Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Striperbowl 2013. 12/14/13

Special thanks to Steve Gallions and the owner of Tackle Express.

Big time donations to the raffle. Please thank them when you stop by. The raffle was probably the best to date!

Thanks again Ron for the footwork on that.

Thanks to the few individuals that went way above and beyond the 15 dollar limit on raffle donations. {you know who you are, we all recognized what you threw in} Proud to know you guys.

Thanks again to Devoreflyer for the birthday cake for Bob.

What a day of meeting so many great guys from FNN that were previously only clever names on a website. CB’s “light breeze” was a bit much for me since I’m not a big fan of windy fishing.

Started the day with 30 minutes of trolling and only got one hit that didn’t stick so I went right out to the dam and set up for a day of bait fishing. Ron was across from me and Cutbait was working the same area.

The wind was beating me up as I tried to get into position but I managed to get my first anchor in solid and it held all day. The second anchor was ok until around 1 when the wind shifted and I had to fight to keep the boat from banging on the rocks.

The entire time I was bait fishing there was a mass of fish on the finder swimming back and forth under the boat and a non-stop bite for hours. Unfortunately 90% of them were the micro-dinks and they were hungry. About every 6 fish I would get a 1 pounder and hoped the bigger ones would move in but it was Dinkbowl for me all day.

Late morning I hooked one big one and as I fought him to the boat, dreams of glory danced in my head but before I could remember what the “Biggest fish” trophy looked like I saw a huge brown head appear. Oh well, it was back to catching more dinks.

When the second anchor pulled out I had enough of bait fishing in the wind and put the trolling rigs back on. Tried trolling for the last 2 hours without a hit.

Couldn’t stay for the weigh-in and gathering but I got to meet and talk a really great group of nice FNN people in the parking lot.

A big thank you to TB, CB, and everyone else who helped to get everyone together.

What a great time!

I got to the group campground just as it was getting dark. I met fishin4runner and his son Cameron for the first time. DK and Andrew were there and a new (for me any way) Fresno guy Alex. TrailBazer stood head and shoulders over the group! Alex (fishbones) came a little later. I'm sure I've missed some people, it's not personal. I enjoyed the evening with all of you.

We had a great time telling fishing stories and anticipating Saturday's competition but the real entertainment for the night was watching Andrew eat one of TrailBlazers home grown ghost peppers. Andrew, you're trooper!

The next morning we met so many old and new friends in line. Since I've met this striper fishing group at these informal event's, standing around talking in the morning has become one of my favorite parts of fishing.

The first thing that I found out in the morning was that my fishfinder had crapped out. It didn't die completely, it functioned just enough to make me think that it might actually begin working at some point but it wasn't to be. So I fished blind. I'm kind of used to having a fishfinder. I kept looking at it even after I figured out that it was never going to work.

We watched for the illusive boils for just a little while but that wasn't to be either. Soon we set up on "MY POINT" and started catching dinks. Khan broke the skunk first and Alex joined him soon after. I had dreams of catching something a little larger but as it turned out I wound up getting even smaller ones. I kept one fish from that spot. It was maybe 1.1 pound. Khanh finally hooked into something with some weight to it. It turned out to be the winning catfish. We were all catching fish but we threw most of them back without a thought.

After a while we pulled up the anchors and went on the troll. While we were trolling we noticed a shore angler with two catfish on a stringer. They were double Ds probably closer to 12+ lb. We trolled for while then pulled the rigs in and headed for the dock to visit the trucks and get some things.

socalbassboy was at the dock throwing a swimbait. He had had some followers but wasn't on the board yet. We invited him to come along to join in on the wide open dinkfest and he accepted. While socalbassboy went and got his bait pole Khanh caught a couple trout on a spinner. The smaller one was bigger than the bass that we had been catching!

We trolled out the channel and hooked up one fish about halfway out. It was the biggest stiper caught on the boat for the day. Alex landed our only troll fish and got the boat on the striper board. We caught it on some flukes that TrailBalzer had given to me the night before. Thank you TrailBlazer!

We decided to take a chance on another spot for the evening bite and anchored up in yellow bar across from Karlow and Joe. We watched them catch some striper that were better than what we had seen caught on bait elsewhere but we only caught a few dinks. We stuck it out because we've caught some bigger models there on a slow bite before. In the end we just wanted to help socalbassboy beat the skunk. I think that he only had 2 decent pick ups. We had decided to leave, before he finally put one on the deck. It wasn't any different from what we had caught earlier but it was his skunk breaker. It was nice getting to know you better Boozond. I remembered how to say it. How do you spell it?

We had a great time at the awards ceremony!

Alex and I weighed Khanh's catfish in against his wishes! LOL It's a matter of team pride!

These events are just a lot of fun!

Thank you Bako Boys for all of your hard work and planning.
    Last edited by fishinone; 12-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Cutbait... I'll "Put up" with a day of fishing with you anytime buddy. You took me on your boat... We used your rigs n your bait. Yeah... It was really rough on me. I hope I have to put up with you again sometime.

Best part of the day was reeling in dinks while we hung out with Devore n HawgZ. It was nice meeting you two gentlemen. It's always nice spending time with good guys who share the same hunting and fishing interests that I do.

Thanks to Scott n Bob for coordinating the event. Was fun hearing some stories of your adventures while we stood around the fire. Thanks to the Pyramid staff and every one else who pitched in to make the day happen.

It was good being around this group again and meeting some FNNers I hadn't met yet.

Team Double Ocean... I'd like to spend some time on the water with you guys sometime. Looks like you guys have a blast every time out... which is no surprise because you guys are always fun to be around.

DK n Andrew... You were the first to offer to show me the ropes at the duct or take a trip to Oneill. It hasn't worked out yet but let's do it soon!

All in all... It was a great day. Tough fishing doesn't stop this group from having a great time.

THANK YOU MIKE AND SCOTT ,THEY MADE THIS HAPPEN ,THANK YOU D/F FOR THE B-DAY CAKE ,THANK YOU CORY FOR TAKING ME OUT ,AND THANK EVERYONE ENVOLVED, EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT AND WHO BRAVED THE WINTERY DAY ,ALL THE SPONSERS AND EVERYONE FROM THE LAKE ,ITS NOT ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE FISH OR THE SIZE OF THE LIMITS ,BUT THE SIZE OF THE LOVE FOR THE SPORT OF FISHING AND BEING WITH AND AROUND THE PEOPLE WHO SHARE THE LOVE OF IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Good the Bad and the Ugly at Striper Bowl.

First the bad and ugly:

I did the unthinkable and posted a weather report and was facing a year of shame and razzin’.

Woke up to howlin’ wind and near freezin’ temps at the “Redneck Riviera” as I prepped to leave and meet up with Hawgzwyld at the BassPro parking lot at 4:30am.

The howlin’ wind took off my hat while fillin’ up the Redneck Rocketship and sent it flyin’ down the road at the speed of light. After a chase I found it stuck in a bush off the road and retrieved it.

Arrived at the gate and found out I had to go back to the inspection station as I did not have a band and somehow missed the station in the early morning dark. The inspectors found a dribble of water in the live well that must have come out of the pumps on the long road haul. The well was bone dry before I left home. I had a towel on board and after I wiped the dribble up and they passed me through, thank you God as I now would have surely been razzed and shamed for a lifetime if I was sent home.

Trolled for nadda, zip, zero, nothing. Steered the Redneck Rocketship near/over some rocks and lost both Hawgzwyld’s new umbrella rig and mine, also spooled my reel. Hey I’m a Bass guy and we don’t troll well behind 200 hp motors.
    The damn weather report was right, windy and cold!!

We were on the path to a Mega Skunk until around 2:00pm.

Then the Good:

We managed to survive the weather despite all the cursing of it.

Were motioned over by Cutbait and Must Hunt and Fish to join them at the bait and wait spot they were on. Now the Redneck Rocketship does not carry an anchor big enough to hold, Bass guys don’t do bait and wait. Cutbait had us tie up alongside his boat and saved us from the skunk. After a couple of misses Hawgzwyld boated our first fish me shortly after. Then it was on and we quickly boated our limit although we have thrown larger swim baits for UGC that the dinks we caught. I would bet they would be a kick in the pants on ultralight gear.

While Trailblazer removed the razzin’ and shame from my weather report, much to my disappointment I was not allowed to become a Bako Boy. It seems that God gave men only so much Testosterone and I choose to use some of mine to grow hair and was disqualified from becoming a Bako Boy.

Mikes Ocean has the elixir of the God’s to ward off the night chill, great stuff Mike ya gotta post the name of it as I forgot it already. Did I say it was really good stuff.

Must Hunt and Fish great time spent with you and Cutbait catchin’ them dinks. The hunting trip stories are great and the Venison Sausage you gave me was spectacular this morning with eggs and country fried potatoes spectacular indeed.

Kahn it was my pleasure talking to you about your lures and fishing techniques with your lure. The 6” Trout of yours that I won is a work of art and a real beauty and I look forward to using it. In fact I am going to have to order a few other lures after looking at your web site, thank you again.

