Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Mead - Nevada

Default Lake Mead - Nevada

This is a short report. Winter time fishing has hit the lake pretty hard. Fishing has really slowed down. There are still a few Threadfin and Gizzard shad in the Las Vegas Wash area but very difficult to catch. Once you have some shad start looking in the deep water for fish. We found a few biters in 100 to 180 ft of water. We ended up with 10 fish total for the day. I have to admit pulling these Strippers from such deep water is a lot of fun. Sorry no Pictures. I can not figure this system out at all. Eventually I will be able to post a bunch of pictures for you guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc pictures 002.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	43245  

send the pics to my email and i will gladly post them for you cstepanuk101@gmail.com

Where did you find the shad? Did you use throw net?

Quote Originally Posted by twcthfsh View Post
    Where did you find the shad? Did you use throw net?
    I live 10 min from mead. You can get shad all year round. We get them up in the wash where the river comes in and government wash area as well. To be honest MEAD SUX!!! We don't even waste our time going out there anymore. It's a huge waste of time to go out and catch schoolers. We sold our boat because mead was so crappy. Between the stupid jet skiers and the complete lack of boat eddict by the pleasure boaters and wake boarders it's a joke. Since they stopped stocking trout in the lake it has changed the lake a lot. The fish worth catching are few and far between. As soon as you find a place or pattern to them the place gets so fished out and no one releases fish here. Willow is crap too. All that money they spent down there to make that place all pretty for what? I have been going to willow for years and have never see the small parking lot even close to full. The wife and I are over the fishing here. We got 2 boys ready to graduate high school when they are done we are outta here goin somewhere with options. Thinking Reno truckee river and pyramid lake are freakin awesome!!! Just my 2 cents

Vegas Fish Slayer you made the right call on Pyramid Lake ladder fishing for giant cutthroat trout is what memories and legends are about.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Vegas Fish Slayer you made the right call on Pyramid Lake ladder fishing for giant cutthroat trout is what memories and legends are about.
    I have fished pyramid a couple of times all off the float tube. I strictly fish 2lb test and all the guys up there laugh and say it can't be done. The last time we went up was in oct for the opener. Had 3 ft rolling waves the whole time managed to get 5 trout for the trip no giants just some 5lbers and a ton of the chubs all caught on mini jigs

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I have fished pyramid a couple of times all off the float tube. I strictly fish 2lb test and all the guys up there laugh and say it can't be done. The last time we went up was in oct for the opener. Had 3 ft rolling waves the whole time managed to get 5 trout for the trip no giants just some 5lbers and a ton of the chubs all caught on mini jigs

Done it twice off the ladder fly fishing tossing large wooly bugger type fly's. Cold and even colder the second time ice in the guides and the wind is a killer for sure. 9 lbs my largest and had one of my reels spooled and broke off once no idea how big that one might have been $80 worth of line and backing gone, glad I did not loose the rod and reel (7 wt rod bent like a ultralight) lol.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 02-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.