Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Late late Report over CottonWood Pass to Lower Soldier Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Piss on Myspace View Post
    Seconded!!! Solos are great for the soul.
    Congrats KP on a great trip full of accomplishments...is that a fire pit in the "cup of joe" pic? Looks like it was an inferno haha

Thanks for taking us along
    Cheers!
    Yeah! It was already there when i set up camp. I wish i could have had a fire but the fire restrictions were in full effect. there is something about a fire...

<><

KP

Great job! Not everyone would do a trip like that solo. I went over New Army Pass to Upper Soldier, and then on to Sky Blue Lake a few years ago. Awesome area to play in! Great job on the Golden's and the summit!

*steals survey marker and makes a bunch of sinkers*

It's crazy how thin the air gets.. even at the lower elevations.

What pack did you use? I just was wondering as your had to make sure your bear canister fit. I just picked up a new Quest 80L pack so I would have room for that Bear Canister.

I have a REI Plash 50 backpack. So its only 50 liters, but i am trying to get into the ultralight category of back packing and bring only the bare essentials. however i did have all the essentials, (tent, sleeping bag/pad, stove, and water filter). I used a Garcia bear canister and my pack was stuffed, but it all fit. I think if you had an 80 liter you would be totally fine, but dont feel like you have to fill the whole thing.

i try to go ultralight so i can carry more fishing gear

<><

KP

in the above pic you can see i have a hydration/daypack in the back shovel pocket. something like this is essential after setting up camp and heading out on fishing missions.

<><

KP

Quote Originally Posted by oakboy View Post
    in the above pic you can see i have a hydration/daypack in the back shovel pocket. something like this is essential after setting up camp and heading out on fishing missions.

<><

KP

I'm also getting into the Ultrlight backpacking. The Quest 80L pack I think is like 3.5 pounds, while the new sleeping bag I got is at 1.5#. Over the summer I won an Alps Mountaineering tent, which was the Zypher 2 which is around 4 pounds. So my main 3 is right under 10#. I just wish a lot of th places around we could have fires, as that would even knock out the weight of the fuel canisters. My next big purchase of gear is one of the Tarp Tents, most likely a Six Moon Designs.

check out appy trails tents. similar to the tarp tent brand just cheaper.

KP

Quote Originally Posted by oakboy View Post
    check out appy trails tents. similar to the tarp tent brand just cheaper.

KP

Let me know if you ever go out around here or of you ever go back up there and your buddies bail again. Once spring hits we're doing quite a few hikes locally.

For sure!
    My buddies and i plan on doing a some day or 1 night hikes this winter up to some local peaks if you might be interested also. we did a few last year in the snow and it wasn't as bad as i thought, just takes longer. but if you know some good hikes locally with fishing that would be even better! I use to tell people "I only hike to fish."

<><

KP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12