Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sm bay on the HUNT FOR A MONSTER! 9/30/13

Default Sm bay on the HUNT FOR A MONSTER! 9/30/13

Hey guys and gals hit the water today on my buddy's boat and decided to go do some local inshore recon fishing. He picked me up at 6:30am and we hit the water and were out of the harbor by 7:30. The weather today was beautiful, it was nice and flat with nice cool breeze around 12. We hit our first AO and picked off several lizard fish and sand dabs on the squid rods while I spent most of the time catching some good bait. For like the last 3 weeks when I would leave my house I would see Pelakins like hundreds diving right off the beach so I decided lets give it a try. Man was it awesome about 45 mins into the spot on our drift my drag took off (was almost completely tightened all the way) and just kept going for a good 2 Mins so I had my buddy turn the boat on and start the chase because my spool was getting super low. I fought this thing for a good 25-30min. About 20min the fish slows down and tires out with a couple runs in him still left. So I'm waiting for him to come up and THERE SHE BLOWS a easy 7ft+ thresher breaches straight out like a dolphin at this point full adrenaline rushing and now gaining lots of line back. We get the fish finally 10ft from the boat and he wanted to gaff it but I told him know and I took my knife and got as close as I could (being safe) and cut my leader. This was by far a fight of a life time it was awesome! Through the day it was the only one successfully c&r I had two more bites that went straight threw the leader. We decided to call it a day around 1pm and headed in.

Talk about a great day I love just being on the boat fishing it doesn't any get better.

Thank you for reading!
    -Blake

Great Fight...Stoked...
    5 Bait boats lit up off Torrance out by flat rock point tonight catching squid.
    DR

double post.
    Last edited by DockRat; 10-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Very, very cool catch man and kudos to you on the release!. Lots of life out there right now up and down the coast and beyond...way to take advantage of it.

Congrats!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Great Fight...Stoked...
    5 Bait boats lit up off Torrance out by flat rock point tonight catching squid.
    DR
    Hey dr yeah man I want to get out there. Still trying to figure out spots. The fight was pure insane man definit adrenaline rush!
    Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Very, very cool catch man and kudos to you on the release!. Lots of life out there right now up and down the coast and beyond...way to take advantage of it.

Congrats!
    Don
    Hey bachiboy yeah the coast has a wide variety going right now man my friend Eric said he met you and Ur a cool guy we should all meet up and fish sometime!

Nice Day Blake ! A 7 foot thresher that close is a awesome sight ! Nice on the release !

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcor View Post
    Nice Day Blake ! A 7 foot thresher that close is a awesome sight ! Nice on the release !

Corey
    Hey Corey yeah man it was awesome seeming him up close like that you should come out here with Ur boat and well land one on the go pro would be sick!

Great, what an adventure and getting the shark close to your boat then c&r. The fish is out there waiting for you to do it again and the memory of this catch will be with you forever.

Really cool!!! I love the ones you gotta chase down!