Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 12/6 2nd time lobsta fishing, LB... the ups and downs

Default 12/6 2nd time lobsta fishing, LB... the ups and downs

Firday 4pm, i hit the road with a few buddies heading to LB harbor to try lobster hooping.

Half way there, some guy is honking at me and pointing. I looked at my side view mirror and see a ton of smoke so i pull over. I see that my radiator is leaking a ton of fluid and freak out. call the dealership and luckily they are still open so i drive real slow watching the guages and get there after an hour(10 miles).

Luckily the dealership got me a rental suv with a hitch(tahoe) so i moved it all over and saved the day and headed on my way to LB. Got to the marina around 7:45, prepped everything and got into the water by 8:30. Already missed the first crawl but hey, still making it. Got to the area i wanted to hoop, and started setting hoops. I looked at my gas gauge and totally forgot to gas up the boat. As we are hooping we ask some of the other boats if they have anything to spare, but no one does. We decide to keep it simple and hoop quick and watch the gas.

First set had nothing, but the second set brought up the first and biggest lobster we have ever caught. It was truly amazing as I've never caught one before and this guy came in around 10 pounds! I swear i was like a giddy school girl hooting and hollering at the first lobster I ever caught. We catch more lobsters throughout the night, a steady pick.... and since gas was low decided to do a final set. On the final pull, the boat runs out of gas. Two weeks prior, we met a boater who ran out of gas and I gave him my emergeny gas and forgot to refill it. So now we are screwed floating around. First thing, drop anchor. Called Sea Tow and they wanted $600 to bring us 2 gallons( too expensive), next called boat assist and they wanted $300. Damn still to high. So i decided just to wait and pray for a passer by. After an hour, i see a boat, and wave them down. They see me and drop their hoops and then head over. Luckily they had some gas and spared me a gallon.

I still have some pots out but we decide to motor back to the dock first and then get gas for the boat and head back out to grab the pots. I tried to start the main motor, but it wouldnt start as i dont think i had enough gas. So i fired up the kicker and putted back at 5mph, real slow.

Finally got everything done and headed home. Got home at 5am. A bittersweet night. Caught lobsters for the first time, but came with many bumps.

Looking forward to doing this much more!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lobsta1.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	42976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lobsta2.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	42977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lobsta3.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	42978

Damn, that looks delicious

Well done! NICE bugs!

Running out of gas is one of those mistakes you only make once. (been there, done that).

Man those were nice bugs,WTG,on the gas situation,if you use your skiff as often as it seems,it silly not to get vessel assist,ask your buddy's to chip in,but as you mention the price of help without it could cost several years of membership,and think of the responsibility of having others with you and their safety,trust it (the service) can't be beat,it's called peace of mind!

Cya TUNAVIC

Beautiful catch!!! Cant wait to catch my first!! :d