Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL bluegill + stripers

Default DVL bluegill + stripers

Hi guys, me and my dad got the day off Monday so were planning on heading to DVL. We went a couple weeks ago for the first time and mainly explored the lake, we were planning on targeting striper and
    Bluegill and was wondering if anyone had some tips/suggestions on where to fish that they could give us? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The ladders on the dams are usually loaded with gills. But its been a while since ive looked for em.

It might be a little early in the season for a decent Bluegill bite. They are more active starting in March and then on through the spring and summer.

I thought it was too early too but we were talking to some people that killed it on the bluegill when we were there a few weeks ago, so who knows... Hopefully... I never thought about those ladders! We were wondering about the rock cliffs bouncing a little jig along them, my lowrance went blank when we got near them tho, anyone know how deep it is right there? Also what do you use for bait? Just worms?
    Thanks again!

I catch gills on flylined mealworms but if they are deeper ill dropshot a tiny hook and DS the mealworms. I have seen some schools in the 30-45 FOW area lately. Good luck out there

I have been getting into the gills on the north west dam in deep water, 56 to 72ft. on 2lb. line and a watermelon grub on a 1/16th oz jig. It has to be dead calm or you can't stay on top of them. Nothing of size but allot of fun if you can target them and drop straight down on them with the jig set up. Good luck!

prankster13 said the Bluegill they caught were "nothing of size", but you just never know how big they will be. I have caught and seen some real true giant Bluegill and Redears taken out of the lake, like this close to 3 pound coppernose Bluegill taken a couple of years ago:

Awesome thanks for the tips guys, will let you know how it goes... That's a huge bluegill!!! Pretty amazing! I've gotten a few 2+ pounders out of skinner, and they can really put up a fight and be a lot of fun to catch with lighter gear!

my first fish out of DVL was 2 pound gill, they get pretty big there. we caught him drifting crawlers in the middle of the lake about 300 yards from one of the dams at about 40 feet deep. no real strategy to it i guess, just dumb luck.

Good Hunting
    Last edited by Tubbytuba; 02-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.