Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Silverwood proposed and current changes

Default Silverwood proposed and current changes

Silverwood State park fall thru spring access has changed this year and more changes have been discussed. Cleghorn parking area has now been closed off for the "winter". This area no more than 3 years ago had alternating trout stockings between the Marina and Cleghorn providing a really good trout bite in the Cleghorn area and also providing the trout with more shelter from the stripers and LMB populations, IMO. Cleghorn now only seems to hold some trout but certainly not the population it had up until stocking location changes. The spawn up the Mohave was next to nothing last couple years, yes I know it was a low water year but still there was plenty of water. Also even the big striper hunters benefited from fish being in different locations as opposed to most big fish action now occurring at the Marina area oh and that means all the big stripers and LMB's know where the feeding is going to happen, trout holdover population in all areas that I check has been very low now for the corresponding years, coincidence????

Now there is a discussion at the lake to limit parking access to only the Marina area. Black Oak, lot's 1, 2, and 3 will all be closed off. Now I have no real problem with this I love a good hike and will find the fish but I believe they use this data and will further limit access possibly having a winter time closer and hell what good are trout plants anymore, nobody is there to provide the take data necessary to allocate the trout planting right?????

The plants only going in at the Marina means very limited shoreline access to many that can't make the hike. Also the best place to target them in the Marina area is the swim beach, well last week there was a ranger informing anglers there was no fishing allowed at the swim beach.

So just like the MLPA deal the more access is limited the more data they have against us having access, hey the revenue is dropping so no reason to up the budget, layoff's occur etc... etc.... etc...

Please if you agree voice you're displeasure at the lake, be nice I like most everybody there!

2. Default

Would that prevent us from hiking down from the road near the west shore?

Not happy to hear about closures at any lake, regardless

There is no problem with hiking in, that's what I do a bunch of in the winter anyhow. It's just a slippery slope to me. Also concerned that if the other areas are not maintained or patrolled as much that invites poaching and other activities, also no bathroom facilities in case of emergency, lol.

I just don't get it but it seems not too many are concerned so no big deal.

Biggest bummer for me is that there is almost no chance of them starting to plant Cleghorn again, that was a much better system switching plants back and forth from the Marina to there. There is also talk of a big time draw down way more than has occurred for many years this winter, it's possible that the draw down is driving the thought process of closing those parking areas, I haven't had the chance to talk to anybody about it, if so and if this is only a single year occurrence then I guess no big deal.

That's definitely not good. Add that to drought conditions and the DFW stocking triploid trout which cannot reproduce... really not good. This is not only bad news for the trout, but stripers and bass as well. Stripers and bass will not be eating well with reduced trout populations.

This is Bunch of Crap. It cost almost Nothing to keep the other parking areas open and Most Maintenance people at lakes are lazy anyway....they should be forced to Work like in the private sector
    TJust another instance where the parks are saying Screw you Disabled people....Even more Limits on Shoreline access for the Disabled ..... if you can't hike in Too Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Silverwood State park fall thru spring access has changed this year and more changes have been discussed. Cleghorn parking area has now been closed off for the "winter". This area no more than 3 years ago had alternating trout stockings between the Marina and Cleghorn providing a really good trout bite in the Cleghorn area and also providing the trout with more shelter from the stripers and LMB populations, IMO. Cleghorn now only seems to hold some trout but certainly not the population it had up until stocking location changes. The spawn up the Mohave was next to nothing last couple years, yes I know it was a low water year but still there was plenty of water. Also even the big striper hunters benefited from fish being in different locations as opposed to most big fish action now occurring at the Marina area oh and that means all the big stripers and LMB's know where the feeding is going to happen, trout holdover population in all areas that I check has been very low now for the corresponding years, coincidence????

Now there is a discussion at the lake to limit parking access to only the Marina area. Black Oak, lot's 1, 2, and 3 will all be closed off. Now I have no real problem with this I love a good hike and will find the fish but I believe they use this data and will further limit access possibly having a winter time closer and hell what good are trout plants anymore, nobody is there to provide the take data necessary to allocate the trout planting right?????

The plants only going in at the Marina means very limited shoreline access to many that can't make the hike. Also the best place to target them in the Marina area is the swim beach, well last week there was a ranger informing anglers there was no fishing allowed at the swim beach.

So just like the MLPA deal the more access is limited the more data they have against us having access, hey the revenue is dropping so no reason to up the budget, layoff's occur etc... etc.... etc...

Please if you agree voice you're displeasure at the lake, be nice I like most everybody there!

Quote Originally Posted by FSHNLIC View Post
    That's definitely not good. Add that to drought conditions and the DFW stocking triploid trout which cannot reproduce... really not good. This is not only bad news for the trout, but stripers and bass as well. Stripers and bass will not be eating well with reduced trout populations.
    I don't know about trout populations, don't want to go there you get called a crybaby, lol. But really I have heard of no changes in the trout planting numbers actually this year has been very good so far. I only maintain that the holdover trout have definitely been affected by the lack of planting diversity, them stripers and LMB's know just where they are going to be planted. I am a striper chaser but use to enjoy the fact that more than one area was hot for the trout chasing stripers, now everybody packs into one area chasing them.

I don't know about trout populations, don't want to go there you get called a crybaby, lol. But really I have heard of no changes in the trout planting numbers actually this year has been very good so far. I only maintain that the holdover trout have definitely been affected by the lack of planting diversity, them stripers and LMB's know just where they are going to be planted. I am a striper chaser but use to enjoy the fact that more than one area was hot for the trout chasing stripers, now everybody packs into one area chasing them.
    I spoke with the the DFG guy planting trout at lake Perris Yesterday. iw as there when they dumped the trout. I had a nice conversation about the small dump compared to previous years.
    he agreed. He said do to the Triploid rule they ran out of normal trout last year in the spring. So Perris did not get any fish during the spring except for one time this last May.
    They do not have enough fish this year to last all season so the planting is reduced to spread the fish around.
    he said by next season..fall 2014 they will have caught up with the numbers and be in full production.
    he did say the triploids grow faster so even more numbers of plantable fish may be available come 2015
    Now this is from the guy planting the fish who works in the Mojave hatchery..and lives there also part time
    So less fish this year but back on track fall 2014 so maybe for 2015 there will be MORE striper food at silverwood ?

There is also talk of a big time draw down way more than has occurred for many years this winter, it's possible that the draw down is driving the thought process of closing those parking areas, I haven't had the chance to talk to anybody about it, if so and if this is only a single year occurrence then I guess no big deal.
    November and December are usually maintenance months because of low water demand. I can tell you for certainty that end of November or early December, the duct will be shut down for a few weeks on the east branch. No water to the wood and if they send water from the wood down stream then that will of course draw it down. Time for you to go find some snagged swimbaits that will be exposed

Quote Originally Posted by Master Baiter1 View Post
    November and December are usually maintenance months because of low water demand. I can tell you for certainty that end of November or early December, the duct will be shut down for a few weeks on the east branch. No water to the wood and if they send water from the wood down stream then that will of course draw it down. Time for you to go find some snagged swimbaits that will be exposed
    Damn it MB1 keep it quiet! I was going to go out there as soon as the draw down happened and score me some slide swimmers and sell um for $200.00 a piece. Now I'm going to have competition!

Seriously I'm hearing 45' draw down, that's going to be pretty interesting to see the lake that low and see how the fish react to it. Wondering if they will suspend plants and maybe have problems with boat launching at that level.