooting a mountain lion 5 time.. I never have had to shoot an animal 5 time..

bear, elk, deer, coyote, bobcat, it does not matter I think the most i have ever done is twice, but I don't take a shot to wound I shoot to kill and I make sure I can do it.. most of the time a good hunter needs one shot..

I make knives for hunting and fishing. don't mind getting my hands bloody.
    If you think 30 seconds is a long time for an animal to expire after being shot. Then you must only take head shots or you were very lucky on your shot placements.

He should have just sunk the 4 lber and STFU. Lol
    DR

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast