Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The smallest ultralight spinning reel?

Default The smallest ultralight spinning reel?

Does anyone know who makes the smallest QUALITY ultralight spinning reel? I am looking for a tiny, well built reel, with a smooth drag. So many of the tiny spinning reels are crap. I would like to find one that is under 5 ounces. Not sure if this is possible though.. Anyone have any info?

Lightest I have found of any quality is the Pfluger Patriarch weighing in at 5.6oz. It is very high quality and super smooth. Set you back two bills.

You probably meant, 'along with the latest bells and whistles'. So my recommendation won't fit.

BUT if you meant just the smallest quality UL reel under 5 oz, ther eis only one that matches the description that I know.

The vintage Daiwa 500c. There is still a following and it still routinely hit $40 on ebay. And much more for a new one. 4.9 oz. Solid metal. Incredibly durable. Large drag. Tiny reel. Lasts forever it seems.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Does anyone know who makes the smallest QUALITY ultralight spinning reel? I am looking for a tiny, well built reel, with a smooth drag. So many of the tiny spinning reels are crap. I would like to find one that is under 5 ounces. Not sure if this is possible though.. Anyone have any info?

I have a shimano symetry 500 that is by far one of my favorite reels to use , I've battled plenty of fish on it and its never let me down , super smooth drag system and very light I have it paired up with a phenix mirage and its a killer set up for any kind of pan fish. You can pick up a used symetry for about $60 retail new they go for $100 but if you are willing to to spend the time and look you can find a new one on line for about $70 -75 ,you won't be disappointed with this reel.
    Last edited by luckyjr21; 01-25-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Symetry is definitely excellent for the dollar and should last a while. However, he wanted sub 5 oz and there is just not many that is sub 5 oz.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by luckyjr21 View Post
    I have a shimano symetry 500 that is by far one of my favorite reels to use , I've battled plenty of fish on it and its never let me down , super smooth drag system and very light I have it paired up with a phenix mirage and its a killer set up for any kind of pan fish. You can pick up a used symetry for about $60 retail new they go for $100 but if you are willing to to spend the time and look you can find a new one on line for about $70 -75 ,you won't be disappointed with this reel.

I have a Daiwa Spinmatic. This is one of the micro ultralights, I use 2# on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Symetry is definitely excellent for the dollar and should last a while. However, he wanted sub 5 oz and there is just not many that is sub 5 oz.

UL
    Not familiar with the weight of the symetry , but I've jigged it all day and it was fine

This is a difficult one. There are not many ultralight but with smooth drag fishing reels out there. Actually if your spinning reel is too light and you combine it with an also lightweight fishing rod you could easily loose your equipment when casting or being heavily pulled if you are not careful. That is one of the main reasons most anglers prefer to handle heavier reels.
    The Shimano Stradic CI4 is one of the lightest but smoothest spinning reels in the market. The lightest model weights 6.1 oz which is not exactly what you are looking for but it is a brilliant reel. In fact the Stradic CI4 is the best spinning reel within the Shimano catalog, but this is just my opinion. I hope this helps

I have an older Daiwa Spinmatic-X 500T that I still use and really like. I have it spooled with 2 lb test that I use mainly for Bluegill, Redears and crappie, but have got some nice bass in the process:

I've been using the older symmetry 500fj for about two seasons now and they're did okay. The only problem i had with the reel was from water intrusion. Since I float tube quite a bit, the reels were exposed to the elements regularly. You just have to maintain this reel more often.

That being said, i do play on getting a newer model symetry 500 to replace this reel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast