Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: GoPro vs Contour

Default GoPro vs Contour

Everybody talks about GoPro, lots of advertisement is why it is so popular. This will be similar to iPhone vs Android debate. Met with a guy that uses a Contour and really likes it. The Contour design is much nicer, smaller,,sleeker, side mount, waterproof to 3' without the underwater case. After checking both I'm thinking of going with a Contour. I'm sure the GoPro crowd would say GoPro is better but not sure if that is 100% true ? Contour is also a Seattle based where it started.

Any input on these cameras ?
    Thanks, DR

Some reviews here. Read the comment section too.
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437972/co...ht-appreciated

Contour $149 on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=15782302-20

Contour is shaping up to be a big success
    http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...rier24xml.html
    Last edited by DockRat; 11-15-2013 at 06:52 PM.

From the reviews ect I've seen,my son happens to do GoPro reviews for them and YouTube I think GoPro is all over it,with the slow mo,and so many editing options it's hard to beat them,IMO.

Cya TUNAVIC

I used to have the ContourHD. I picked that over the GoPro for the design. I think its easier to mount without being bulky. I had it mounted on a buddys AR. If we had used a GoPro, it wouldve been in the way. The only bad thing about the ContourHD was the sound quality. It sounds a little muffled (hopefully they improved on it with the newer models). As for editing, I would imagine a good video editing software would be able to do what the GP software could do, and then some.
    Anyway, whichever you choose, have fun with it.

Thanks for the comments. Anyone else know anyone that has used a Contour ?

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Anyone else know anyone that has used a Contour ?
    DR,

I've owned the ContourHD for a bit, and ended up returning it for a GoPro (2nd generation).

Complaints about the ContourHD:

1. The interface is extremely quirky.
    2. You have no idea what you're shooting. I spent 2 fishing trips adjusting the camera because either i was filming my feet, or filming the sky.

Complains about the GoPro (2nd generation)

* This list is longer simply because I've used it a lot more than the ContourHD.

1. Interface is TERRIBLE. I understand there is very little you can do with a 20 by 20 pixel screen. And of course, you can always shell out some more money to buy an LCD screen that shows you what you're filming.
    2. The casing makes pushing the record button quite difficult. I can't count the # of times I pressed the button, only to find it didn't record.
    3. Glitchy video at times. There was a 10 minute video I made up in the Sierras where it looked like the screen decided to drop acid.
    4. TERRIBLE low lighting shooting. If the sun isn't up, don't even bother.
    5. Lens gets scratched rather easily. Outside casing gets scratched rather easily. You really need to baby it or else you'll be buying new lenses and cases for your camera.
    6. Camera is quite heavy, compared to other 'action cameras.' I'm hoping GoPro addressed this with their last releases. When wearing the head mount, it felt I had a 5 pound dumbbell affixed to my cap.
    7. Battery life meter isn't very precise. Nothing like starting off with 3 full bars and seeing 1 after a few minutes of filming, then 2 when I would turn the camera back on.
    8. When set to the wide angle, everything comes in out 'fishbowl' mode.

Hope it helps.

Thanks DS. Guess I'm going GP.
    Silver or Black ?

Check this guy....