Met up with some really really great people at the weigh in and was able to finally put faces with names. Talked to some dedicated Striper guys and dedicated sportsmen. The fellowship and camaraderie that this group has for fishing and each other is amazing. I was honored to be able to participate with you and look forward to it again.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    WHEW!!! whatta day?? Biggest turn out yet!!!

Had a blast out there today. I can honestly say these are the most hard core fisherman I know! Great people. We battled some minor winds early on, tough troll bite for most, Big bass tourney, but boy it paid off! I imagine over a hundred lbs of stripers were caught today easy.

I personally enjoyed seeing everyone in line this morning and out on the water. Pointing out, there s Bassfan, there is TB, there is Hardcor.. Love seeing you guys and your boats!

Karlow does it again.. Heaviest stringer award

Permanent 2nd placer Disco Mike again falls in 2nd place

His partner Aaron 3rd.

Big fish winner is Disco Mike, followed once again by his partner Aaron.

Kitty contest was Khan

Second was bassfan

3rd Razr..

And for the real award, you know the one that takes real skill to pull off was smallest fish...

This years winner was well deserving, This years winner may be the most humblest member of the site. This years winner has the technique as well as the physique. As we all know true and specialized small game fisherman skills takes years of mastering the nuance of detecting the smallest of hits, but with this years winner it comes naturally.

I think as I speak for the whole group when I say that the skills of the 2013 Striper Bowl small fish winner are something everyone should achieve... With this all said, MEGA congrats to Cutbait for small fish!!!!!!! ....

Here are the numbers, keep in mind, a lot of proud striper fisherman that were present failed to weigh in fish, not because they didn't catch anything but they didn't want their name attached to the numbers!!!! You do the math on the "missing names"

Heaviest stringer

1. Karlow 16 lbs 11oz
    2. Disco Mike 13 lbs 5 oz
    3. Aaron 11 lbs 12 oz
    4. Andrew 10lbs 2 oz
    5. Musthuntandfish 9lbs 3 oz
    6 Joe 9lbs 2oz
    7 DK 8 lbs 3oz
    8. Fishnrunner 7 lbs 14 oz
    9. Devorflyer 7 lbs 7 oz
    10. Cathy {Razr better half} 7 lbs 2 oz
    11. Bassfan 6 lbs 1oz
    12 Double a 5 lbs 15 oz
    13 Mikesocean 5 lbs 15oz
    14 Hawgzwylde 5 lbs 6 oz
    15. NohoArt 5 lbs 2 oz
    16 Breeze71 {hiro} 4 lbs 7 oz
    17 Fishbones 4 lbs 3 oz
    18 Exfactor 4 lbs
    19 Freddy 3 lbs 13 oz
    20 Cameron {F4R son} 3 lbs 9 oz
    21 Hardcor 3 lbs 2 oz
    22 Razr himself 2 lbs 2 oz
    23 Cutbait 0 lbs 5 oz

Biggest fish

1. Disco Mike 5 lbs 15 oz
    2 AAron 4 lbs 12 oz
    3. Hiro 4 lbs 7 oz
    4. Exfactor 4lb

Biggest Catfish

1. Khan 9 lbs
    2. Bassfan 8lbs 6 oz
    3. Razr himself 6lbs 1 oz

Smallest fish

[winner by default]

1. Cutbait 0 lbs 5 oz

On a serious note fellas.... Thanks for making this a great event!

Thanks to Devore for the birthday cake for BOB

Thanks to Tammy and Mark and Pyramid staff for all they do

Thanks to Bob and Trail blazer for organizing

Thanks to Musthuntandfish for putting up with me all day

Thanks to everyone for showing up and toughing out the light wind this morning

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

If I forgot to thank someone, please step up and remind me or give a thank you out yourself for something I missed...

P.s. Scottie mention the JR. Striperfest at some point!!!

I thought 4lb. 6oz. was fourth but who cares LOL....
    On A Serious Note,
    This was a great event. Met some really great people and had a great time, both in line, at camp, and on the lake. The striper fisherman here are second to none and the lake staff was outstanding. I thank everyone for making me and my son feel welcomed. You all really went out of your way especially for my son he is ecstatic. (Special thanks to Hardcore for the Bad A_$-$ plugs, D/K for the use of one of his rigs and the B71, Trailblazer for securing the great camp and the firewood, Fishinone for the Striper and BACON and everyone else that made this event possible.) Looking forward to fishing with some of you and the next event.

Did anyone fish on Sunday?

If so how was it?

Default Hardcore posted a video of the awards.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223