Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Anchoring at Irvine Lake?

Default Anchoring at Irvine Lake?

Does anyone anchor up when they tube Irvine Lake or just drift around? I know it can get windy out there so I imagine it would be a real pain to anchor up. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a tuber but I think most kick around out there. Maybe PM Hometown here on FNN and ask him about small anchors. He knows a spot online to get a lightweight anchor that's perfect for a small craft like a tube.

Come hang out with us in a few weeks at the Vine for the BB Custom & Team 57 event called "Trout"sgiving! For more details and to sign-up visit the "Fishing Rendezvous" section here on FNN. Hope to see you there!

TS

Get one of these at West Marine in Tustin. Weighs about 1.5 lbs and runs about $12. Also have a 3 lb model.. Works great at Perris in the wind, just have to let out lots of line.

in my opinion i have never tried anchoring, always drifting around and that has always worked for me. Tubing is pretty fun and i dont think it would be fun to add extra weight to a small tube and have to drag that around. just my opinion. and i think the fish like a moving bait rather than a still one. hope this helps.

I never anchor, unless I'm on a school of fish and a strong breeze kicks up. And my bait is never sitting still, I keep it moving.

Anchor? Never have it takes such little kick effort to stay near in place, if the wind is that bad you probably don't want to be in a tube out there anyway.

I've seen kayakers drop a chain to drag along the bottom to slow down the drifting. I've also seen the parachutes that drag in the back of the kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliyak View Post
    I've seen kayakers drop a chain to drag along the bottom to slow down the drifting. I've also seen the parachutes that drag in the back of the kayak.
    Kayak is a completely different situation than a tube, you have no method other than paddles to stay in position. Even the mirage drive takes you in one direction in a tube it is so easy to spin around and stay in a given position. Love kayak fishing but it's a totally different animal!

I would say go for it. The anchor in the photo is only approx 1.5-3 lbs depending on size and folds up small enough to easily fit in one of your side pockets. I fished Irvine Lake Tuesday 11/5/13 when they were calling for 30-60 mph gusts of wind and although it never got that bad I would have welcomed an anchor to slow or stop my drift that day. I kicked my butt off for 3.5 hrs to stay on the spot and was rewarded with a limit to 3 lbs in less than 3 hrs.

Last year while fishing LNL I noticed ALL the fly fishermen anchor their tubes around the aerator in the middle of the lake to Midge fish with indicators. The aerators create a current and these guys just sits there no problem. They have floats with clips on their anchor ropes and can unclip move around and then return to their orignial anchor spot. Pretty cool actually!

I think I will start carrying my anchor during windy conditions.

LBSea
    Last edited by LBSea; 11-07-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5AUGHT View Post
    Does anyone anchor up when they tube Irvine Lake or just drift around? I know it can get windy out there so I imagine it would be a real pain to anchor up. Thanks in advance.
    IMHO when the wind is blowing at irvine you dont want to be on the water in a tube. Ive been in some pretty uncomfortable situations there.