Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: San Nicholas Island on the SeaBiscuit Channel Islands Sportfishing 11/10/13

Default San Nicholas Island on the SeaBiscuit Channel Islands Sportfishing 11/10/13

Lulu and I had a charter invite and it was completely cool that it coincided with our boat being in the shop for some improvements, repairs, and maintanence (including a rad new fish finder). We had a couple of friends that wanted to go too... They were very much beginners, but nice and interested.

Saturday night the weather was great and we got there early. Lulu insisted that I replace my old X-tra Tuff deck boots that had almost 20 years on them. I did a duct tape patch of some cracks and that was too much for her. So I picked them up at the landing.

The incoming boats did really well and the weather was really, really good, so I figured we would go there, but chartermaster wanted San Nick Island, which is 60 miles or so out. I was glad the weather was good as I wanted Lulu to avoid any sea sickness. We had the sea bands, ginger, bonine and the expensive eletrical thing that Capt'n recommended (which seems good, but you have to toss them when the battery runs out at 150 hours)

Lulu and I entered the JP and she joined the womens' side JP too. We made some squid at the rigs and I enjoyed watching Lulu build up her braverly to hold one as it tried to bite her with its wiggling arms...

We ran out and and the run rocked us like babies... soon enough it was first light at the anchor spot. I hit the deck quickly and within a few minutes was hanging a nice one that turned out to be a 30" ling cod (and the JackPot for the day). Lulu got into action as did our guests. I got a nice goat (sheephead) and then a rock cod.

One of the guys asked me to check on our friend and she had somehow reveresed the star drag on the Newell all the way backward and locked in down. I still can't figure out how or why (I gave them a seminar on the gear before). I thought I had the 4th failure of that particular Newell reel unitl I discovered the actual (human error) problem. I wrenched the drag back into the right location and then got back to it.

During the first move, we ordered breakfast and (of course) it came up as soon as it was fishing time. I took my food and coffee to the rail and it was calm enough to leave them there while fishing

The fishing was great, as was the weather... and the sacks got heavier.

Lulu caught her first lingcod, sheephead, whitefish, rock cods (many varieties) and our guest each caught a keeper ling. I had my ling limit (2) and one that was almost big enough to fill Lulu's limit (but it was sent back).

Lulu and I had easy limits of big rock fish (lots of reds, chuckleheads and a few nice bocaccios) and limits of sheephead and almost limits of ling and only a couple whitefish away from overall daily limits. I figured we had close to 150# of fish. Most of the Sheephead were 3 to 8 pounds.

I had one little moment where I had a nice goat on the deck and was helping Lulu swing a double of big fish over and I got a spine that poked my forearm. It was stinging like a bee for a bit as the goat slid through the scupper and then I couldn't get it back before it broke the 25# line while trying to pull it back. dang... but our friend pulled in a ling at the same time. He didn't celebrate out of concern for my double loss. However, this was not so bad as I was helping with a load of eager fishys...

We finally were close to boat limits and tried a few spots and continued to get them... Near the end, I pulled up a huge goat, maybe double digits and the gaff bounced off him and knocked him off the hook and free. I would have been much more disapointed if my ling had not still hung on for the JP (barely)... Lulu had a goat of over 8# that took the ladies JP.

It was a long run back and Lulu did great even through the cross swell and tried out here electrical device for a bit...

I got the fish gill/gutted to share the heads/carcass for friends' soups and for some whole fish for Lulu to steam and cook Chinese style. I also brought home 13# of whole squid for food and bait. Our haul filled an 80 quart cooler overflowing (no closing the lid). and our friends had to add a catch bag on top of the 45 quart cooler I brought for them. I was up until 2 pm by the time I got back, unloaded and put away our haul. Ling cod, large rockcod and white fish were filleted and heads saved for friends. Sheepshead and remaining rodcod were scaled... rockcod frozen as whole fish and most of the goats were steaked or halved for Lulu to steam (and butter) for lobster style. I bagged the squid up in 1# bags and froze all but one package. lulu cooked up some ling cod while I was cutting. we had vermillion rock cod with squid on Monday and bocaccion and beef ribs last night (with leftover bocc for lunch today).

Our friends thanked us and Peng said that it was the most fun he had since moving to the US from China in 1986. Lulu had a great time as did Wan. Monday when I returned from work the many, many heads and carcass were all gone to thrilled friends who are eating soup as I am writing this :)

The Seabiscuit is a nice boat and the captain finds fish. I am super happy...

I can't seem to post photos as I keep getting upload errors (undefined)... any ideas.

DMS thanks for the great report. I am glad you all caught lots of fish and had a great time. Calm seas even make it more fun and I wished I was there.

That's a great report Dan. You need pictures though. I don't know what's wrong wish I could help.

The most fun in 27 years! That's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    That's a great report Dan. You need pictures though. I don't know what's wrong wish I could help.

The most fun in 27 years! That's pretty good.
    I will have to keep trying on the photos. I used to use the tool and upload smaller versions, but I keep getting errors so I have not posted photos. Do you upload your photos to a service like photobucket and then link them in? That might be a better way...

I have to say I had a pretty darn great time too and Lulu winning the Ladies' JP on her first overnight ocean trip and her second ever partyboat trip is pretty amazing.

GREAT REPORT DAN..........................t/o...........

Dan,

Great report! Sounds like Lulu and you will be doing a 5 day soon....

The watch should last several years before the battery fails.

See you on the small pond soon,

Capt'n

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    I will have to keep trying on the photos. I used to use the tool and upload smaller versions, but I keep getting errors so I have not posted photos. Do you upload your photos to a service like photobucket and then link them in? That might be a better way...

I have to say I had a pretty darn great time too and Lulu winning the Ladies' JP on her first overnight ocean trip and her second ever partyboat trip is pretty amazing.
    Yes, I use photobucket and paste the text from the IMG button in my write up.
    Last edited by fishinone; 11-14-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelin

Thanks for the IMG button info fishinone...that fixed the pic posting problem for me too!

man ,great report ,felt like I was on board.tell her try the patch next time.enjoy your fish ,you guys deserve it.

awesome report dan... u got me hyped! I want to see the pics.... :D