Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset striper

Default Sunset striper

What's up fellas? I'm back in town for a few days before I head back to Colorado, so I needed to get my duct fix in. Headed out west for an early evening session, and was shocked to see how low the water level was at one of my fave spots.

A water dept guy drove up shortly after I got there, and he explained that they were doing some work a bit east from the spot and that's why the level was so low. Personally, I've never seen the level that low but had a feeling it would work to my advantage by crowding the fish. About three casts later, I slayed this mighty LMB!

I thought to myself, "Great, this is what I get to come back to?". About 15 minutes later, big strike hits and drag starts peeling! God, I love that feeling! Hooked into this 2 footer. Weighed a solid 6-7 pounds.

I've been catching some LMB's in Colorado, but it's nothing like slaying a striper as you all know. They've got Wipers (striper/white bass hybrid) out there, but I've yet to catch one. Locals there are telling me they fight stronger due to their hybrid genes and all. I'll keep you boys updated if I manage to hunt one down. Flying back on Monday. Happy fall fishing to all of you!

WTG Risso. Further west, water level is normal.

I too was a little shocked when I hit that spot today.

You picked the right time of day,,, this morning the wind made it just about unfishable.

Nice fish.
    Last edited by Double A; 10-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    WTG Risso. Further west, water level is normal.

I too was a little shocked when I hit that spot today.

You picked the right time of day,,, this morning the wind made it just about unfishable.

Nice fish.
    Thanks A Dub! The wind picked up something nasty shortly after catching that fish. I think God gave me a window.

Risso always on it! Nice catch... I love it when the water is really low like that... caught my pb in those conditions...

Welcome back...cant forget duct!!!! Lol...

WTG Risso! I knew you had been out there- you left tracks lol. Nice fish- I got one a little further west on top water- it was a dink however. I have seen a bunch of those little bass lately. The stripers have been blowing up on the baitfish around the siphons and along the sides in the mornings. With the weather in transition right now the winds are getting crazy especially up on the big siphons like munz, johnson, and the "burn" area siphon.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker189 View Post
    The stripers have been blowing up on the baitfish around the siphons and along the sides in the mornings.
    I was hoping to find something in the stomach of that fish, but nada. Have you been having any luck on LC's?

Quote Originally Posted by Risso View Post
    I was hoping to find something in the stomach of that fish, but nada. Have you been having any luck on LC's?
    Not in the AV. I have a custom colored LC (nail polish) that has been very effective in bako.

Nice catch Risso!!

Risso, That's one of the crazy LMB I have been referring to. I have seen it go ape s h it on the top and sub surface terrorizing the minnow schools there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast