Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby scorpions and other arachnids for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Makes me wonder whether the Brown Recluse will ever establish a population in California.

-b
    extremely unlikely. Loxoceles reclusa requires a warm humid climate, only found in the southeast gulf states.

The only recluse species found in california is Loxoceles deserta, which is the only likely species, however because of the improper climate they also fail to establish, as well.

aberrant individuals, like the chilean recluse, which hitch-hike in produce, DO pop up from now and then, however because of the improper climate, they never establish.

Add to that, the pholcid spiders, which thrive indoors, and specialize in eating spiders that wander, and the possibility diminishes even more. Many spiders look extremely similar to loxoceles, and many "recluse" bites end up actually being MRSA infection, which resembles a spider bite, and can become necrotic. But when a chilean recluse shows up in produce from chile, expect the corporate media to jump at the chance to fear-monger.

Photobucket sucks. gotta re-host most of my images, now..

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    extremely unlikely. Loxoceles reclusa requires a warm humid climate, only found in the southeast gulf states.

The only recluse species found in california is Loxoceles deserta, which is the only likely species, however because of the improper climate they also fail to establish, as well.

aberrant individuals, like the chilean recluse, which hitch-hike in produce, DO pop up from now and then, however because of the improper climate, they never establish.

Add to that, the pholcid spiders, which thrive indoors, and specialize in eating spiders that wander, and the possibility diminishes even more. Many spiders look extremely similar to loxoceles, and many "recluse" bites end up actually being MRSA infection, which resembles a spider bite, and can become necrotic. But when a chilean recluse shows up in produce from chile, expect the corporate media to jump at the chance to fear-monger.

Photobucket sucks. gotta re-host most of my images, now..
    Thanks for the info!! Even as a child I've always been a big fan of spiders as I've had many pet black widows and even a few tarantulas.

Have you ever owned a Goliath bird eating tarantula?

Sorry for slightly high jacking but this is the coolest thread I've seen in a while!!
    Last edited by jicasiano; 10-15-2013 at 09:36 AM.

No problemo. I'm all for an Auto-bump

NEW Eremobates! "wind-scorpions/camel-spiders" $6.00 each

Voracious killing machines. DO NOT OVERFEED. These have a short lifespan, However, you can put them into diapause, which is the arthropod-equivalent of hibernation.

They require a sand/silt/clay mixture (50%sand, 40%silt, and 10% clay is perfect.) Mix it up thoroughly with water (not too much, just enough to make the substrate slightly-moist), then tamp it down firmly. These can climb smooth surfaces, thanks to the suctoral organs at the tip of their pedipalps. So dont keep them in an open container. They appreciate good ventilation. The containers they come with are complete with substrate. place a small bottlecap full of water in the container, so they can drink occasionally. Despite that, they seem to get most of their water from their food, and like dry conditions.
    Last edited by smokehound; 10-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Dude, in my line of work I must say I am truly just enjoying this thread!

Ditto, cool subject and great pics.

My big female Schizocosa mccooki enjoying a cricket.. While they aren't the monster that S. maxima are, they still reach a decent size.

$6.00 ea.

If you're in Orange county, I can deliver. If not, or you're too far, a half-way point meeting is just fine. All previous arachnids are still available.

PM me, or email me at smokehound42086@gmail.com if you're interested.

Solifugids are eating well.. $6.00 ea

smokehound42086@gmail.com
    Last edited by smokehound; 10-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

$10 bucks for a black widow? Hell I think I've got enough around Hesperia to retire! Brown's not so much. Are the brown's not as inclined to be in the desert or have they yet to spread up the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    $10 bucks for a black widow?
    Are they good with kids?

Smokehound,

Do you know of a place in LA that sells exotic tarantulas?

I've narrowed down my choices to a few, but the only places I've been able to find them is online, and I don't know how well they'd fare during transport.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast