Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DMV FEEs for Quagga & Zebra Mussels

Default DMV FEEs for Quagga & Zebra Mussels

I received my Quagga & Zebra Mussels stickers along with my registration renewal. So, I had to verify excaclty where to affix this sticker on my boat and as I figured it's aft of the Boat registration sticker. I wanted to see just where my $16 bucks was going for this required fresh water fee. And here is what the DMV has on their site.

" What is being done in response to quagga/zebra mussels?

An Interagency Quagga/Zebra Mussel Team*, comprised of federal and state agencies and private partners, has been working together to contain and control quagga and zebra mussels in California since their discovery in Lake Mead in January 2007 and subsequently in water bodies in southern California. Zebra mussels were discovered in a central California water body in January 2008. Their actions include coordination and reporting of the following:

Increased watercraft inspections at California Department of Food and Agriculture Border Protection Stations.
    Development and implementation of monitoring plans for high risk water bodies in the state.
    Training of state, federal and local agency staff and K-9 units to conduct watercraft inspections and monitoring.
    Public outreach and education to watercraft owners through print and online media, outdoor signage and distribution of information at public/media events. (e.g., a Boat Cleaning Guide Book, watercraft inspections contact information, etc.). More information can be found on DBW and/or CDFW websites."

I am not complaining all that much, I mean I have to pay for it if I want to boat in California fresh water, but I am just wondering how much money My Great State of California is going to rake in...Notice they are Training K-9 units to conduct watercraft inspections...lol I hope good ol SPIKE can sniff out those invading quagga/zebra mussels...lol

Happy Holiday's and see ya on the lake.

661Bass'n
    (Alex)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I can't wait for the quagga to infest California so we can be done with this.

Its not about fish its about pipes, this quagga problem

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Its not about fish its about pipes, this quagga problem
    And the only reason we have lakes to fish, are these pipes.

Soooo....we have a problem.

contain and control quagga and zebra mussels.............. ha hahahahhhhhhaaaaaaa lol !!!!!! that's a good one. So you are basically paying $16 to be turned away from fishing a lake that already contains what they are trying to contain ? Wow and I thought my state was crooked. That is so cruel its almost awesome.

can quagga truly be contained??? i don;t think so... the inspections honestly dont work... so not really sure what the plan is... if anything, this quagga fee, should go towards maybe research and finding something that will kill it, if they really want to use our money...

using this money for inspection is just delaying the inevitable whereas, if they research on a possible solution to destroy quagga, that would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    And the only reason we have lakes to fish, are these pipes.

Soooo....we have a problem.
    Shirley, you don't expect them to be stopped?

Hey guys,
    The Quagga/Zebra mussel is a very real and difficult problem for the western waters. I don't believe most of the public is aware of just how difficult and expensive mitigation costs can be. It is costing Eastern reservoirs tens of millions in annual operation costs, yearly. Our water supply system here in Southern California is a delicate system that is stretched to near limit, and cannot well absorb the added difficulty of a destructive invasive species. This is why the state and local water authorities are worried. As far as what you get for your, $16 bucks? Considering we (the state) are broke, and the typical, relentless suction of the "General Fund",... God knows…

bodfish

PS. Just as a "point of order", our access to the reservoirs in this state are by the good graces of the water districts who own the water and a vague California State Constitutional law (and an even vaguer Federal law) regarding our "right" to use of California Natural Resources. Neither of which has been adequately tested in either Supreme Court. I don't believe there is any argument with the fact that boat bilge water is the primary means by which the mussels spread. (Hell, that's how they got here!). if at very least, recreational boating will be immediately blamed for the spread of the infestation if it occurs. I think we should cooperate with the authorities as much as possible and press for even more effort to solve this problem. I realize that some of the techniques the authorities employ may not seem logical or efficient, but it's a State agency for Cripes sake! We need to give them as much input and help as we are able to, if only to forestall an even worse consequence. NO, or RESTRICTED ACCESS!!! My worry is that there is going to come a time in California when the sanctity of the water supply is going to become of paramount importance and our right to recreational access will be challenged….. at which point we all lose.

Oh,… by the way,...Happy New Year everybody……..

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    I received my Quagga & Zebra Mussels stickers along with my registration renewal. So, I had to verify excaclty where to affix this sticker on my boat and as I figured it's aft of the Boat registration sticker. I wanted to see just where my $16 bucks was going for this required fresh water fee. And here is what the DMV has on their site.

" What is being done in response to quagga/zebra mussels?

An Interagency Quagga/Zebra Mussel Team*, comprised of federal and state agencies and private partners, has been working together to contain and control quagga and zebra mussels in California since their discovery in Lake Mead in January 2007 and subsequently in water bodies in southern California. Zebra mussels were discovered in a central California water body in January 2008. Their actions include coordination and reporting of the following:

Increased watercraft inspections at California Department of Food and Agriculture Border Protection Stations.
    Development and implementation of monitoring plans for high risk water bodies in the state.
    Training of state, federal and local agency staff and K-9 units to conduct watercraft inspections and monitoring.
    Public outreach and education to watercraft owners through print and online media, outdoor signage and distribution of information at public/media events. (e.g., a Boat Cleaning Guide Book, watercraft inspections contact information, etc.). More information can be found on DBW and/or CDFW websites."

I am not complaining all that much, I mean I have to pay for it if I want to boat in California fresh water, but I am just wondering how much money My Great State of California is going to rake in...Notice they are Training K-9 units to conduct watercraft inspections...lol I hope good ol SPIKE can sniff out those invading quagga/zebra mussels...lol

Happy Holiday's and see ya on the lake.

661Bass'n
    (Alex)
    FYI. The K9 dogs that the DFW uses are trained to detect quagga mussels and their larvae. They do work. I've seen it with my own eyes. Laugh all you want, but when and/or if most of these waters get contaminated then the lovely water agencies who own them will shut down ALL boats from the lakes. They won't say, "Well, we got quaggas, might as well give up and stop checking boats." They will definitely say, "Well, that's it. We're done. No more boats on our water. Too much money invested in cleaning pipes and equipment on water that is primarily here for drinking water, not recreation." Make no mistake about it, the DFW and other agencies are endlessly looking for a way to control invasive species of all types. The money isn't being wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    Attached is a page I found while researching the DFW website. It illustrates the location of where the Quagga decal is to be placed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MusselFeeStickerLocation.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	43128