Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Salton Sea Project

Default Salton Sea Project

Accord Reached to Restore Salton Sea

posted: 11/8/2013

By: Associated Press

EL CENTRO (AP) -- Imperial County leaders have hammered out a deal to restore the Salton Sea and raise $3 billion to revive the shoreline economy, driven by new alternative-energy development.

The accord announced Oct. 22, ends more than a decade of infighting between the county and the Imperial Irrigation District over the ongoing sale of water to the San Diego region, U-T San Diego reported.

The proposal calls for building of a transmission line to tie geothermal power production into the statewide grid, and convincing utilities to buy renewable geothermal power.

Officials said the geothermal development could be worth at least $3 billion over 30 years, to help pay for the Salton Sea’s revival.

The proposal also calls for the construction of a pipeline to bring desalinated water from the Sea of Cortez and imposing a surcharge on Hoover Dam power used by Southern California agencies to move water.

The new agreement does not change the terms of the ongoing water transfer agreement between Imperial County and the San Diego County Water Authority, signed in 2003.

Imperial County supervisors and Imperial Irrigation District directors formally signed the eight-page agreement Oct. 24 at Red Hill Marina, on the Salton Sea’s southeastern bank.

Both boards voted unanimously to accept the terms of the new pact after hearing a handful of comments from farmers and others. No one urged outright rejection of the agreement.

In the past, critics had complained that the Salton Sea has become an agricultural sump and is not worth the investment of billions of in federal, state and local tax dollars.

Saving the Salton Sea has been a vexing challenge for the state. At one point, the state outlined a $9 billion, 50-year plan that fizzled. Last year, the state gave $2 million to help fund ongoing studies.

Moreover, Imperial officials are facing the very real possibility of imposing tighter air quality regulations on business to comply with federal standards, according to U-T San Diego. Those regulations could increase costs and drive away some business, increasing unemployment even higher than the current 26 percent, they said.

Created in 1905, when floodwaters broke through a Colorado River irrigation canal, the 376-square-mile Salton Sea is bigger than Lake Tahoe -- but it is only 51 feet deep at its deepest spot and has no outlet to the ocean. Ninety percent of its water comes from agricultural runoff from the nearby Imperial, Coachella and Mexicali valleys.

The lake, which is 235 feet below sea level, is 50 percent saltier than the ocean, and salinity levels are expected to increase even more as it continues to shrink.

It is a popular recreational destination for boaters, bird watchers, campers and anglers.
    - See more at: http://www.thelog.com/Newsletter/Art....blQFmKtH.dpuf

Well that is good news! But, I thought there was already a 30 year project in place already to restore the sea. Wasn't the plan to create a salt bed that encompassed half the sea?

Alamo, New rivers & farm land pollutants dumped into the Salton Sea. Evaporation without new fresh water to provide low mineral water left after evaporation. The Salton Sea is like a evaporative cooler (swamp cooler/goat box). The water that is in the sea evaporates and leaves a high mineral content and the fish die. The fresh water evaporates and leaves the minerals in a concentrated state in the water left in the sea. Simple stuff to figure out and then the pollutants are dumped in that makes it worse.
    The Salton Sea will not be back like it was when I hunted ducks, caught tons of yellow mouth corvina and the other fish that were there then. I fished and hunted the Salton Sea from 1952 through 1990. Without millions of gallons of fresh water the sea will stay as it is. With some fresh water in the sea all you have to do is go down to the Gulf of California and catch and bring back some new yellow mouth corvina and dump them in the sea, and we will have fish again. I am 72 years old and bet this will never happen in my life time. I do hope that the so called leaders can fix this but I do not have much faith in any of our govenment.
    Bill

I wonder if there is any talk of restocking it.

What do you want for $3 billion?

Default More Bullsh*t

It's about thirty years too late to fix the Sea. They have wasted more than 3 million dollars over the years already with there feasability studies and such. Most of the old timers who fished the Sea are dead or moved on to other places myself included. We will never see any corvina again the size of the one that hangs in the Ski Inn in Bombay Beach and that's sad. The water transfers from the Imperial Valley to San Diego County were the nail in the Seas coffin. We can all thank State Rep. Duncan Hunter and his special interests for that. Dsrt Tortise
    Last edited by Dsrt Tortise; 01-19-2014 at 05:21 PM.

X2 It is over for the Salton Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsrt Tortise View Post
    It's about thirty years too late to fix the Sea. They have wasted more than 3 million dollars over the years already with there feasability studies and such. Most of the old timers who fished the Sea are dead or moved on to other places myself included. We will never see any corvina again the size of the one that hangs in the Ski Inn in Bombay Beach and that's sad. The water transfers from the Imperial Valley to San Diego County were the nail in the Seas coffin. We can all thank State Rep. Duncan Hunter and his special interests for that. Dsrt Tortise

I caught Tilapia by the bucket full and Corvina there as late as 1999. I can remember making 32 casts and caching 32 fish. On cast 33 the fish flipped off. Corvina, they would tear up fun baits like big spoons, spinner baits, etc. GAME OVER FOR NOW!!!!! iM GLAD i GOT TO GET IN ON THE TAIL END OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE FISHING ON THE PLANET.