Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt-Sun-12-22-13 More year end Reds and Lings!

Default Rpt-Sun-12-22-13 More year end Reds and Lings!

Fishing with Dave Robinson, on his 28’ Farallon “Hooked”, with friends Mark, Kevin and Lal. We left Dave’s slip in Newport Harbor at 5:00 am Sunday morning.

The seas were very calm, as forecasted and provided a pleasant ride to the Island.

Dave set us up on one of his favorite waypoints and it was game on. I began the day using my usual 8oz. Jax Jig with a Shrimp Fly tied 18 inches above the lure. I hit bottom, reeled in my slack, yo yoed a few times and wound up. I was bit hard; the fish gave a good head shake, and some feisty moves on the way up. A nice Red arose from the depths:

Everyone was winding in a fish and between the five of us we caught three Reds, a Bocaccio and a Santa Maria on our first drop. Time to get in another drop and I caught another Red and Lal caught a nice Red and of all things a Sheephead:

Dave re-positioned us and most everyone got bit instantly.

I came up with a double on the Reds, what a great start to the day for me:

Mark also caught a nice Red:

The wind came up and fishing became a bit more difficult. We picked away at the fish, with mostly Bocaccio, some smaller Reds and Santa Marias being caught.

Kevin with a big Red:

I caught a few quality Santa Maria’s like this::

With the very rapid drift Dave had to constantly set us up on a new drift. Fortunately he had lots of choices to choose from. After a few hours the winds backed off and the ocean became grease calm. The fish also liked the change in conditions and went on a serious chew.

Mark caught our first legal Lingcod, and then Kevin caught a 25” Lingcod, with Captain Dave catching a nice Red:

Captain Dave with a bigger Red:

Kevin with another nice Red:

Lal also caught some nice Reds:

We limited out and headed home around 2:30pm. The ride was excellent until about 10 miles out from Newport Harbor when we had to slow down a bit. We stopped outside the harbor to clean fish at 5pm. We then idled inside the harbor, joining all the boats that were sightseeing all the Christmas decorations and preparing for the final night of the Parade of Lights. A fun way to the end the day’s activity.

Thanks Dave, for another fantastic fishing adventure. Hook up! Cory

You guys killed it again, I'm gonna have to stowaway on your next trip. Your freezers must be overflowing with killer fillets by now LOL.

Very cool,no lack of taco meat there,nice pictures,looked like a buetiful day out there,WTG.

Cya TUNAVIC

Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    You guys killed it again, I'm gonna have to stowaway on your next trip. Your freezers must be overflowing with killer fillets by now LOL.
    What dosen't make it to the frying pan at my house goes to family, friends and work! No freezer fish for me I'm spoiled on fresh!

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaslam View Post
    What dosen't make it to the frying pan at my house goes to family, friends and work! No freezer fish for me I'm spoiled on fresh!

Cory
    Very nice the only way to roll!!!!
    l