Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: good rod and reel setup

Default good rod and reel setup

i was wondering what a good rod and reel setup would be for throwing rattle traps or flukes, i mostly fish big swimbaits, so my simano calcutta 400D and custon swimbait rod wouldn't be the right application for smaller stuff. I ask on the duct forum just because i notice you guys use the kind of setup im looking to get. I live in victorville but i dont fish the duct here because there damn sure arent any striper in there! LOL. anyway ill be using this rig at silverwood for when the striper dont want the big baits.

7 foot rod with a 200 or 100 class baitcaster.

I prefer mh and light. Popping flukes for 8 hrs will wear you out.

On the other hand Trail blazer uses 8 ft ugly stick rods and the zebco spin cast reel. Forgot the number. He loves the 17 lb Berkeley big game setup for his flukes.

Sooo? Who knows, find what you like, but check into light weight and 7 ft first

For big rat l traps and cranks I use a 7 ft mh shimano crucial crankbait rod matched with an abu garcia revo sx...I love it. The soft tip on the crucial makes throwing 1oz baits a breeze all day and it also helps to not yank the trebles out the fish's mouth...

My fluke rod is a 7 ft st. Croix avid with a shimano curado. MH with a real fast tip...you want something you can feel with and a fast action to help pop that fluke...just my .02
    Last edited by ZipperWurm; 12-04-2013 at 09:34 PM.

I have almost the same setup that DK has, 8'6" Shimano Clarus medium, extra fast tip combined w/ a 300a Cardiff. Not all that lightweight but its the best setup I have ever used... I have had no problem tossing 1/4oz jig heads with flukes, and I think its rated up to 4oz baits, so you could still toss some bigger baits if you wanted...
    Last edited by HereFishy; 12-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.