Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more trout:(

Default No more trout:(

The hatchery is scheduled to run out of fish feb 1st and has no intention of getting any more. Long story short they have some big problems up there and the government dosen't have the 1,000,000 to fix it. So the last stocking we could be getting would be the second tuesday in January....If this is true i hope we will be able to get trout from some where else because if not then the stripers will have to resort to eating small children and ducks ....All the urban lakes in Phoenix get fed by hatcherys up in CO so i hope azdfg will work it out. For more details check the AC website...dont wanna post links to make the mods mad.

Christian.

Well not sure you heard the latest but it appears that the remainder of the trout they had at Willow that they thought would last till February were dumped in the river. They had a pump go out or something and dumped like 10k trout in. At least that's what I've read.

The really ridiculous part is that they just spent a boatload of money to upgrade all the facilities at Willow. Beautiful campground, new store etc... Well I really don't think they'll get their money's worth now, not that many people like to visit there in the summer, mostly fisherman, water's too damn cold, and in the winter it's mostly fisherman for sure.

What a waste now 2 hatchery's that fed Mead and Willow with trout probably will be closed (Mead's already is), oh wait they won't actually be closed they just will only be raising endangered sucker fish to feed the stripers. Reason they can raise suckers instead of trout is water temp issues, long boring story.
    Last edited by seal; 11-25-2013 at 08:24 AM.

yah, i was there this weekend. There was a ton of trout and that's what the locals said. The trout bite was pretty wide open. C&R over 20 in about an hour of fishing. Then got skunked looking for stripers.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    Then got skunked looking for stripers.
    They were overfed!

that and the weather too....

that and the weather too....
    Weather? I don't know about that, overcast rainy weather usually ='s striper weather, but if it's too chaotic that's another thing. I know it was rough out there being that they closed the road for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Well not sure you heard the latest but it appears that the remainder of the trout they had at Willow that they thought would last till February were dumped in the river. They had a pump go out or something and dumped like 10k trout in. At least that's what I've read.

The really ridiculous part is that they just spent a boatload of money to upgrade all the facilities at Willow. Beautiful campground, new store etc... Well I really don't think they'll get their money's worth now, not that many people like to visit there in the summer, mostly fisherman, water's too damn cold, and in the winter it's mostly fisherman for sure.

What a waste now 2 hatchery's that fed Mead and Willow with trout probably will be closed (Mead's already is), oh wait they won't actually be closed they just will only be raising endangered sucker fish to feed the stripers. Reason they can raise suckers instead of trout is water temp issues, long boring story.
    looks like im going to have to get all my swimbaits repainted .....

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Weather? I don't know about that, overcast rainy weather usually ='s striper weather, but if it's too chaotic that's another thing. I know it was rough out there being that they closed the road for a while.
    true, i have no idea why, but saturday and sunday, no one was catching any stripers... it was my first time there so i guess i came on a bad week...

true, i have no idea why, but saturday and sunday, no one was catching any stripers... it was my first time there so i guess i came on a bad week...
    No one catches stripers from shore at Willow. Ok wait there is that rare occasion someone stumbles on one but as a rule for us we always hit willow at night. We troll it all the time as well as drift with current and cast. We used to fish Willow all the time im talking twice a week. I live 20 min from there. In the last year Willow SUCKS!!!! The bite has been off and not just for me. I belong to a striper club here and out of prob 60 members only a handful even waste their time at Willow. Its terrible cuz I have personally seen 5 fish come out of there over 30lbs. Biggest a guy I know that belongs to striper club caught was 42lbs. He had it mounted. Personally I have got many fish in the hi teens there but nothing over 20. We don't even fish there anymore. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by vegas fish slayer View Post
    No one catches stripers from shore at Willow. Ok wait there is that rare occasion someone stumbles on one but as a rule for us we always hit willow at night. We troll it all the time as well as drift with current and cast. We used to fish Willow all the time im talking twice a week. I live 20 min from there. In the last year Willow SUCKS!!!! The bite has been off and not just for me. I belong to a striper club here and out of prob 60 members only a handful even waste their time at Willow. Its terrible cuz I have personally seen 5 fish come out of there over 30lbs. Biggest a guy I know that belongs to striper club caught was 42lbs. He had it mounted. Personally I have got many fish in the hi teens there but nothing over 20. We don't even fish there anymore. Just my opinion
    Do you have any guesses as to the reason? Too many fish kept? Sure miss the plants at Mead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast