Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Bedfish

when it all comes down to it i guess it is what it is. there's no really changing peoples minds. the purpose of this post wasn't to lean into the typical "once a year rant" but rather to put another perspective to think about when you sit back and look at your lake one day and see nearly every boat on the lake with their trolling motors on high, staring in the water without a rod in their hands. as long as the fish get put back healthy, in my mind, things are alright. it just doesnt sit well with me to hear guys come into the tackle shop telling me they killed it and are taking their 5, legal i know, bass home for a fish fry. again t is what it is and it's perfectly legal within the law.

ive mentioned this to the water district and metropolitan at a meeting in the past. i would love to see them bouy up two coves on the lake in the spawn. one in the north and one in the south. in doing so, i would assume a big portion of fish would be able to do their thing in peace. those anglers that would like to bed fish would still have plenty of water to do their thing as well.

a lot of people ask the question about why the lake isn't fishing the way it did in the past or why it "sucks". yes lakes cycle but its obvious that DVL gets hammered by all the right baits, all the right angles and on all the right spots. its simply angling pressure on a deep clear so cal reservoir. plenty can argue the fact that perris is a much smaller lake, fewer areas and gets hit by twice the amount of fisherman. of course perris is going to be a better fishery based solely on water clarity and available cover. fish are able to spawn with the possibility of never being hooked. look at el cap in san diego vs lake castaic in los angeles. both have a history of huge fish. when you look at them now. i can guarantee you that el cap is pumping 3x's the amount of giants out of it than castaic. both lakes get stocked and both lakes get hammered with angling pressure. besides the striped bass in castaic, the water clarity and cover has given these fish a chance.

im not saying dvl sucks because it 100% does not. fish are very healthy in this lake, they can be caught with regularity but we need to keep it this way and try to manage the resource. i appreciate everyones views in the post and like Dark Shadow, I too can see it from both sides.

im no environmentalist but just someone who cares about the fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post
    when it all comes down to it i guess it is what it is. there's no really changing peoples minds. the purpose of this post wasn't to lean into the typical "once a year rant" but rather to put another perspective to think about when you sit back and look at your lake one day and see nearly every boat on the lake with their trolling motors on high, staring in the water without a rod in their hands. as long as the fish get put back healthy, in my mind, things are alright. it just doesnt sit well with me to hear guys come into the tackle shop telling me they killed it and are taking their 5, legal i know, bass home for a fish fry. again t is what it is and it's perfectly legal within the law.

ive mentioned this to the water district and metropolitan at a meeting in the past. i would love to see them bouy up two coves on the lake in the spawn. one in the north and one in the south. in doing so, i would assume a big portion of fish would be able to do their thing in peace. those anglers that would like to bed fish would still have plenty of water to do their thing as well.

a lot of people ask the question about why the lake isn't fishing the way it did in the past or why it "sucks". yes lakes cycle but its obvious that DVL gets hammered by all the right baits, all the right angles and on all the right spots. its simply angling pressure on a deep clear so cal reservoir. plenty can argue the fact that perris is a much smaller lake, fewer areas and gets hit by twice the amount of fisherman. of course perris is going to be a better fishery based solely on water clarity and available cover. fish are able to spawn with the possibility of never being hooked. look at el cap in san diego vs lake castaic in los angeles. both have a history of huge fish. when you look at them now. i can guarantee you that el cap is pumping 3x's the amount of giants out of it than castaic. both lakes get stocked and both lakes get hammered with angling pressure. besides the striped bass in castaic, the water clarity and cover has given these fish a chance.

im not saying dvl sucks because it 100% does not. fish are very healthy in this lake, they can be caught with regularity but we need to keep it this way and try to manage the resource. i appreciate everyones views in the post and like Dark Shadow, I too can see it from both sides.

Yes, but you have a beard like a tree hugging hippie!!!! LOLOL I think you are an environmental lobbyist...how dare you!!!

Of course I'm just jealous...I could NEVER grow that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post

Stripers killed DV & Castaic. No striper at El Cap & Perris(besides the rouges). Not too hard to figure out. The bed fishing never helps, but it doesn't even get anywhere close to what the stripers do to a fishery...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCarpSuck View Post
    Stripers killed DV & Castaic. No striper at El Cap & Perris(besides the rouges). Not too hard to figure out. The bed fishing never helps, but it doesn't even get anywhere close to what the stripers do to a fishery...
    Time for the annual "ALL Stripers need to all be killed" thread

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCarpSuck View Post
    Yup, especially when the lake is drawn way down. It's definitely a Stripey gorge fest down there. Very little vegetation for the fry and juveniles to shelter in. The Gills, shad and Crappy don't fair so well either. Plus throw in the roaming squadrons of huge egg eating Carp. It's sad because the lake was beginning to rebound from the last aquatic disaster...

I don't think you can blame the carp for eating the eggs, but they are doing their thing too and the mud they churn up can (and does) bury the eggs of the bass, at least that's how I understand it- silt buries the little guys and chokes them out before they have a chance. Carp have been in all of our water for quite awhile, unlike the jailbirds- I think Castaic is the shining example of what can happen to a trophy fishery if exotics get in there. DVL didn't get the chance to show what she could do before it happened there. Obviously DVL is still a good lake, but I'll take El Cap, Otay, or Perris over DV. I've never fished Miramar but what needs to be said? Guys have been doing the rotation around the lake all spring for years and years. Sucks when somebody keeps a big girl with good genes, same with the calicos on the big pond, but that's always happened. DVL never got her chance to shine on the big stage....

Quote Originally Posted by bassnet View Post
    I don't think you can blame the carp for eating the eggs, but they are doing their thing too and the mud they churn up can (and does) bury the eggs of the bass, at least that's how I understand it- silt buries the little guys and chokes them out before they have a chance. Carp have been in all of our water for quite awhile, unlike the jailbirds- I think Castaic is the shining example of what can happen to a trophy fishery if exotics get in there. DVL didn't get the chance to show what she could do before it happened there. Obviously DVL is still a good lake, but I'll take El Cap, Otay, or Perris over DV. I've never fished Miramar but what needs to be said? Guys have been doing the rotation around the lake all spring for years and years. Sucks when somebody keeps a big girl with good genes, same with the calicos on the big pond, but that's always happened. DVL never got her chance to shine on the big stage....

Carp do in fact eat LMB eggs;

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...ommon_carp.htm

It does make sense that the carp eat the eggs, after all they are sucking stuff off the bottom and eggs are probably a good source of food, but I've never seen a carp vacuuming eggs off a bed. Doesn't mean that doesn't happen, but the sunfish sound like a bigger enemy to the bed. Regardless, go out and have fun and release the bass you catch, we'll be okay. I still say the stripers are a bigger problem, but that's just my 2 cents. It could be worse, we're doing pretty well with the low water levels and stuff, and we do have the opportunity to catch a giant that most people only dream of.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910