Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Pete being serious about how good hes doing at Perris you may ask??????

Default Is Pete being serious about how good hes doing at Perris you may ask??????

This should answer your question....

Me and Barry got 1st place at the National Bass West Tournament yesterday at Perris lake.

As I said several times last week... The bite at Perris has been REALLY GOOD! (AT LEAST IN MY BOAT)
    I had a couple days last week of great fishing with Tuesday being the best day numbers wise because we had over 46 bass with our best 4 bass weighing about 15 lbs and then on Weds we had less fish (around 15 bass) but we had much bigger fish with our best 4 bass limit weighing about 22-24lbs.
    So when my tournament started yesterday I knew exactly what I needed to do to, I knew what to throw and where to throw it to give me my best possible chance at doing well in the tournament.
    I knew the lake got POUNDED on Saturday so I told my partner that we "may have a slower morning then I would like" but if we stuck with the game plan we should still get the bites we'd need to contend for a win.
    On Saturday night before the tournament I told Barry that I was nervous about this event because I knew we could do well.. Call it nervous anticipation I guess.. Oddly enough I slept pretty well that night and got a good sound 5 hours sleep so I was feeling good.
    We head to the lake and sign in... we were boat 32... then my nerves started to fire again because I knew we might not get the starting spot I wanted because 30 boats would be heading out before us.
    So they call our number and off we go, not knowing what the day had in store for us but we were holding a lot of hope.
    Surprisingly enough we get to our first spot and theres one boat close to it.. I nicely ask which area he wants and tell him I have no problem fishing behind him if wanted the fresh water. He told me, "Start where ever you want Pete, no problem". But the right thing to do was to let him have the fresh water so I started behind him on water he had just went through..
    So me and Barry start firing away...reaction baits.. We cast ..and Cast...and Cast...But get no love. I told Barry to just keep firing away as I expected it to be just like this... Finally every boat in the area leaves and we stick around changing it up finesse and reaction baits. "I know this area is holding good fish, they've just been heavily pressured", I said.
    Finally Barry says "Im on" as I net our first keeper of the day... "Keep on firing", I say... and we did for almost 2 hours.. No more bites..
    Then I say. "WE GONE" And we finally make a move across the lake... The next spot was an area Barry had a 10lber come off at the boat earlier in the week.
    On the way to that spot I busted out some delicious Tri Tip that we BBQ'd the night before... I cut it up into chunks and warmed it up that morning in tupper ware so it was still kinda warm..almost 3 lbs of it!!! By the time we reached the spot MOST of the Tri tip was gone and I looked at Barry and said, "I want a nap now" lol
    No time for naps though, we have work to do... as we both start firing away with reaction baits...
    We worked about a 300 yard stretch of bank and NO LOVE... "Lake Perris is being stingy today", I said. I tell Barry to stay confident because I have ALOT of tricks up my sleeve and we still had ALOT of good areas I wanted to hit.
    We finished off that Biteless Dead sea of a bank that we were fishing And I say, Lets go"...so we make a move... "We're gonna go destroy them in deep water!", I say.
    I didn't want to go out there so early but I was feeling a bit pressured with only one fish in the livewell.. But I had to make the call. So to the depths we went in search of the Giant Bass that inhabit the deep water that Perris has to offer..

We get to one of my favorite ledges and I drop the buoy... turn on the graph... The bass are stacked up....Just like I left them on Weds..
    First cast...FISH ON!!! 4lber!!! BOOOOM.... great start... That bass started what was a clinic that Barry and I put on for the next couple hours... and one point I caught 6 bass on 6 casts... and I was finding my groove. I tell Barry..."Im feeling it" Then Barry goes on a run of his own...about 6-7 in a row... When one of us catches fire, all the other person can do is be ready with the net. We put a hurt on those bass.. Then I caught one and I was fizzing it when I looked at the graph and a HUGE SCHOOL of at least 20 Giant bass was right under the boat....I quickly back the boat off and I tell Barry throw right there..and he did.. as his bait hit bottom, he tightened his line and felt..THUMP.. and he set the hook. His rod doubled over as a huge bass shook its head in 30 ft of water.. Then Barry got a handle on it and it came to the surface right to the net... BOOOM 7 1/2 lber!!!! That's what Im talking about!!!
    I instantly say, "that's the one we needed"...we have about 16 1/2 lbs and I think that may be enough to win... But we keep fishing anyway....We're greedy like that..
    With about an hour left in the day and the deep bite slowing down because we flat out tore them up...I tell Barry "lets go catch a good one to make another cull".... So we head over to one of my favorite prespawn high spots that the bass really stack up on this time of year.. First cast I get bit but it doesn't hook up..... Then on Barrys 3rd cast His reaction bait GETS SMOKED!!!! "IM ON" he says as I hear strain in his voice... I look at his rod and say you have a donkey.... Barry fights it perfectly and keeps it down all the way to the net... I reach down and net it....BOOOM... 8 1/2 lber... All I say is ... "GAME OVER"!!!!!
    That big bass was Barrys personal best.. 8.49 lbs..It beat his personal best of 8.44 lbs..Not by a lot but its still a PB...Good job Bro!!!
    I made the right calls, we grinded it out, we fished hard, and we came away with the win... Barry had the 2 Giants in our limit and he had his best day in a long time... All the hard work paid off.
    Our 4 bass limit weighed almost 22 lbs. We beat 2nd place by over 5 lbs. We didn't get big bass of the tournament because the 2nd place finisher had a solid 9 lb giant..Congrats to him for that beast!!!

I cant say what exact baits we caught our bass on because I have an ABA tournament this Saturday at perris but I will say we fished prespawn areas with reaction baits and we also fished deep water with plastics and some reaction baits.

Anyway... If you have been reading my reports and wondering if Ive actually been doing as good at Perris lately as ive been saying...This should confirm it for you. I never fib in my reports. That's not the way I roll... When I do good I say I do good, when I do not so good, I say it too... It is what it is... Its Fishing..And I love this freaking sport!!!

If your ready for your trip to Perris CALL ME and get your trip booked!!! The bite is getting good...and the bite is better during the week!!!

CALL ME!!! ..........................................Good times!..................

Pete

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
    (909) 510-5679 office
    Last edited by Pete Marino; 02-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.

man i want to go to perris im interested can you pm some more info

Congrats Pete! You guys killed it...

congrats Pete and thanks for letting us know ahead of time that the bass were chewing!!!

I usually don't post or reply on these lmb tourney threads ,,however I gotta say,,,,,CONGRATS and thanks for the top notch read,,,,you guys kill,d it!

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks everybody.. : )

Some people I meet say they love my tournament stories so thats why I write them. I don't write to well Im sure, and Im sure my grammer isn't up to par but I just write it as if Im saying it and some people like it so I do it.. So I hope you enjoyed it.. I always keep it real and include little tidbits from the day that make the story funny..Its good fun ..

Pete

Way to put a hurt on um Pete and congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Marino View Post
    Thanks everybody.. : )

Some people I meet say they love my tournament stories so thats why I write them. I don't write to well Im sure, and Im sure my grammer isn't up to par but I just write it as if Im saying it and some people like it so I do it.. So I hope you enjoyed it.. I always keep it real and include little tidbits from the day that make the story funny..Its good fun ..

Pete
    Dude, your writing is just fine, it's the substance that counts. I definitely enjoy your posts and the eye candy you include in them. And I look forward to more. Thanks for posting Pete...

TEAM DONKEY!!
    Way to go Pete and Barry, way to "stick em"!!

Neat report and good stuff. Plus a big congrats are in order, but I cant get that three pounds of pulled pork out of my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast