Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Skunkbuster

Default Skunkbuster

I've been out of town for a few weeks, so when I hit the lake on Friday I expected things to have changed some. Just after launching I metered a bunch of stripers just outside the launch ramp, but I wanted to check the point next to Necktie canyon first to see if that was still happening. Got there, no other boats, metered around and saw nothing. Didn't bother trying there...checked a few other spots, then went back to the marina area and anchored where I saw the most marks...after an hour of no bites but lots of meter marks, I finally got bit on a sardine chunk...the fish found my anchor rope, and I managed to slide it up the rope until I could see it...about a 3 pounder...and then it managed to unhook itself and swam away...fished another hour for nothing, and it was starting to look like one of those days that is worse than a skunk, when you catch nothing and lose your one hooked fish. I pulled anchor and headed up the fishing arm, and eventually found a spot where there were some good marks, and one other boat. He had a small striper to show for his efforts. After an hour of fishing with no results, I finally got bit and landed a 3 pounder...for the next hour and a half, it was a slow pick on schoolies and two nicer 4-5 pounders...not wide open but way better action that it was looking like earlier.
    Here's the 3 best fish

I gave the guy I was fishing near the 3 pounder, let the lip-hooked schoolies go, and gave a couple gut-hooked schoolies to the guy who tagged my boat on the way out. The weather was spectacular...no wind and 80 degrees. We could use some rain, but it sure beats the polar vortex back east.

Congrats on the catching!

Thanks for the report. It's good to hear that they're still biting.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Congrats on the catching!

Thanks for the report. It's good to hear that they're still biting.
    Thanks fishinone...they seem a bit reluctant, and they've moved around, but they'll bite eventually once you find them...if I remember reading right, you're having engine issues? I hope they get resolved soon so you can get into the bite before the rain comes this weekend...that could really change things.

I'll say some action is better than no action way to hunt them down and beat the skunk thanks for the report ..lo

Quote Originally Posted by lowe View Post
    I'll say some action is better than no action way to hunt them down and beat the skunk thanks for the report ..lo
    Agreed Lowe...all's well that ends well, and this day ended quite well in my book...it's a good feeling to figure out something that works when the first several spots didn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Thanks fishinone...they seem a bit reluctant, and they've moved around, but they'll bite eventually once you find them...if I remember reading right, you're having engine issues? I hope they get resolved soon so you can get into the bite before the rain comes this weekend...that could really change things.
    Thanks for remembering my motor woes. I've got oil running out of the water intakes on the lower unit. I was worried that it was a cracked head, from me pulling my boat up the ramp with it idling a few weeks ago. It's not. A seal is gone out of the lower unit. I ordered a seal kit and a water pump rebuild kit, now I have to take the lower unit apart and check the bearings. I might just replace the bearings anyway. The plan is to be back up and running for March 15th.

If I remember right, winter storms often cause the striper to go on the feed a day or two later. This looks like a winter storm to me but I don't really know what to expect because the fish seem to have gone onto a spring pattern lately.

For now, I'm going to expect them to go on the feed next week, because that's what I want them to do.

Engine problems are never good, but if they're going to happen, I suppose winter is the best time...here's hoping you're up and running after this upcoming string of storms.