Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Daddy I think it's a big perch..."

Default "Daddy I think it's a big perch..."

This afternoon a whole bunch of family - uncles, aunt, grandparents and cousins - wanted to get together. One of the uncles has a new paddle board he wanted to try out. So it's decided that we'd meet down by the beach. I throw some poles and stuff into my car (you never know, right?) and head down to the meeting place with my youngest, Alexa. Mom is coming down later with the older one.

We get to the meeting place ahead of most of the others so we decide to sneak down to the water with our poles to see what is going on out there. I set Alexa up for perch and make sure she's in a safe area (she's on the side of the jetty where the wave actions is super mild). I then begin making my way out on the jetty the whole time my eye is on Alexa. I'm hoping to sling the LC into the eddy. Nice try. I'm barely 1/3 of the way out when I hear, "Dad I got one. I need some help." I should have known better. Back I come, take the perch off the hook and get her back in the water.

Now I am right next to her throwing my LC and helping her with her fish. She catches several more perch. Then I hear the familiar again, "Dad got another one", then "Daddy, I think it's a big perch", then Daddy, it's not a perch...Daddy I got a halibut!" Yes she did. Her first.

I quickly grabbed the camera and snapped a picture (had to hold the guy's tail cuz he was spinning). All the time Alexa is telling me "hurry daddy hurry". So I quickly remove the hook and gently place him back in the water. It's extremely important to Alexa that fish she catches (or her sister or I catch) get quickly and safely back in the water.

Alexa's first hallie

After her perches and the halibut she's done fishing. So after maybe 45 minutes of fishing time we leave and go to see where the rest of the family is. Nope, I didn't have any luck on the LC today. But I did get another great memory of my daughter and me having fun in the surf.

Nick

Very nice!

that is super awesome, my son is the same way gotta put them back right after we get them. that way "the fishes can keep making fish babies" or if i catch it its " imgonna get that one you just got watch!!" lol love my son.

Nick, what a great report! I love the fact that so many more reports including children are being posted! It gives the sport hope that the next gen will be plentiful in those who "get it." Seriously, it is very nice to know who I will be sharing the sand with as an old man--responsible and skilled anglers.

Alexa, wow! I don't think I have read a report about someone your age catching a halibut from the surf yet! Congrats! A bigger "perch" awaits you in the near future young lady!

Skunked4life, aka corporal croaker, aka ken

Nothing like the excitement watching your kid bring in a fish.
    Congats to her and her first hali. I know you are just as stocked as her beaceuse now she will wanna get back out asap.

Great photos, great times, and great memories, that what it's all about!!!! That's the shot of a lifetime.

Great! Nice report and pic,that's one happy angler.

Cya TUNAVIC

Wtg on her 1st Hali!! That's one more than me!

I'm sure she'll remember that one forever!

That's Awsome! Nice fish Alexa! Good job Anchor3n1!
    Thanks 4 share'n,
    Homefish

Now that is a great report! I love reading "proud papa" moments. Just watching kids catching perch makes for a great day but when they tie into a bonus fish like that, you can't help but smile ear-to-ear.

Congratulations to you and Alexa on a great memory to share!
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast