Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trout Season 101

Yeah Scott, your my FN Super Hero now. :wink:

Dude, you Rock.

Thanks for the post bro.

TM65

good job on the tips and tricks

wow!

very nice! :D '

johnsfishing

What's that big wide thing at the rear end of the fish in the first picture.

One_Leg

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg
    What's that big wide thing at the rear end of the fish in the first picture.

One_Leg
    They used to call that a "tail" round these parts, although they are a thing of the past really. One can still catch a glimpse of the fabled "tail" if one looks north on the 395, or ventures into the dark unknown of a place the locals call "big bear".

I wish you Godspeed if you decide to undertake the call of the "tail", for you will not find it here in the valley.

Hey looks, its SKYFAULK!! LOL Good Info Dude for the newbies.. It's time to put a hurt on the Trout again....I got so sick of cleaning trout this past season.... OH WHAT A DREAM... LOL

B/C

Default Re: Trout Season 101

Nice post...very informative, though I am aware of most of this, I tip my hat, this is great for the novice...Salute.
    One thing I have yet to learn: is boning a trout (come on fellas...no pun here !)

Basically the butterfly technique that you may see in a fish market etc. where the whole skeleton is removed from the trout b4 cooking.
    Now this is something I am looking to perfect.
    Anyone have any info on this particularly a step by step ?

Again, good info above...Salute :appl:
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary
    Nice post...very informative, though I am aware of most of this, I tip my hat, this is great for the novice...Salute.
    One thing I have yet to learn: is boning a trout (come on fellas...no pun here !)

Basically the butterfly technique that you may see in a fish market etc. where the whole skeleton is removed from the trout b4 cooking.

Gary
    I butterfly the large models from time to time (5lb+), as it makes them easier to cook thoroughly and you can do different things with them (e.g. gratinois style with challots & white wine). We posted quite a bit about this the last two seasons. My computer crapped out 2 months ago, so most of my cherished obscure fishing bookmarks are long gone, but if you look hard enough on Google you will find a few step by step videos.

It really isn't hard so much as it takes time and some pliers. I DO NOT recommend that Big 5 de-boning device. I tried it a couple times at a cleaning station (this stranger had it there). Doesn't work all that well with fish that have rigor mortis. It tends to tear flesh more than anything else, and makes a mess. Doesn't work on the big fish either.

I would think butterflying a big striper would be something novel (well, to us Westcoasters). I would think leaving the skin on (scaled of course) would keep the meat moist especially if you are putting it on the barbecue.

Just my 2 cents.

Excellent write-up! Thanks for the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansou
    Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary

Gary
    I butterfly the large models from time to time (5lb+), as it makes them easier to cook thoroughly and you can do different things with them (e.g. gratinois style with challots & white wine). We posted quite a bit about this the last two seasons. My computer crapped out 2 months ago, so most of my cherished obscure fishing bookmarks are long gone, but if you look hard enough on Google you will find a few step by step videos.

It really isn't hard so much as it takes time and some pliers. I DO NOT recommend that Big 5 de-boning device. I tried it a couple times at a cleaning station (this stranger had it there). Doesn't work all that well with fish that have rigor mortis. It tends to tear flesh more than anything else, and makes a mess. Doesn't work on the big fish either.

I would think butterflying a big striper would be something novel (well, to us Westcoasters). I would think leaving the skin on (scaled of course) would keep the meat moist especially if you are putting it on the barbecue.

Just my 2 cents.
    Beleive it or not I am interested in this tequnique for pansizer trout...the larger trout I fillet but 1 to 2 lbders I'd like to de-bone...I look into it..
    Thanks for the info...

P.S.
    I fillet most other fish that don't have an odd bone structure like the trout

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast