Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to castaic lake, tips welcome

Default New to castaic lake, tips welcome

With two trips under my belt to castaic lake and no stripers to show for it I figured I'd turn to my fellow FNNrs for advice , it's seems like I'm close to being on the right track but just need some guidance for a successful trip , I've doing plenty of homework on this and learned allot but still have a long way to go , I've been fishing cut sardines and nigh crawlers at the bottom and swim baits on the top but nothing yet .
    So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated since I plan to return there soon , no quitting here.
    Thanks in advance

When baitfishing, use light fluorocarbon line and small hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    When baitfishing, use light fluorocarbon line and small hooks.
    I have been using #8 green mono , thinking that it was light enough not to be seen and strong enough to get them out of the deep waters, as far hooks ive been using #2 for the cut sardines.
    ill definitely go lighter next trip , thanks

Higher TroutOnly for the day. He will get you on fish and then use the same techniques you learn on your boat. Speed up your learning curve. If not meter schools and use 4lb-6lb test.

First you have to remember its early Feb.. barely out of Jan....

After dealing with that realization it should make you feel better.

I fish 4 lb on bait. Stay with it, you'll get on em. Remember the bait reports are from fisherman that know the Castaic bait bite than anyone. Don't compare your trips to theirs.. I would befriend those guys as soon as possible. Great guys and would be helpful if asked

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    First you have to remember its early Feb.. barely out of Jan....

After dealing with that realization it should make you feel better.

I fish 4 lb on bait. Stay with it, you'll get on em. Remember the bait reports are from fisherman that know the Castaic bait bite than anyone. Don't compare your trips to theirs.. I would befriend those guys as soon as possible. Great guys and would be helpful if asked
    thanks for the advice, and like I said no quitting here I know I'm just going through the usual new lake New species skunks just like everyone else, one thing for sure is I'm swapping out my #8 asap, thanks for all the info I knew I could count on my fellow FNNrs

Take me with you Lucky. fished Castaic a lot when I was a kid and would kill stripers and catfish so lets saddle up and go budddyyyy

I didnt know you still fished MrTrex.

Was just there on Saturday lucky while you were getting skunked..

Hey bud, what up. for shore fishing:
    recently i have been walking around with lures getting a good exercise out of my trips but i use to bait fish a lot so i know a little bro. bait bite has been good on the dam, all the way in the end. i see people fishing there all the time catching fish. i caught a couple there myself 3 wks ago using frozen anchovies from marina del rey landing bait co. and they worked great. using 6 lb p line. Ok so right now with the high winds the hardest part is casting the bait sometimes, but right before casting wait for a good time where the wind dies down that second and bang cast out far as you can 25 - 40 ft is good. some people fly line, i prefer putting weight. Also keep an eye out for Castaic Gallion Corner when they have fresh bait once in a while and they are very nice people to get some insight as well on the bite recently, you dont have to go to Martina Del rey to get some bait, i drive by there sometime so it works for me. good luck out there bro and yes giving up is no good, we all learn something from skunks and when applying a different strategy to our next trip makes its an adventure. share your report when you catch em .peace out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast