Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 20+ Brownie at Grant-Rush

Musky Man's location info says "Illinois", he may be fishing Lake Michigan or another of the Great Lakes. No trout of any type from any water out-classed the steelhead I caught from the Pere Marquette River in October '87 a couple miles upstream from the Lake. The lakers I caught in NWT in June 2010 got close--and there were more of them--but the Great Lakes can kick out some huge trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
    Musky man, take me fishing please. Where exactly is out by you? I'm not talking trash or anything I like fishing giant Browns. Are you by Lake Tahoe? Because I have heard a few stories……..
    Quote Originally Posted by flytyingreloader View Post
    Musky Man's location info says "Illinois", he may be fishing Lake Michigan or another of the Great Lakes. No trout of any type from any water out-classed the steelhead I caught from the Pere Marquette River in October '87 a couple miles upstream from the Lake. The lakers I caught in NWT in June 2010 got close--and there were more of them--but the Great Lakes can kick out some huge trout.

Yep! Back east is the place to be for giant browns! look up videos of eric haataja. He get's some beasts back there!

I would suggest that the South is often over looked for Trout records. Arkansas is one state that is killer for Brown Trout.

World Record Trout in Arkansas
    When it comes to fish, Arkansas is most famous beyond its borders for the outstanding trout fisheries that have been developed over the last five decades by the AG&FC with help from two federal trout hatcheries. The popularity of Arkansas fishing has grown in recent years due in part to a number of world record trout catches. Most notable are the world record brown trout and state record rainbow trout catches that have occurred in Arkansas's lakes and streams.

Arkansas Trout Fishing
    Prior to 1950, Arkansas trout fishing was basically limited to the state's only major cold-water stream, the Spring River. The Spring begins as the 58-degree, 9-million-gallons-an-hour flow of Mammoth Spring, which is located in Arkansas at the Missouri state line. Rainbow trout were first stocked on the Spring around the turn of the century.
    With the completion of Norfork Dam on the North Fork of the White River in 1944 and Bull Shoals Dam on the White River in 1951, the groundwork was laid for major expansions of the state's trout fisheries.
    Faced with the devastation of significant stretches of habitat for warm-water fish species, the AG&FC decided to introduce trout into the combined 97 miles of oxygen-rich, cold-water races below the dams. Cooperating with federal officials, they placed 39,216 rainbow trout into the streams in 1951.
    Stocking efforts received a boost in 1957 when, as mitigation for the loss of warm-water habitat, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service opened the Norfork National Fish Hatchery near Norfork.

State Record Rainbow Trout
    Rainbows from the hatchery grew phenomenally well in the White and North Fork and soon the two streams were among the country's finest destinations for trophy trout. Catches of 5-to-7-pound rainbows were common and the state record rainbow trout (19 pounds, 1 ounce) was caught in 1981 by Jim Miller of Memphis on the White River.
    In the past two decades, increased fishing pressure on the White and North Fork has mostly limited catches of trophy rainbows to catch-and-release areas (though overall catch rates remain among the nation's highest).
    That is true in part because natural reproduction of rainbows in Arkansas streams accounts for less than one percent of the state's annual rainbow population.

American-Record Brown Trout
    Such is not the case, however, with brown trout. Browns were stocked early in the AG&FC stocking program but were discontinued in the 1960s and 1970s. While the White produced North American-record brown trout in 1972 (31.5 pounds) and again in 1977 (33.5 pounds), another development was being noted.
    By the late 1970s, it was clear that, with only a jump start from AG&FC, the brown trout had succeeded in developing its own wild population. Brown trout too small to have been among those released earlier were showing up on stringers.

World Record Brown Trout
    Arkansas tailwaters now contain a significant number of browns exceeding 30 pounds and fish in the five-to-10-pound range are common. The world record for a brown trout (40 pounds, 4 ounces) was set in May 1992 on the Little Red River, 29 miles of which had become suitable trout habitat with the completion of the Greers Ferry Dam in the early 1960s. This record stood until it was surpassed in 2009.

Trout Hatchery
    As mitigation for the dam's impact on the Little Red, the Greers Ferry National Fish Hatchery opened in 1965. In 1985, the AG&FC came into possession of its own trout hatchery, a donation from the Kroger Co. of Cincinnati. The Spring River State Fish Hatchery enables the AG&FC to raise its own trout year-round and has increased opportunities for widening species diversity in Arkansas's trout waters.

Cutthroat Trout
    In 1983, the AG&FC made an initial release of cutthroat trout on the White and North Fork and the new species adapted well. The current state record (9 pounds, 9 ounces) was caught on the White in October, 1985. Regular stockings of cutthroat were begun early this decade and today cutthroats in the 2-to-3-pound range are common.

Brook Trout
    After a test stocking of brook trout in the 1980s, the AG&FC began stocking them in the Spring River and three tailwater sites in 1995. Studies show that brookies in the North Fork can reach 19 inches and three pounds in only two years, while in their native ranges they seldom exceed one pound.

Trout Rivers: Little Red River (Greers Ferry Tailwater), White River (Bull Shoals Tailwater), White River (Beaver Tailwater), Spring River, North Fork River (Norfork Tailwater), Ouachita and Little Missouri Rivers.

Great post Devoreflyer! I've had a couple of buddies fish the White River in Arkansas and they had great results. I've always wanted to fish in Montana but now I'm torn..

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    Great post Devoreflyer! I've had a couple of buddies fish the White River in Arkansas and they had great results. I've always wanted to fish in Montana but now I'm torn..
    Milwaukee Harbor!

Yup I am located in chicago, 1/2 hr from lake michigan. And ya Eric Haataja is the man. That dude is one really good stick. Lake Michigan has spoiled me. You take So Calif techniques and tweek your tackle and you will be amazed how easy it is to catch fish on the big lake. The only thing that can suck is the wind. Lake Michigan can also become your grave site if your not too careful. With that being said, I have had many a trips cancelled due to a slight change in the wind. Otherwise if any of you ever have the chance, hire Eric..... it will be well worth the trip. Or just head out my way in the spring.
    To put things in perspective, my first day on lake michigan back in 2006 when I moved back here, I landed several browns in the 7-10lb class within 10 minutes of trolling out out of the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    My Grandson is attending the University of Arkansas (third year) and I plan on a trip to visit him again and find a little time to fish on the side. Lake Norfork is a killer for Trout, Striper and a host of other fish, 500+ miles of shoreline to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    Yup I am located in chicago, 1/2 hr from lake michigan. And ya Eric Haataja is the man. That dude is one really good stick. Lake Michigan has spoiled me. You take So Calif techniques and tweek your tackle and you will be amazed how easy it is to catch fish on the big lake. The only thing that can suck is the wind. Lake Michigan can also become your grave site if your not too careful. With that being said, I have had many a trips cancelled due to a slight change in the wind. Otherwise if any of you ever have the chance, hire Eric..... it will be well worth the trip. Or just head out my way in the spring.
    To put things in perspective, my first day on lake michigan back in 2006 when I moved back here, I landed several browns in the 7-10lb class within 10 minutes of trolling out out of the harbor.
    hahahahaha, small world... Im actually out here in Milwaukee now and have known of Eric for a few years now. Ive seen his videos and a tv show with Mr. Haataja slaying colosal brown trout. Unfortunately he is unavailable for a charter on Wednesday, however he did refer me to his buddy and fellow captain Joe Schmidt. Long story short, heading out Wednesday with Joe in search of the giants. HOPEFULLY i'll get that 10+ i've been searching for, with maybe a "REEL" 20+ thrown in the mix.

...and yes, Arkasnas is a great brown fishery. Fished the white river a few years back and got a few 6+. Report was posted in the out of state section. Great post DFLYER

NEVER call the "W" by its first name... Its a fishermans kryptonite.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234