Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bedfish

If I may jump in the topic with my "not bass fisherman" background...

Where I live, in Western Europe, fishing is not a big thing as in the US.
    It is more like "take everything you catch and put it in the freezer".
    Therefore, the authorities had to find a way to go over that and protect the fishes during spawn.
    Where I live actually, in Belgium, it is forbidden to use any artificial bait or any live bait that can (even unintentionally) catch a predator fish during a period that lasts from the 31st of December to the 1st of June. You do the math, 5 month without fishing!
    The period is really long beacuse it is made to protect mostly 3 species (Pike, Perch and Walleye) but most of all because of that non-sportive behaviour of most fishermans.

I'm in SoCal for vacation this week, I will go fishing as much as I can.
    I've already tryed bed fishing to satisfy my curiosity and it reminds me of the walleye's behaviour.
    I have seen too many fishermans going around the laws and taking dozens of fishes from their nest using nightcrawlers.
    No more bed fishing for me.

I can understand that people are attracted by the idea of a trophy fish (of course, I am too) but, to me, fishing is a challenge about outsmarting the fish and I just think there nothing to outsmart in that basic survival instinct when they are spawning.
    You are pretty lucky to be allowed to fish during that period, just imagine that you could not during 5 month...

Great report, i had seeing the post a couple times and passed it, but glad i read it, awesome information!!!!

Thank you very much!!! i for sure will follow this!

Tony G

CATCH AND RELEASE!!! Good **** Matt

Ok I just have to jump in again. For crying out loud for a fish that is in just about every puddle of water some make a LMB out to be a totally wimpy fish that can't sustain their population yet they are everywhere?!?!?

Call me confused?

No wonder why some make fun of LMB guys, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Ok I just have to jump in again. For crying out loud for a fish that is in just about every puddle of water some make a LMB out to be a totally wimpy fish that can't sustain their population yet they are everywhere?!?!?
    Tell em, Seal!

And tell 'em that if the LMB population was on the downswing, why the DFG would not be instituting policies to ensure their spawning success.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Tell em, Seal!

And tell 'em that if the LMB population was on the downswing, why the DFG would not be instituting policies to ensure their spawning success.

Now you've gone and screwed up my point completely by bringing the DFG, DFW or whatever the hell they are called into the mix! I have no faith in the DFwhatever making the right moves.

They've screwed up the trout fishery good at Silverwood but nobody wants to hear that rant out of me again.
    Last edited by seal; 02-25-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Leave the bed fish alone. I don't see how they can be considered a trophy when caught with this method. Just my personal opinion.

I believe in coitus interruptus.

Quote Originally Posted by BentRod View Post
    Leave the bed fish alone. I don't see how they can be considered a trophy when caught with this method. Just my personal opinion.
    agree!!!! with you.

I dunno.. I think bed fishing is a blast! Always release the fish immediately! It improves the spawn which in turns provides more bait for the stripers in the summer and fall
    Last edited by cutbait; 02-25-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast