Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Advice for fishing the East Bay (Alameda, Berkeley Pier, etc)

Default Advice for fishing the East Bay (Alameda, Berkeley Pier, etc)

Hey guys,

I'm heading back up for the holidays and wanted to get some ideas as to where I could head for some fun. Last time I stopped at Treasure Island and caught one or two perch on fish crack with a light setup. Had to use split shot sinkers below a dropshotted hook to keep it out of the rocks that time.

This time I'm thinking about heading up to the Berkeley Pier. I recall going there as a kid and my dad picking up a pound of live grass shrimp and catching nothing haha. I'm thinking about bringing my Sedona 4000FD w/ 10lb test and a cheapo Shakespeare 6pc rod rated up to 12lb. Definitely not intending to hookup on a shark or anything huge, but just want to have a little fun. Any tips on how to rig up, what bait(s) to use, where to get live bait (if suggested), and where/when to fish? Ironically, I never explored much of the Bay Area waters growing up... most of my fishing experience has been down in SoCal

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm heading back up for the holidays and wanted to get some ideas as to where I could head for some fun. Last time I stopped at Treasure Island and caught one or two perch on fish crack with a light setup. Had to use split shot sinkers below a dropshotted hook to keep it out of the rocks that time.

This time I'm thinking about heading up to the Berkeley Pier. I recall going there as a kid and my dad picking up a pound of live grass shrimp and catching nothing haha. I'm thinking about bringing my Sedona 4000FD w/ 10lb test and a cheapo Shakespeare 6pc rod rated up to 12lb. Definitely not intending to hookup on a shark or anything huge, but just want to have a little fun. Any tips on how to rig up, what bait(s) to use, where to get live bait (if suggested), and where/when to fish? Ironically, I never explored much of the Bay Area waters growing up... most of my fishing experience has been down in SoCal

TIA!
    Well, on Christmas Eve, I decided to check out the Berkeley Marina Pier. Stopped by Mike's bait in Oakland to get 1/4lb of grass shrimp and headed over around 9am. It was pretty dead the whole time. Not even a single bite... I was fishing a dropshot rig with grass shrimp or half a gulp camo sandworm the whole time. Nada. Not even a bite. Saw a few other guys out there fishing but didn't stay long enough to see any action. Was only there a couple of hours. I decided to call it quits and head back, but decided to try the Alameda Rockwall on the way back. Same story - no bites or anything. There was another dude fishing out there who caught a small rockfish and tossed it back. But otherwise, it was dead. This was all around low-tide, btw. Seems like there's really nothing on this side of the Bay during low tide. It sucked. As I was walking to the spot on the rockwall, I did see some nice-looking ghost-shrimp mounds underwater on the beach-side. Tons of them too. I wish I had my Xtratufs or waders and my ghost shrimp pump :) Pretty uneventful day though. I wish I hadn't gotten sick, else I'd probably be out scoping out other spots. It's too bad high-tide has been around 4-5am and 4-5pm as of late though. My experience with low-tide fishing has mostly sucked, and this was no exception.